• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South African Domestic Season 2008/9

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Kicks of this Thursday with the first round of SuperSport games...

Squads...

Cobras: Brendon Adams, Ryan Canning (wk), Henry Davids, Sybrand Engelbrecht, Claude Henderson, Rory Kleinveldt, Charl Langeveldt, Richard Levi, Justin Ontong (capt), Francois Plaatjies, Vernon Philander, Andrew Puttick, Pepler Sandri, Abdul Aziz Temoor, Stiaan van Zyl, Lee Roy Walters (wk), JP Duminy, Herschelle Gibbs, Graeme Smith, Monde Zondeki.

In- Adams (Boland), Canning (Western Province), Engelbrecht (Northerns), Temoor (Western Province), Ontong (Lions), Walters (Boland).
Out- Thami Tsolekile, Paul Adams, Justin Kemp, Con de Lange (Eagles), Jacques Kallis (Warriors), Ashwell Prince (Warriors), Mark Boucher (Warriors).

Dolphins: Yusuf Abdullah , HD Ackerman, Ahmed Amla (capt), Pierre de Bruyn, Quinton Friend, Ugasen Govender, Jon Kent, Imraan Khan, Johan Louw, Saidi Mlongo, Daryn Smit (wk), Alfonso Thomas, Morne van Vuuren, Rivash Gobind, David Miller, Bradley Barnes (wk), Sanath Jayasuriya.

In- Miller (rookie), Barnes (rookie), Ackerman (Warriors), Jayasuriya (only available for limited overs cricket).
Out- Jonathan Vandiar (Lions), Doug Watson.

Eagles:: Loots Bosman, Boeta Dippenaar, Morne van Wyk (wk), Dillon du Preez, Victor Mpitsang, Thandi Tshabalala, Ryan Bailey, Dean Elgar, CJ de Villiers, Reeza Hendricks, Jandre Coetzee, Alan Kruger, Con de Lange, Adrian McLaren, Mario Saliwa, Riley Rossouw.

In- Coetzee (Griqualand West), Hendricks (Griqualand West), de Lange (Cobras), Rossouw (rookie).
Out- Jacques Rudolph, Nicky Boje, Johan van der Wath, Ryan McLaren.

Titans: Farhaan Behardien, Gulam Bodi, Jaco Booysen, Francious du Plessis, Pierre Joubert (capt), Heino Kuhn (wk), Pieter Malan, Ethy Mbhalati, Brendon Reddy, Blake Snijman, Roelof van der Merwe, Muhammed Imran Tahir, Martin van Jaarsveld, Basheer Walter, AB de Villiers, Paul Harris, Albie Morkel, Morne Morkel, Dale Steyn, Matthew Arnold, Rushdi Jappie.

In- Arnold (rookie), Walter (Eastern Province), Snijman (Lions), Malan (rookie).
Out- Andre Nel (Lions).

Warriors: Johan Botha, Mark Boucher (wk), Zander de Bruyn (capt), Athenkosi Dyili, Colin Ingram, Arno Jacobs, Davey Jacobs (wk), Riaan Jeggels, Jacques Kallis, Justin Kreusch, Lyall Meyer, Sinethemba Mjekula, Makhaya Ntini, Mario Olivier, Wayne Parnell, Robin Peterson, Ashwell Prince, Michael Smith, JJ Smuts, Juan Theron, Craig Thyssen, Lonwabo Tsotsobe.

In- Boucher (Cobras), Prince (Cobras), Kallis (Cobras), Parnell (rookie), Smuts (rookie).
Out- HD Ackerman (Dolphins).

Can't find the Lions squad online...

Nationally contracted players will be available to their franchises but on phased-in basis - so only Hashim Amla, Neil McKenzie, Johan Botha, Morne Morkel, Andre Nel, Ashwell Prince, Paul Harris, JP Duminy, Monde Zondeki, Albie Morkel are available this week for selection.

According to reports in South Africa, Ryan McLaren will play for South Africa against Kenya and Bangladesh so he may still turn out for the Eagles.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
As I probably wrote last season, disappointed not to see Maurice Aronstam with a Titans contract.

IMO, would have been an England player if he had done a KP (and if maybe was a little less nice)

Salamuddin

International Debutant
To Goughy/TT Boy, how highly rated is Jonathan Vandiar IN RSA ?

saw him at the u-19 wc this year and he was one of the best batsmen at that tournament.
A friend of mine in RSA reckons he's one of the most talented batsmen the country has produced since readmission....have u guys heard similar stuff about him ??

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
To Goughy/TT Boy, how highly rated is Jonathan Vandiar IN RSA ?

saw him at the u-19 wc this year and he was one of the best batsmen at that tournament.
A friend of mine in RSA reckons he's one of the most talented batsmen the country has produced since readmission....have u guys heard similar stuff about him ??
Big. Ray Jennings, South Africa’s U19 coach said he would have Vandiar already in and around the national team and the Dolphins were mortified when Vandiar left for the Lions. His a really exciting player to watch but Cricket South Africa seem more concerned at the moment in bringing on his leg-spin. Vandiar was sent to India during the off-season to a spinner’s clinic and there is a real want for him to become a fully fledged all-rounder. His a good fielder as well, quick across the ground and that was evident during the U19 World Cup where South Africa’s fielding was on a different planet to any other side.

Pretty brave move on his part opting for the Lions, a side which has struggled for sometime but that should at least guarantee him a place straight away. Looking forward to seeing how he and the likes of Parnell and van Zyl get on this year.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
As I probably wrote last season, disappointed not to see Maurice Aronstam with a Titans contract.

IMO, would have been an England player if he had done a KP (and if maybe was a little less nice)
Interesting but you do wonder how good Aronstam truly is if the Titans have given three new contracts to openers, two rookies (Malan, Jappie) and one a overhyped and pretty poor player from the Lions, Blake Snijman.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting but you do wonder how good Aronstam truly is if the Titans have given three new contracts to openers, two rookies (Malan, Jappie) and one a overhyped and pretty poor player from the Lions, Blake Snijman.
He is, IMO, the best player I have played with. Now maybe that doesnt mean he can kick on at the next level but he was fantastic and everything about him (apart from being a really nice guy, maybe to a fault) said 'quality cricketer'.

Take away his batting and he is also a better spinner the van der Merwe as well.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Look out for JJ Smuts.. A local boy who I've played a bit with.. Used to score hundreds every week for school and it will be interesting to see if he can make a name for himself in FC cricket,..

popepouri

State Vice-Captain

I wonder why he never went elsewhere. The problem (well not really a problem) is the Titans have the two spinners in Harris and Tahir so he played as a sixth bowler, despite how well he bowls. Not only that but he had a poor season with the bat last year. I would think it's time to move on to greener pastures with another franchise. Is it still possible for him to get picked up?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I wonder why he never went elsewhere. The problem (well not really a problem) is the Titans have the two spinners in Harris and Tahir so he played as a sixth bowler, despite how well he bowls. Not only that but he had a poor season with the bat last year. I would think it's time to move on to greener pastures with another franchise. Is it still possible for him to get picked up?
I know why he didnt go anywhere as Ive asked him on a number of occassions (though admittedly not for a year or so)

The answer, IIRC, is that there is a family business and he didnt want to leave.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Look out for JJ Smuts.. A local boy who I've played a bit with.. Used to score hundreds every week for school and it will be interesting to see if he can make a name for himself in FC cricket,..
I wasn't overly impressed with Smuts in the U19 World Cup but Ray White is a big fan. Also, Jon-Jon attends the Nelson Mandela University (along with Wayne Parnell) where national selector, Shafiek Abrahams works, so if he does impress it will be closely followed. Smuts isn't actually apart of the Warriors side for their first SuperSport game but the franchise last year was forced to open with the likes of Johan Botha, so he should get a fair crack this coming season.

Apparently, Jon-Jon is also a good tennis player. Him and his younger brother, Kelly (who has also represented South African U19’s in cricket), recently competed in a Eastern Province tennis championship final.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
What province do each of the franchises roughly represent?

Ie I'm fairly sure the Dolphins are Natal, but no idea about anyone else.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Nelson Mandela University
That's a fine university...

Ok I admit I went there

Well it looks like David Wiese didn't get a contract either. He's another player that needs to move on or he'll get swallowed up by the other Titan all-rounders and lose his spot.

Langeveldt

Soutie
What province do each of the franchises roughly represent?

Ie I'm fairly sure the Dolphins are Natal, but no idea about anyone else.

COBRAS - Western Cape
WARRIORS - Eastern Cape
DOLPHINS - KwaZulu Natal
EAGLES - Free State + Northern Cape
TITANS - Limpopo + Mpamulanga
LIONS - Gauteng

Langeveldt

Soutie
That's a fine university...

Ok I admit I went there

Well it looks like David Wiese didn't get a contract either. He's another player that needs to move on or he'll get swallowed up by the other Titan all-rounders and lose his spot.
Did you? Haha, I've kind of turned down an offer there so I can go back to my pilots license.. Take it you'll have frequented Toby Joe's then.. I used to live just off Strandfontein Road

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
COBRAS - Western Cape
WARRIORS - Eastern Cape
DOLPHINS - KwaZulu Natal
EAGLES - Free State + Northern Cape
TITANS - Limpopo + Mpamulanga
LIONS - Gauteng
Titans is mainly Northern Gauteng. Im not sure if you are trying to wind me up :-O

It is combined Northens and Easterns and both are Gauteng.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Titans is mainly Northern Gauteng. Im not sure if you are trying to wind me up :-O

It is combined Northens and Easterns and both are Gauteng.
Confuses the hell out of me, so I just put what province they mainly represent and draw cricketers from.. As there is no such place as 'Northern Gauteng'.. They used to be called "Northerns" after Northern Province, yet their stadium is well inside Gauteng..

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Confuses the hell out of me, so I just put what province they mainly represent and draw cricketers from.. As there is no such place as 'Northern Gauteng'.. They used to be called "Northerns" after Northern Province, yet their stadium is well inside Gauteng..
They used to be called Northerns (and still are) after Northern Transvaal. The Transvaal became Gauteng and therefore it is still Gauteng they are as much of Gauteng as the Lions. Especially as the 2 main parts (Northerns and Easterns were part of the Transvaal, now Gauteng). Though Limpopo was certainly Northern Transvaal. It does get complicated.

That Titans and Lions are both from Gauteng is a historical relic. I see it as Pretoria and outer lying areas and provinces and Jo'burg and its similar.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member

Lions squad

Neil McKenzie (c), Stephen Cook, Alviro Petersen, Vaughn van Jaarsveld, Jonathan Vandiar, Werner Coetsee, Matthew Harris (wk), Cliffe Deacon, André Nel, Etienne Gerber, Garnett Kruger, Craig Alexander, Jean Symes, Heinrich le Roux, Friedel de Wet.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Looks like this will be the last season of six franchises as Griqualand West and Border are reportedly going to become franchises from next season.

Marius

International Debutant
Re: the Titans. Easterns is also one of the teams that contribute to the franchise, and they are the old Eastern Transvaal, which was basically the East Rand and what is now Mpumalanga. Willowmoore Park, their stadium is in Benoni (my hometown), which is also well inside Gauteng, and only about 35km from the Wanderers.

Don't get too many cricketers coming from the East Rand that I can think of. Off the top of my head: Andre Nel, the Morkel brothers, and Andrew Hall (although he is from Alberton, which although on the East Rand, falls under the Lions franchise I think).