• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South African Domestic Season 2008/9

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Good to see Frylinck going elsewhere. Lets hope he can fulfill his potential.

With two new franchises coming in, I really hope some players who bowl spin from Titans jump ship. Obviously they're known for producing talented players and they have plenty of depth but I think it ruins the potential of up and comers. I'd like to see Roelof play in the Supersport series, or Faf becoming a front line spinning alrounder in all forms of the game or even Harro playing in the Pro 20.

Where finding a spinner is an issue in SA, these guys need lots of overs and they need to play every game on the highest level they can.
And the best of the lot (IM possibly dated Opinion) cant get a game or a mention in amongst the Titans spinners. :@

Last edited:

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Well looking at the possible Border side and I don't see a frontline spinner in their ranks, even in the SAA provincial. Both Peterson and Botha are from Eastern Province so we can hope.

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Commentator, Jeremy Fredericks is a good laugh. Speaks Afrikaans when his doing English commentary and English when his meant to be speaking Afrikaans and tells some bizarre cricketing and non-cricketing stories.

Morne van Wyk has gone grey pretty quick.

Friend is pretty lively for the Dolphins.
I remember Kepler Wessels doing that, went into a savage point about the state of spin bowling in South Africa that he'd clearly spent half an hour thinking about, only to be shot down for speaking in the wrong language for five minutes.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
If you're talking about Aronstam, it reinforces my point. Such a pity.
Not to **** on anyone’s parade but Titans coach, Richard Pybus is a bit of spin guru and if Aronstam was a rough diamond given he can bat, surely he would have featured more often? Considering the Titans love their spinners and have opened the bowling in recent times with Harris and van Jaarsveld. I haven’t seen Aronstam but Goughy knows the score and I’m sure he was top talent but maybe since that period, his regressed?

It was only five years ago when everyone from the Titans said Faf du Plessis is a better batsman than AB de Villiers and it would be Faf who played for South Africa not AB.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Its possible he regressed, its possible he bowls it a fraction too slow. But there is no way on the planet Faf is a better bowler.

However, its more likely that he didnt fit or didnt have the forceful personality needed to succeed.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Its possible he regressed, its possible he bowls it a fraction too slow. But there is no way on the planet Faf is a better bowler.

However, its more likely that he didnt fit or didnt have the forceful personality needed to succeed.
Faf has improved leaps and bounds with the ball over the past twelve months. He didn’t have a flipper until recently and was more known for bowling flat leg-breaks, not ones that could turn yards. Definitely has impressed me and for a leggie he has good control, doesn’t bowl too many half-trackers and I think he will be bowled a lot for Lancashire in the coming county season.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
What freaking track are they playiong on? Ive never played at the ABSA Oval but I wish I had. 124 all out and still have a first innings lead! Sounds like heaven.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
So we are getting 2 more franchises? Where are they going to be based?
East London (Border) and Kimberely (Griqualand West). But the decision has now been delayed and there are some concerns about the financial capital of the potential sides.

Langeveldt

Soutie
East London (Border) and Kimberely (Griqualand West). But the decision has now been delayed and there are some concerns about the financial capital of the potential sides.
Hmm, thats annoying, so we're going to lose a load of players to Slummies.. Oh well, EL does need a cricket franchise

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Hmm, thats annoying, so we're going to lose a load of players to Slummies.. Oh well, EL does need a cricket franchise
Disagree, always good support in East London and it is a vital catchment area for young African cricketers. EL native, Boucher could captain the new franchise whilst Ntini and Tsotsobe could open the bowling.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
What freaking track are they playiong on? Ive never played at the ABSA Oval but I wish I had. 124 all out and still have a first innings lead! Sounds like heaven.
Seems to be a 'new' venue and isn't used as an out ground for provincial sides. Anyhow, your mate stepped it up in the second innings and saw the University side home to a comfortable victory.

Aronstam shows how it is done

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Not to **** on anyone’s parade but Titans coach, Richard Pybus is a bit of spin guru and if Aronstam was a rough diamond given he can bat, surely he would have featured more often? Considering the Titans love their spinners and have opened the bowling in recent times with Harris and van Jaarsveld. I haven’t seen Aronstam but Goughy knows the score and I’m sure he was top talent but maybe since that period, his regressed?

It was only five years ago when everyone from the Titans said Faf du Plessis is a better batsman than AB de Villiers and it would be Faf who played for South Africa not AB.
I don't see how he can lose out to someone like Blake Snijman. He certainly had a poor season last year but I don't think that's any reason to drop him entirely. He has a double hundred and 4 fifers to his name. He's talented and he deserves to be involved in the Titans set up.

Faf may be improving but he hasn't proven himself in the longer version of the game. That being said he looks like he has tremendous potential but to do well there but with Tahir and Harris in the side, the number of overs that he will bowl will be limited.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Seems to be a 'new' venue and isn't used as an out ground for provincial sides. Anyhow, your mate stepped it up in the second innings and saw the University side home to a comfortable victory.

Aronstam shows how it is done
Thats made my day. He is quality and a nice bloke as well.

I know I say it a lot and maybe its a year or 2 too old, but IMO he should be a real target for an English county (esp before Kolpak expires).

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I don't see how he can lose out to someone like Blake Snijman. He certainly had a poor season last year but I don't think that's any reason to drop him entirely. He has a double hundred and 4 fifers to his name, plus he's averaging over 40 in List A with a hundred. He's talented and he deserves to be involved in the Titans set up.

Faf may be improving but he hasn't proven himself in the longer version of the game. That being said he looks like he has tremendous potential but to do well there but with Tahir and Harris in the side, the number of overs that he will bowl will be limited.
Bit hard to prove when your frontline spinners are Harris and Tahir, Faf is always going to play second fiddle and an insignificant role but he could feature a lot for Lancashire, considering they only have Keedy as a spin option.

In regard to Snijman, I don’t see how he is rated. A lot of the SuperSport guys fall over themselves when he plays just because he pulls a bit like Ricky Ponting but he hasn’t got any weight of runs behind him. Pieter Malan should be opening for the Titans, that kid looks good.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, wonder how much the decision to release Marshall was influenced by Faf being here now. (Not that Marshall ever did anything seriously in 4day cricket but he'd been good in Twenty20 and OD cricket for a couple of years)