• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ contracts for next 12 months

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
The players offered contracts are:

Andre Adams
Nathan Astle
Shane Bond
Ian Butler
Chris Cairns
Stephen Fleming
Chris Harris
Robbie Hart
Matt Horne
Brendon McCullum
Craig McMillan
Kyle Mills
Jacob Oram
Mark Richardson
Mathew Sinclair
Scott Styris
Daryl Tuffey
Daniel Vettori
Lou Vincent
Paul Wiseman

What are your thoughts.?? Again I am not happy with it. We need some new young Blood there. Sinclair and Horne!!!!! I have seen enough of them and they don't seem to go away.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
In the end it was a fairly predictable list.

Matt Horne & Sinclair may be lucky to be there, but they can't just be taken straight off the list for someone like Jesse Ryder who is unproven still at domestic level anyway.

This list doesn't mean however that players like McIntosh, Cumming, Mason, Ryder etc are out of the picture..I mean Mason was 12th man for NZ in like 4 of the ODI's against India earlier in the year and he wasn't even in the top 20 players according to the NZCB.

But I hope that NZ follow the lead of England & the West Indies and include some younger players in the forthcoming season.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It's a sensibe move that - it'd be a terrible waste of a limited budget if untried players got contracts and proved to be not up to it.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Isn't it also a waste giving contracts to people that have had 100 chances and failed 98% of the times.

I agree that ryder etc shouldn't be there but Mason should be in my eyes

anzac

International Debutant
another question that the contracts leave unanswered is regarding the opening partner for Richardson & Fleming in Test & ODIs respectively.

None of the questions raised re the SL Tour seem any clearer!!!

:(

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
NZ selectors like to try players and keep them for 50 matches if they fail 95% of the time or more. :P

I think they are digging themselves into a large hole.. and digging it larger by the minute.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Rob Nicol looks to me like a bit of Mark Richardson casualty at this stage.

He's got an excellent FC average of 46 but he failed miserably in the OD's for Auckland last season & I think ended up averaging 17.

I'd say that he might only end up representing NZ in tests whereas I think Jesse Ryder will probably able to play both forms for NZ.

Craig

World Traveller
He would of been the perfect replacement for Astle on the SL tour in the Tests, unfortunately, the selectors didnt agree with me :( :( :(

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Craig said:
He would of been the perfect replacement for Astle on the SL tour in the Tests, unfortunately, the selectors didnt agree with me :( :( :(
The selectors don't seem to agree with a lot of people:P :P

anzac

International Debutant
not enough in form batsmen - esp for the longer game
and too many players carrying injuries or poor form

anzac

International Debutant
I am more than a little dismayed to see the likes of ENG, SAF & WI introducing a host of new faces / talent in both forms of the game, while the NZ selectors seem to have missed the boat !!!!

Craig

World Traveller
anzac said:
I am more than a little dismayed to see the likes of ENG, SAF & WI introducing a host of new faces / talent in both forms of the game, while the NZ selectors seem to have missed the boat !!!!

Agree 100%

Langeveldt

Soutie
Tamara said:
Isn't it also a waste giving contracts to people that have had 100 chances and failed 98% of the times.
IMO Horne and Sinclair are handy batsmen, but i can see your frustration in their repeated selection, time for new blood...

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Its a great shame about Sinclair...potentially he could be a batting masterclass, but he is also technically flawed and so he'll never be consistent enough against the better teams to be a regular test or ODI player.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If I remember correctly, Sinclair got an inside edge to his first (?) ball in Test cricket that went past his stumps and away for 4. He then proceeded to deal with the West Indian bowling. It was a brilliant start that he had, but it's really not panned out for him...a shame really.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
His 150 against South Africa in South Africa would have to be one of the greatest knocks by a New Zealander of all time.
It was great to watch because NZ were under tremendous pressure against a South African pace attack who at that stage were on top of their game.

Unfortunately Sinclair has a bit of an ego on him & believes there is nothing wrong with his technique or attitude towards the game. But im hoping that with the increasing amount of good batsmen around in NZ, Sinclair will be forced into correcting his technical issues and come back and play like he should have for the last 3 years.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Sinclair and Vincent both looked great when they came onto the scene however now I don't see they have a place in the Black Caps

anzac

International Debutant
Tim said:
His 150 against South Africa in South Africa would have to be one of the greatest knocks by a New Zealander of all time.
It was great to watch because NZ were under tremendous pressure against a South African pace attack who at that stage were on top of their game.

Unfortunately Sinclair has a bit of an ego on him & believes there is nothing wrong with his technique or attitude towards the game. But im hoping that with the increasing amount of good batsmen around in NZ, Sinclair will be forced into correcting his technical issues and come back and play like he should have for the last 3 years.
agreed - for my money Sinclair was probably the best batsman of that ill fated tour once the Test series started. When you consider the state of the team re injuries etc it is all the more remarkable that he has failed to live up to his potential.

It was because of that tour that I became a Sinclair fan and I was hoping he was showing signs of a return to past form in the Home series v India. However he has failed to deliver given his opportunities v SL and he must now be considered behind the likes of Astle, Styris & McMillan & even possibly Horne!

As I have said b4 Sinclair needs to emulate the efforts of Styris regarding his batting - both in technique & mental approach to his game.