View Poll Results: How do you rate Brad Haddin as a test batsman ?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Haddin will be as good or better than Gilly

1 2.86%
  • Nah, he won't come close

13 37.14%
  • Haddin will prove to be a handy no.7 but not quite in Gilly's league

21 60.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you think Brad Haddin will be as a good a test batsman as Gilchrist ?

International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar

Do you think Brad Haddin will be as a good a test batsman as Gilchrist ?

Haddin must be a very good player if he can average 40+ in teh Aussie domestic comp.

I haven't seen him play much ....how do you guys rate him vis a vis Gilchrist ?

International Regular
    I think he will stick around a lot more than Gilchrist, and maybe average more by slow accumulation of runs. That said, if you are looking for quick runs, he can provide that, and has been ripping up the Australian bowlers for years in our domestic competition. But he will never have that aura, that 'X' factor Gilchrist seems to have.

KickUps Champion!
    Your asking two different questions. The thread title says do you think Haddin will be as good a test batsman as Gilchrist and then in the poll your asking how do you rate Haddin as a test batsman .

Well for the thread title question i'll say that no, Haddin will be nowhere near as good a test batsman as Gilchrist, but then again only 3 other wicket keeper batsman IMO have matched Gilchrist batting ability and thats Flower, Sangakkara and possibly Ames. However Flower was not as good a keeper as Gilchrist, Sangakkara doesn't keep regularly in tests and Ames averages around 8 runs less than Gilchrist.

As for the poll question I think that Haddin will definitely be a decent number 7 and one of the better wicket keeper batsman out there. I can't really see him averaging over 40 but then again anything above 30 is easily good enough for a wicket keeper batsman IMO.

International Debutant
    A handy number 7 who will prove decent (average 30-35 in test cricket for mine) but no way in the same league as Gilchrist. Gilchrist was a freak, I doubt Australia will produce another Gilchrist for a long while.

Quote Originally Posted by Polo23 View Post
    A handy number 7 who will prove decent (average 30-35 in test cricket for mine) but no way in the same league as Gilchrist. Gilchrist was a freak, I doubt Australia will produce another Gilchrist for a long while.
    -Australia
    +anyone

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by duffer View Post
    -Australia
    +anyone
    Why? Does Australia have a Gilchrist clone in the wings?

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    I havent had a chance to watch Haddin bat for an extensive period of time, although from what I have seen he looks to have a fairly impressive technique. I think the FC average is usually a pretty reasonable guage as to the highest level of performance that one can expect from a player and his record suggests that he could very well match Gilchrist.

My opinion of Gilchrist is that he overachieved due to the quality of bowlers that he played and that it was only towards the end of his career when the bowling standards rose that he was actually worked out. I dont doubt that he was a good batsman, however I firmly believe that he was one of those players who was fortunate to have a lot of things in his favor that enabled him to end up with a record that he didnt deserve.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

Quote Originally Posted by Polo23 View Post
    Why? Does Australia have a Gilchrist clone in the wings?
    Think you missed my point, which was why limit that to just Australia. There won't be another Gilchrist for a long time.

Haddin is a quality batsman and certainly has the ability to average 40+ in tests

Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool View Post
    I havent had a chance to watch Haddin bat for an extensive period of time, although from what I have seen he looks to have a fairly impressive technique. I think the FC average is usually a pretty reasonable guage as to the highest level of performance that one can expect from a player and his record suggests that he could very well match Gilchrist.

My opinion of Gilchrist is that he overachieved due to the quality of bowlers that he played and that it was only towards the end of his career when the bowling standards rose that he was actually worked out. I dont doubt that he was a good batsman, however I firmly believe that he was one of those players who was fortunate to have a lot of things in his favor that enabled him to end up with a record that he didnt deserve.
    That's nonsense

Gilchrist was a genius and, like virtually everyone in the history of the game, his average came down a bit towards the end of his career

If anything, he's become a bit underrated as, in the Warne "Best 100" thread, we've even had people claim that Rodney Marsh was his equal - Rodney Marsh was a simple slogger, good keeping to the quicks and hopeless to spin
    Last edited by social; 04-10-2008 at 12:34 AM.

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by duffer View Post
    Think you missed my point, which was why limit that to just Australia. There won't be another Gilchrist for a long time.
    Oh..right.

Yeah, I agree.

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    That's nonsense

Gilchrist was a genius and, like virtually everyone in the history of the game, his average came down a bit towards the end of his career
    Theres two ways to look at Gilchrist. If you were to look at just the period where he dominated poor bowling attacks across the globe better than a lot of players, you could call him a 'genius'. However, if you consider that he played better quality bowling towards the end of his career than the start you would consider him to not be near as good. I believe in the latter while you believe in the former.

IMHO, his record in India during his prime years, is a far cry from his overall career record. During his time, this was probably the best attack that he played and he was far from successful in both series. And if it werent for this inning in Sl: http://howstat.com.au/cricket/Statis...MatchCode=1706

his record there would have been even worse.

The real icing on the cake though was the Ashes in 2005, as I think its fairly obvious that he was worked out and just didnt suddenly go downhill when bowlers started to go around the wicket to him.

Theres a reason why Gilly's domestic record is worse than his international record and thats because he achieved more than he should have.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    From his stats Haddin would seem to have something about him, but (as with Steyn actually) whenever I've seen him play live (well, live on telly) he looks fairly ordinary. His batting technique looks almost too text book to me, as if he's been coached to within an inch of his life. I think he was playing with a busted finger in the Windies tests for the most part tho, so will reserve judgement. Suspect Ronchi will be the longer term option tho. Obviously cut more from the same attacking cloth as Gilly &, again going by the little I've seen, possibly the better keeper too.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Haddin will never have the awe effect of Gilly nor be as destructive him. But based on what i've seen of him i'd say he is good enough to average 40+ in test cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool View Post
    Theres two ways to look at Gilchrist. If you were to look at just the period where he dominated poor bowling attacks across the globe better than a lot of players, you could call him a 'genius'. However, if you consider that he played better quality bowling towards the end of his career than the start you would consider him to not be near as good. I believe in the latter while you believe in the former.

IMHO, his record in India during his prime years, is a far cry from his overall career record. During his time, this was probably the best attack that he played and he was far from successful in both series. And if it werent for this inning in Sl: http://howstat.com.au/cricket/Statis...MatchCode=1706

his record there would have been even worse.

The real icing on the cake though was the Ashes in 2005, as I think its fairly obvious that he was worked out and just didnt suddenly go downhill when bowlers started to go around the wicket to him.

Theres a reason why Gilly's domestic record is worse than his international record and thats because he achieved more than he should have.
    Lol, there is a lot wrong with this teco, but before i get stuck into a argument with you on this, i'll let one of the Australians have a bite first.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information