• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South African Domestic Season 2008/9

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Holy ****. That was truly awesome by Louw.
Cool, six needed of the last ball and he duly did it. I went to bed with the Dolphins nigh on finished. Louw can keep doing the business for Natal but please keep him away from the national side.

Pro20
Dolphins 120/7 (Louw 28, 2/38 Langeveldt) beat the Cobras 119/8 (Levi 46, Ontong 27, Abdulla 3/23, Friend 2/22) by 3 wickets

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
In one day cricket maybe but McLaren was never going to be the answer to Shaun Pollock. Ryan wants to play IPL so that could create some problems with Kent and if they don’t get promotion this season; they may which to mutually agree to terminate his contract as a cost cutting measure.
Well what i've seen of him, yes i'd agree ATS i don't see how he found fit into the test set-up. ODI's definately would give SA the typical superb all-round balance that they have had since readmission.

But maybe when Kallis stops bowling in a year or so thus depriving SA of the 5-bowler balance, if that latter scenario you suggested there occurs. He could play as an all-rounder in the Andrew Hall mould.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Well what i've seen of him, yes i'd agree ATS i don't see how he found fit into the test set-up. ODI's definately would give SA the typical superb all-round balance that they have had since readmission.

But maybe when Kallis stops bowling in a year or so thus depriving SA of the 5-bowler balance, if that latter scenario you suggested there occurs. He could play as an all-rounder in the Andrew Hall mould.
I think McLaren will end up a bits and pieces all-rounder who's not really excellent in batting or bowling. Wayne Parnell is the better prospect who can excel with his bowling, possibly becoming a great fast bowler who can hold a bat down the order (much like Pollock). With SA playing rotation, he can make a fine no. 8.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Tsotsobe is a star. Less than 48 hours ago he was bowling in Perth and now his back playing Pro20 in East London. Made a good start with the ball as well (1 wicket and 11 runs off 3 overs). Wayne Parnell is also back playing for the Warriors and gets a wicket in his first over. :)

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting to hear Kiwi, Danny Morrison on SuperSport. Interesting choice of commentator but I think his mum is from the Republic.

Good to see Imran Tahir play for the Titans at Newlands. Must-win game for the Titans, if they lose they are gone.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Cackdeki looks like he needs a good meal. Strange how he picked up a serious elbow injury which will require surgery when all he did was carry drinks in Australia.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Titans making Telemachus look like a world beater. Strange to see Roger reduced to gentle medium pace, in pomp he generated decent heat and bowled a real heavy ball.

Titans on their way out.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Pro20

Cobras 157/4 (Ontong 59*, Imran Tahir 2/28) beat the Titans 141/9 (Bodi 32, Telemachus 3/17) by 18 runs

Warriors 131/2 (Robbie P 72*, Louw 2/15) beat the Dolphins 127 (HD 49, Parnell 3/18) by 8 wickets

Telemachus had his day in the sun and the Titans are out. Great crowd once again at Newlands.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I think McLaren will end up a bits and pieces all-rounder who's not really excellent in batting or bowling. Wayne Parnell is the better prospect who can excel with his bowling, possibly becoming a great fast bowler who can hold a bat down the order (much like Pollock). With SA playing rotation, he can make a fine no. 8.
Nah i think Mclaren is above bits a piecs based on what i've seen of him. Parnell well although early days i haven't been that impressed with him in Australia.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Nah i think Mclaren is above bits a piecs based on what i've seen of him. Parnell well although early days i haven't been that impressed with him in Australia.
He was unlucky not a get a wicket in the 20/20 match and his ODI debut was good with him going for runs during the batting powerplay. His first 5 overs went for 15 odd. He's got good pace and he swings the ball so early days but it's promising.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Bit of team news for the Eagles and Thandi Tshabalala has been dropped for disciplinary reasons. South African U19 offie, Aubrey Swanepoel comes in for his franchise debut.
Swanepoel had a rather impressive debut, as he opened the bowling for the Eagles but his in a bit of trouble now; been 'reported' for having a dodgy action (been likened to that of Johan Botha). The Free State and the Eagles are unhappy for Swanepoel has represented South Africa U19's, played amateur cricket for sometime and been sent to a special spin training camp in India last year and no one has questioned his action until now.

The Eagles will find out today if they can keep playing Aubrey, as CSA decide what to do with him.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting to read Ray White’s (Former president of South African cricket) latest column, I was especially taken by this part…

"Young talent often fails to bloom, but it is some years since so many promising cricketers have arrived on the scene all at once. Wrist-spinners, once neglected, abound in the schools.
One does not wish to place the mockers on a 17-year-old boy, but I have been watching the progress of a lefthander up here in Johannesburg.

He is quite simply the most prolific and best schoolboy batsman I have seen since Kallis himself. For his school first XI alone he has scored 13 hundreds and his final year has only just begun.

If he does not go on to play for the Proteas something will have gone amiss.
"

Wonder who the kid could be?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Tsotsobe is a star. Less than 48 hours ago he was bowling in Perth and now his back playing Pro20 in East London. Made a good start with the ball as well (1 wicket and 11 runs off 3 overs). Wayne Parnell is also back playing for the Warriors and gets a wicket in his first over. :)
Yeah I've been so impressed with him, getting to East London so quickly isn't the easiest thing in the world, hero for mine..

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
From Supersport:

South African cricket fans should not worry about the Proteas’ bowling depth in the near future.

South African assistant coach Vincent Barnes said on Tuesday he is excited by the potential of rookies Wayne Parnell and Lonwabo Tsotsobe.

Experts were concerned by the bowling depth in England last year, with 31-year-old André Nel used as an additional paceman on that tour.

Parnell, 19, and Tsotsobe, 24, performed well in Perth in the fifth one-day international last Friday.

Barnes said it was the work both players put in on the training field and in the nets that made a big impression on him.

“Both players are prepared to listen and put in the hard yards. When Parnell joined up with us in Australia (for the one-day series) he came to me and said he would like to be a member of the one-day group for a long time and asked my advice on what he should work on,” said Barnes.

“It’s remarkable how quickly he slotted in as a 19-year-old. I believe he will play for the Proteas for many years to come.”

Barnes said Parnell should still work on his bowling action.

He was also full of praise for Tsotsobe. “He was with us from the beginning of the tour and worked really hard on his skills. It was fantastic to see the improvement in him in Perth,” said Barnes.

Tsotsobe took 4/50 on debut and it was obvious that the Aussies targeted him.

He bowled during the batting power play and one of the Aussies’ big guns, Michael Hussey, struck 12 runs off the first three balls of his over.

Tsotsobe then bowled him clean with a brilliant slower delivery.

“It was a wonderful moment. Lopsy can bowl three different slower balls, but that is the one he had struggle with most. It’s not just that he bowled it, but that he delivered it accurately enough to strike the wickets.”
I'm really excited by these two guys. It's a bonus that they're both from PE.

Lopsy seems to have gained a yard of pace in Australia. He was hitting mid 140s as an effort ball and then varying his pace throughout the match. Judging by his dismissal of Hussey, he looks like a smart bowler too.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Lions Cobras game now going on. Neil Mac is back for the Lions and is captaining the side whilst JP and Gibbs are straight back into the Cobras side.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Terrible shot from Puttick but Alexander is lively, the ball that smashed into Puttick's stump was over 145kph. JP and Gibbs both at the crease. :)

Edit - The Speedgun seems to be accurate, Nel not clocking more than 130kph. Decent pace from de Wet considering his just returned from a serious back injury, clocking in the 140's.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Awful knock from Gibbs but good bowling from the Lions especially Nel who tied down Gibbs.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
From Supersport:

I'm really excited by these two guys. It's a bonus that they're both from PE.

Lopsy seems to have gained a yard of pace in Australia. He was hitting mid 140s as an effort ball and then varying his pace throughout the match. Judging by his dismissal of Hussey, he looks like a smart bowler too.
Apparently Ntini took Tsotsobe under his wing for the entire tour, which can only have benefitted him.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Nice cameo from Richard Levi, the guy is a serious cricketer and hopefully he can really push on this year for the Cobras.

Lions need 155 to win. No surprises that their top scorer was one JP Duminy who scored a half-century.

The guy with the dreads (Bula) who is currently opening for the Lions must be the smallest cricketer I have ever seen. He can't be no more than 5'2.

Edit - Little man is a joke of a batsman.

Last edited: