• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ contracts for next 12 months

anzac

International Debutant
Vincent's game has suffered because he doesn't know what he is meant to be doing - playing as a Test Opener or a ODI hustler a la Bevan. I think his mental and technical game has suffered as a consequence.

IMO he should be allowed to go back to where he made his impact on the international stage - as an Opener for both forms of the game & keep his technique simple - don't try to be clever or to belt the cover off the ball so early. The longer he bats the better his innings becomes - like Bevan. When he trys to make things happen too early that is when he wastes his wicket or someone else gets run out.

The best ODI innings I have seen from him was his half century v India with Bond's lovely cameo.

:)

anzac

International Debutant
The current squad has several players who were introduced at a relatively inexperienced / early age.....Fleming, McMillan, Vettori, Tuffey - all made their Test debuts in their early 20's or younger, others were not past 24.

I refuse to believe that there is now a lack of batting talent to justify further such introductions. I only ask that the player be given a realistic opportunity during a series and are treated fairly - which may mean removong some of the 'cling ons' currently in the squads!

:!(

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ is not short of batting talent..I can rattle off names like

Jesse Ryder, Rob Nicol, Peter Fulton, Jamie How, Neil Broom, Michael Papps, Tim McIntosh, Ross Taylor..the list goes on.

What concerns me is the lack of fast & spin bowling youth in the country but I know that NZ cricket are doing their very best to try and fix this with the limited resources they have.

anzac

International Debutant
oh I'm sure the talent is there & probably more so than when the current players made their youthful debuts - it's just that the selectors seem unwilling to do so anymore.

Part of the problem may be that several of their recent youthful intros have taken some years of inconsistency to get anywhere near their potential when they debued - Vincent, Oram & Tuffey have all struggled for extended periods of time & are perhaps even now yet to cement their places in the starting lineups.

:)

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Spin is a big problem however I think NZ cricket have seen the problem and working on it. We have talent in spin but we don't have the conditions that do you any good to play on as a spinner.

Kimbo

International Debutant
The conditions are ok for spin. Better than England, at least the ball doesnt sit up and yell "hit me".

anzac

International Debutant
what's the feed back on how those spinners went that were taken to SL for development?????

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I talked to a guy from nz cricket about that and he said it was good for them and they were very tempted to replace Bond with Bruce Martin rather than Wiseman in the OD squad.

However he siad they spent a lot of time bowling in the nets to no-one as the others had more specific drills to do.

They played a couple of club games while there.

Better than England, at least the ball doesnt sit up and yell "hit me
It does when I bowl it anyway.:D

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
At the start of the Sri Lankan tour I would have wanted the same thing because I think Martin is a good bowler but Wizzer did a good job on that tour so he deserves to be 2nd ranked spinner in NZ.

Craig

World Traveller
A wrist spinner (leg spin) is they are good enough, will turn it on any pitch, but a finger spinner (off spin), will only ever really be effective on turning wickets.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Surely Brendon McCullum is not NZ's best keeper? I saw him in AUS when he debuted, and even though that was some time ago, his batting skills didn't seem up to scratch.

And Sinclair? No comment.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
gunk said:
Surely Brendon McCullum is not NZ's best keeper? I saw him in AUS when he debuted, and even though that was some time ago, his batting skills didn't seem up to scratch.

But what does his batting have to do with his keeping?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
McCullum is a very good keeper...ok he had the one misfortune against India in the World Cup that he'll always be remembered for but his keeping is excellent.

At the moment he's a little like Ramnaresh Sarwan was in the Australian tour where he could buy a run but I expect in the next 2 years he'll develop.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I don't rate McCullam and don't think he should be in the team. I think we have better guys in our Domestic comp. that should be there.

If we want a really good keeper who would bat low and more hold a team together if we were 7/100 I think NZ should look at Robbie Hart.

However I think Bevin Griggs and Michael Papps will soon take over McCullams place. Both are good batters.