• Not Australian - No

17 28.81%
  • Corrin, what a guy

8 13.56%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you like Matthew Hayden

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity

Do you like Matthew Hayden

Similar to the thread Richard made about Andrew Symonds a few months ago...

Not interested in whether or not you judge him to be a good cricketer, purely on whether or not you like the guy..

I myself have always found him a pain until recently, the "obnoxious weed" comment actually put him up in my estimation somewhat.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Gun fella. There was a Pura Cup game at Alan Border field a few years ago, just before he cemented his spot as Australia's opener and after he was out and the Bulls were batting. He came out to the hill to do some stretches and started talking to some guys about South Africa and surfing.

Also, was more than happy to pose for some photos while on the field in the Caribbean. And he gave me a wave.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Can't really say I do these days, though it's a pretty recent-ish thing.

Was about 2004/05 sort of time when I started to have some vague dislike of him and that intensified in the whole Ishant-Sharma-impressiongate thing in 2007/08.

As everyone knows, I've never rated him as a batsman at all, and that dates back to 2000/01, and has rarely altered much.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Look for me Haydos is a guy who seems to be a really nice bloke, but sometimes he comes up with some obnoxious statements which end up making him look like a dick at times, otherwise when you see him giving interviews, or interacting with fans, etc he comes across as a very warm and decent guy.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    When he had that spat with Colly in '05 they both went up a long way in my estimation - great to see them both taking a mickey mouse game so seriously

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    I always thought he used to come across as a bit of a blow-hard at times & still doesn't strike one as a player with an especially interesting mental hinterland, but have mellowed towards him somewhat recently. Partly because I think if anyone sticks around for long enough they begin to assume national teasure status just because they seem part of the furniture (hasn't happened with Punter yet tho, tbf ) & partly because of the way he's given so little credit in certain corners of CW.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    As everyone knows, I've never rated him as a batsman at all, and that dates back to 2000/01, and has rarely altered much.
    I agree. As a mate of mine once put it, "he's Graeme Hick in a good team, and he reckons he's a legend". If he'd had to face Glenn McGrath in his Test career like most other openers in world cricket his preposterously flattering average would have been waaaay down

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Look, I was all set to vote yes, then I saw the options.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Pinball Champion!
    Anyone who tells Harbhajan Singh where to go is worth a beer in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    I agree. As a mate of mine once put it, "he's Graeme Hick in a good team, and he reckons he's a legend". If he'd had to face Glenn McGrath in his Test career like most other openers in world cricket his preposterously flattering average would have been waaaay down
    His FC average would contest that quite easily.
    ★★★★★

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Genuine question, how many domestic runs has he scored V McGrath?

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Genuine question, how many domestic runs has he scored V McGrath?
    I couldn't give you an exact number as I don't know of statistical database that carries such info. However, when I looked over his record v McGrath which is very few, he did very very well. And in general, he has done very very well against all Australian bowlers in the domestic competition.

So to say his average would be very very low if he were to have faced them is just utter non-sense. Likely to be lower than his overall average, but not enough to put him sub-50 - just like great batsmen in other test teams, regardless of position.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    I couldn't give you an exact number as I don't know of statistical database that carries such info. However, when I looked over his record v McGrath which is very few, he did very very well. And in general, he has done very very well against all Australian bowlers in the domestic competition.

So to say his average would be very very low if he were to have faced them is just utter non-sense. Likely to be lower than his overall average, but not enough to put him sub-50 - just like great batsmen in other test teams, regardless of position.
    Ah well, maybe I'm wrong then

Have had a love/hate relationship with Haydos. In my early days of University, when I was struggling to stay afloat, so difficult was the work, I used Matt as a real inspiration - he was my absolute role model. This was back in 1996/1997 when he was a fringe Australian player. I really admired back then the way he was so ridiculously optimistic and persistent. Even when he got dropped back then, nothing shaked his faith in himself.

Then there was the hate stage from 2003-2006 when, having cemented himself in the team, he seemed to lose his innocence and starting acting like a real jerk on the field - an absolute bully, and a sharp contrast from the optimistic, innocent Haydos of the 1990's.

However, lately I've come to appreciate that cricketers are out there to win, and that cricket is just a game. Thus, I've become more tolerant of the likes of Ponting and Hayden, to the point where I'm back loving them for being the competitive bully boys that they are.
    Last edited by howardj; 30-09-2008 at 02:14 PM.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    Have had a love/hate relationship with Haydos. In my early days of University, when I was struggling to stay afloat, so difficult was the work, I used Matt as a real inspiration - he was my absolute role model. This was back in 1996/1997 when he was a fringe Australian player. I really admired back then the way he was so ridiculously optimistic and persistent. Even when he got dropped back then, nothing shaked his faith in himself.

Then there was the hate stage from 2003-2006 when, having cemented himself in the team, he seemed to lose his innocence and starting acting like a real jerk on the field - an absolute bully, and a sharp contrast from the optimistic, innocent Haydos of the 1990's.

However, lately I've come to appreciate that cricketers are out there to win, and that cricket is just a game. Thus, I've become more tolerant of the likes of Ponting and Hayden, to the point where I'm back loving them for being the competitive bully boys that they are.
    Did you get all the easy questions right and then blag your way through the harder ones?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information