• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do you like Matthew Hayden

Do you like Matthew Hayden

• Total voters

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Similar to the thread Richard made about Andrew Symonds a few months ago...

Not interested in whether or not you judge him to be a good cricketer, purely on whether or not you like the guy..

I myself have always found him a pain until recently, the "obnoxious weed" comment actually put him up in my estimation somewhat.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gun fella. There was a Pura Cup game at Alan Border field a few years ago, just before he cemented his spot as Australia's opener and after he was out and the Bulls were batting. He came out to the hill to do some stretches and started talking to some guys about South Africa and surfing.

Also, was more than happy to pose for some photos while on the field in the Caribbean. And he gave me a wave.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Can't really say I do these days, though it's a pretty recent-ish thing.

Was about 2004/05 sort of time when I started to have some vague dislike of him and that intensified in the whole Ishant-Sharma-impressiongate thing in 2007/08.

As everyone knows, I've never rated him as a batsman at all, and that dates back to 2000/01, and has rarely altered much.

pup11

International Coach
Look for me Haydos is a guy who seems to be a really nice bloke, but sometimes he comes up with some obnoxious statements which end up making him look like a dick at times, otherwise when you see him giving interviews, or interacting with fans, etc he comes across as a very warm and decent guy.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When he had that spat with Colly in '05 they both went up a long way in my estimation - great to see them both taking a mickey mouse game so seriously

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I always thought he used to come across as a bit of a blow-hard at times & still doesn't strike one as a player with an especially interesting mental hinterland, but have mellowed towards him somewhat recently. Partly because I think if anyone sticks around for long enough they begin to assume national teasure status just because they seem part of the furniture (hasn't happened with Punter yet tho, tbf :p) & partly because of the way he's given so little credit in certain corners of CW.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
As everyone knows, I've never rated him as a batsman at all, and that dates back to 2000/01, and has rarely altered much.
I agree. As a mate of mine once put it, "he's Graeme Hick in a good team, and he reckons he's a legend". If he'd had to face Glenn McGrath in his Test career like most other openers in world cricket his preposterously flattering average would have been waaaay down

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I agree. As a mate of mine once put it, "he's Graeme Hick in a good team, and he reckons he's a legend". If he'd had to face Glenn McGrath in his Test career like most other openers in world cricket his preposterously flattering average would have been waaaay down
His FC average would contest that quite easily.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Genuine question, how many domestic runs has he scored V McGrath?
I couldn't give you an exact number as I don't know of statistical database that carries such info. However, when I looked over his record v McGrath which is very few, he did very very well. And in general, he has done very very well against all Australian bowlers in the domestic competition.

So to say his average would be very very low if he were to have faced them is just utter non-sense. Likely to be lower than his overall average, but not enough to put him sub-50 - just like great batsmen in other test teams, regardless of position.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I couldn't give you an exact number as I don't know of statistical database that carries such info. However, when I looked over his record v McGrath which is very few, he did very very well. And in general, he has done very very well against all Australian bowlers in the domestic competition.

So to say his average would be very very low if he were to have faced them is just utter non-sense. Likely to be lower than his overall average, but not enough to put him sub-50 - just like great batsmen in other test teams, regardless of position.
Ah well, maybe I'm wrong then

howardj

International Coach
Have had a love/hate relationship with Haydos. In my early days of University, when I was struggling to stay afloat, so difficult was the work, I used Matt as a real inspiration - he was my absolute role model. This was back in 1996/1997 when he was a fringe Australian player. I really admired back then the way he was so ridiculously optimistic and persistent. Even when he got dropped back then, nothing shaked his faith in himself.

Then there was the hate stage from 2003-2006 when, having cemented himself in the team, he seemed to lose his innocence and starting acting like a real jerk on the field - an absolute bully, and a sharp contrast from the optimistic, innocent Haydos of the 1990's.

However, lately I've come to appreciate that cricketers are out there to win, and that cricket is just a game. Thus, I've become more tolerant of the likes of Ponting and Hayden, to the point where I'm back loving them for being the competitive bully boys that they are.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Have had a love/hate relationship with Haydos. In my early days of University, when I was struggling to stay afloat, so difficult was the work, I used Matt as a real inspiration - he was my absolute role model. This was back in 1996/1997 when he was a fringe Australian player. I really admired back then the way he was so ridiculously optimistic and persistent. Even when he got dropped back then, nothing shaked his faith in himself.

Then there was the hate stage from 2003-2006 when, having cemented himself in the team, he seemed to lose his innocence and starting acting like a real jerk on the field - an absolute bully, and a sharp contrast from the optimistic, innocent Haydos of the 1990's.

However, lately I've come to appreciate that cricketers are out there to win, and that cricket is just a game. Thus, I've become more tolerant of the likes of Ponting and Hayden, to the point where I'm back loving them for being the competitive bully boys that they are.
Did you get all the easy questions right and then blag your way through the harder ones?

howardj

International Coach
Did you get all the easy questions right and then blag your way through the harder ones?
haha Yeah, he does slaughter some interviews Haydos. He'd have to be the worst interviewee in the Australian team, the way he waffles on and mixes his metaphors - he never makes much sense. If ever there was a guy who should let the bat do his talking, it's him.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Can't stand him. I can't stand anyone of Hayden, Symonds, Harbhajan, Sreesanth. Don't want anything to do with them, and will be actively rooting against all four. Symonds has given me much satisfaction already, hopefully he stays out of the team. Now if only the BCCI do something about that idiot Harbhajan.

sanga1337

U19 Captain
Look for me Haydos is a guy who seems to be a really nice bloke, but sometimes he comes up with some obnoxious statements which end up making him look like a dick at times, otherwise when you see him giving interviews, or interacting with fans, etc he comes across as a very warm and decent guy.
AWTA. Seems like a nice enough guy, but doesn't seem to be the smartest person either at times

Last edited: