• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South African Domestic Season 2008/9

Marius

International Debutant
So, who do you guys think will get a look-in to the SA squad this season. I think Tsotsobe from the Warriors may get a debut (how fast does he bowl anyway?), and Andrew Puttick may also be next in the queue after JP Duminy to replace somebody in the Test side.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
So, who do you guys think will get a look-in to the SA squad this season. I think Tsotsobe from the Warriors may get a debut (how fast does he bowl anyway?)
135kph of so. Not incredibly quick but he swings the ball well.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Re: the Titans. Easterns is also one of the teams that contribute to the franchise, and they are the old Eastern Transvaal, which was basically the East Rand and what is now Mpumalanga. Willowmoore Park, their stadium is in Benoni (my hometown), which is also well inside Gauteng, and only about 35km from the Wanderers.

Don't get too many cricketers coming from the East Rand that I can think of. Off the top of my head: Andre Nel, the Morkel brothers, and Andrew Hall (although he is from Alberton, which although on the East Rand, falls under the Lions franchise I think).
Cool.. I'm going to Standerton next Sunday.. Hope there is some Supersport cricket going on in Jo'burg

Langeveldt

Soutie
So, who do you guys think will get a look-in to the SA squad this season. I think Tsotsobe from the Warriors may get a debut (how fast does he bowl anyway?), and Andrew Puttick may also be next in the queue after JP Duminy to replace somebody in the Test side.
Tsotobe, Puttick for sure.. Boucher should feel like his position is under threat to be honest.. Not sure how Heino Kuhn has been progressing of late though

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Tsotobe, Puttick for sure.. Boucher should feel like his position is under threat to be honest.. Not sure how Heino Kuhn has been progressing of late though
Keeping from all reports is come on nicely, still isn’t thought of as a ‘proper’ keeper but his batting is more than serviceable. I’ll doubt we will see him this year though for if Boucher does give way, AB will be his replacement. Kuhn isn’t thought of as a 'dynamic' enough one day cricketer so AB would take the gloves and that allows South Africa to bring in another batsman. Boucher was exposed during the England one day series for he was batting at least one place too high.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
So it's started.

Looks like it's a poor day with the bat so far. Most of people who I want to progress aren't doing too well.

In regard to pace, Rob Houwing bemoans the lack of genuine fast bowlers in this year’s SuperSport series...
http://www.sport24.co.za/Content/Col...actory_closing
That's been a problem for a while. Before Morne Morkel and Dale Steyn, there weren't many who bowled over 130.

Isn't Matthew Arnold quick?

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah none of the guys I’m backing have had a great start to the season. Vandiar out for a duck gone to Robbie P, Wayne Parnell has gone wicketless, Rossouw of the Eagles occupied the crease but didn’t push on and Hendricks and Elgar both failed. Although, Virus Petersen hit a century (the first of the SuperSport season) and I quite like him. Farhaan Behardien is currently keeping the Titans afloat and I saw a bit of him in the MTN comp last year and was very impressed with his hitting.

Other guys I’m supporting are David Miller of the Dolphins, Matthew Arnold of the Titans, Stiaan van Zyl who should be opening for the Cobras this year and Richard Levi also of the Cobras but his still playing provincial cricket for Western Province. :sleep:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
So it's started.

Looks like it's a poor day with the bat so far. Most of people who I want to progress aren't doing too well.

That's been a problem for a while. Before Morne Morkel and Dale Steyn, there weren't many who bowled over 130.

Isn't Matthew Arnold quick?
Yeah his 'quickish'. Bowled at around 140kph in the U19 World Cup.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
With HD gone, and Prince, Kallis or Boucher possibly playing, that Warriors side looks strong and a possible title contender. On it's day the batting lineup could be de Bruyn, A Jacobs, D Jacobs, Prince and Kallis, not to mention the fast bowlers and international spinning allrounders.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
End of day one scorecards…

Lions 240/9 (Virus 131, VB van Jaarsveld 51, Robbie P 2/12, Tsotsobe 2/26)
Eagles 217/7 (Human 81, Bailey 37, Philander 2/35, Zondeki 2/47, Langeveldt 2/50)
Titans 211 (Bodi 62, Martin van Jaarsveld 58, Behardien 47, Friend 3/33, Smit 2/27)

Neil McKenzie was scheduled to be playing for the Lions but he suffered a crack rib in the nets facing Andre Nel.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
Hearing decent things, at lease pace wise, about Lions youngster Craig Alexander. Believe he has genuine pace, anyone ?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Haha is he? Do you know where he is training? That would be so cool to train with one of my favourite cricketers next year..
Yeah he missed a game or two last year doing his test/exam. God knows where he did it though.