• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do you like Matthew Hayden

Do you like Matthew Hayden

• Total voters

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Obviously don't know the bloke, but he seems to suffer from white line fever. Don't mind him as a bloke, but he went down in my estimation with the Ishant impersonation thing this year.
Does a fair bit of work with charity apparently, which must count for something.

Top_Cat

Don't ask why I did this (didn't take long , anyway). Just that Haydos can and has scored against the best Australia has to offer;

1993/94

In a season where McGrath took wickets against everyone and NSW were the benchmark side, Haydos hit him for 173 in this match (out of 281 in the 2nd dig), didn't play in the return match;

http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1993-94/AUS_LOCAL/SS/QLD_NSW_SS_04-07NOV1993.html

1994/95

Against Vic with Merv Hughes and Paul Reiffel, a damn-near run-a-ball double ton in the days when they were a rarity, especially in Aussie domestic cricket;

http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1994-95/AUS_LOCAL/SS/QLD_VIC_SS_11-14NOV1994.html

Really kicked on after QLD won the Shield, was a huge reason why they won it regularly thereafter in fact.

1997/98

181 against a full-strength NSW side including McGrath, the Waughs, etc.

http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1997-98/AUS_LOCAL/SS/QLD_NSW_SS_15-18OCT1997.html

1999/00 (season before getting picked in the Aussie side again

Against the Lee's and McGill in Sydney;

http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1999-2000/AUS_LOCAL/SS/NSW_QLD_SS_19-22NOV1999.html

And they were just the examples I could remember off the top of my head. Fact is, before Haydos was picked again in 2001, he was the most feared opening batsman in the country at home or away, on damp fliers (which there plenty of in QLD in the 90's) and roads. It didn't matter, he hit you and hit you hard.

As for the bloke, what I've heard about him suggests he's just a hard nut on the field. I'm sure he's a nice bloke generally.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Not especially. I don't hate the guy personally or anything but he's not one of my favourite players to watch, and personality wise he doesn't exactly seem my sort of bloke, but you could say that about most professional sportspeople.

I do think he's very good though, and underrated on these boards.

Jakester1288

International Regular
I like him. He seems like a good bloke, a real family man. His interviews are a bit scratchy, but that doesn't really matter. He puts ages into practicing and when he plays, he usually comes out tops on the bowlers.

_Ed_

Not especially. I don't hate the guy personally or anything but he's not one of my favourite players to watch, and personality wise he doesn't exactly seem my sort of bloke, but you could say that about most professional sportspeople.

I do think he's very good though, and underrated on these boards.
Yeah I feel pretty much the same way. Got a lot of respect for him as a batsman but don't really like him and I don't, on the whole, enjoy watching him bat.

The one exception to that was when I was at the ground for his 181 against NZ, that was pretty special to watch. The sound as the ball came off the bat that day was unlike anything I'd heard before at a cricket match.

Polo23

International Debutant
I can't get past the fact that he is the biggest bible bashing hypocrite cricket has ever seen.

So no, I do not.

Top_Cat

Yeah I feel pretty much the same way. Got a lot of respect for him as a batsman but don't really like him and I don't, on the whole, enjoy watching him bat.

The one exception to that was when I was at the ground for his 181 against NZ, that was pretty special to watch. The sound as the ball came off the bat that day was unlike anything I'd heard before at a cricket match.
Yeah he doesn't so much hit the ball as abuse it, some days.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Agree that he seems to have the white line fever.

Don't particularly like him and neither do I rate him as high as some people do here as a batsman, but I do think that by a number of others in this forum, he is almost criminally under rated..... A bit like Sehwag in that sense..

Top_Cat

Agree that he seems to have the white line fever.

Don't particularly like him and neither do I rate him as high as some people do here as a batsman, but I do think that by a number of others in this forum, he is almost criminally under rated..... A bit like Sehwag in that sense..
Opening batsmen, I think, generally get under-rated unless they're the stodgy types, like openers are 'supposed' to be. Then, instead, they get over-rated like Akash Chopra has been lately or Chris Rogers was before he played against India.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Irritates me no end. Not sure why, just does. Have never really been a fan of him as a cricketer or a person.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Irritates me no end. Not sure why, just does. Have never really been a fan of him as a cricketer or a person.
AWTA

Although, he kept Jimmeh and Jamie out of an opening spot (who were 2 of my favourite batsmen when I was a youngster), so I still hold a grudge against him for that.

Polo23

International Debutant
Never seen Haydos quote from the Holy Book before.
You're kidding right? He's always bitching on about how religious he is, and how he thanks god after every ton he scores. It is sickening. Damn hypocrite.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
You're kidding right? He's always bitching on about how religious he is, and how he thanks god after every ton he scores. It is sickening. Damn hypocrite.
Brought about a great comment in regards to domestic cricket, though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Opening batsmen, I think, generally get under-rated unless they're the stodgy types, like openers are 'supposed' to be. Then, instead, they get over-rated like Akash Chopra has been lately or Chris Rogers was before he played against India.
I think it's basically that only a very small number have ever been successful against high-quality bowling by playing strokes. Good bowlers with a new ball have to be treated with care, else you won't often last long.

Before the last 7 years, you could pretty much count the number of high-quality strokeplaying openers on your hands. Since the quality of bowling has gone down, strokeplaying openers who've managed Test success have gone through the roof. But before then almost all the best were stonewallers, and that wasn't because it was seen as the way things were "supposed" to be, it was because it was usually the only way that worked.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
personality wise he doesn't exactly seem my sort of bloke, but you could say that about most professional sportspeople.
Could say it about most people, in my experience, TBH.

Are there many CWers, for instance, who are your sort of blokes?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Could say it about most people, in my experience, TBH.

Are there many CWers, for instance, who are your sort of blokes?
Odd question, but yeah, there's quite a few actually. I'd list them but I have this paralysing fear of rejection.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Don't ask why I did this (didn't take long , anyway). Just that Haydos can and has scored against the best Australia has to offer;

1993/94

In a season where McGrath took wickets against everyone and NSW were the benchmark side, Haydos hit him for 173 in this match (out of 281 in the 2nd dig), didn't play in the return match;

http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1993-94/AUS_LOCAL/SS/QLD_NSW_SS_04-07NOV1993.html

1994/95

Against Vic with Merv Hughes and Paul Reiffel, a damn-near run-a-ball double ton in the days when they were a rarity, especially in Aussie domestic cricket;

http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1994-95/AUS_LOCAL/SS/QLD_VIC_SS_11-14NOV1994.html

Really kicked on after QLD won the Shield, was a huge reason why they won it regularly thereafter in fact.

1997/98

181 against a full-strength NSW side including McGrath, the Waughs, etc.

http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1997-98/AUS_LOCAL/SS/QLD_NSW_SS_15-18OCT1997.html

1999/00 (season before getting picked in the Aussie side again

Against the Lee's and McGill in Sydney;

http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1999-2000/AUS_LOCAL/SS/NSW_QLD_SS_19-22NOV1999.html

And they were just the examples I could remember off the top of my head. Fact is, before Haydos was picked again in 2001, he was the most feared opening batsman in the country at home or away, on damp fliers (which there plenty of in QLD in the 90's) and roads. It didn't matter, he hit you and hit you hard.

As for the bloke, what I've heard about him suggests he's just a hard nut on the field. I'm sure he's a nice bloke generally.
Thanks T_C. I made a similar post a while ago but I can't find it :/.