Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Imran Tahir is white apparently

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    It's more to do with how many are in the squad, 7 out of 15 i think is the target, maybe 8. Something like that.
    Thanks for the education.

There are targets for the final XI and squad size.

A quick google shows, Joubert Strydom, explains. “The targets are four players of colour on the field and six in a squad of 14 players and seven in a squad of 15.”
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Thanks for the education.

There are targets for the final XI and squad size.

A quick google shows, Joubert Strydom, explains. “The targets are four players of colour on the field and six in a squad of 14 players and seven in a squad of 15.”
    Sure okay. I'd have thought my wording suggested that i wasn't in a position to teach people on the subject

So why was there only three coloured players in the team?
    Last edited by Uppercut; 06-10-2008 at 05:46 AM.

U19 Cricketer
    It's more to do with how many are in the squad, 7 out of 15 i think is the target, maybe 8. Something like that.

According to Shaun Pollock, the plan is that Kallis and Boucher will leave the team together, with AB taking up the gloves (without changing his batting position, i presume) so SA can retain a 5-man attack. The team would then become something like:

Smith
    McKenzie
    Amla
    (Kallis's replacement, probably Duminy)
    Prince
    De Villiers
    (Any bits-and-pieces all-rounder, i presume)
    Tahir
    Morkel
    Steyn
    Ntini
    I reckon Ntini's got maybe one more season in him, tops.

Should retire gracefully, and not like Allan Donald, being helped off the field after breaking down.

Quote Originally Posted by Marius View Post
    I reckon Ntini's got maybe one more season in him, tops.

Should retire gracefully, and not like Allan Donald, being helped off the field after breaking down.
    Yeah, agree.

Pinball Champion!
    Because they are targets and not set in stone, or so the powers that be would lead us to believe..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Blip.

Injuries and loss of form etc are reasons for a target to be partially waived for a particular game.

Gibbs being half the player he was and the complete lack of ability of the other non-white players in the squad made 4 impossible (unless Duminy was picked and who would you drop Kallis?)

SA will struggle to meet quotas whilst there is not a strong non-white bowling candidate. Ntini will be bowled into the ground to compensate. One or 2 names may factor in the future but are not ready right now.
    Last edited by Goughy; 06-10-2008 at 07:39 AM.

talking about SA keepers, whats up with Heino Kuhn heard some good stuff about him a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    talking about SA keepers, whats up with Heino Kuhn heard some good stuff about him a few years back.
    More of a batsman who can keep. There's plenty of those in SA.

I would agree with dropping Boucher for Duminy. I can't think of dropping Kallis. He still had a good season averaging over 50 despite having a poor latter half.

I'd rather play Tsotsobe instead of Ntini. He's young and a left armer and he's taking wickets. With Ntini slowing down now, they're about the same pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Blip.

Injuries and loss of form etc are reasons for a target to be partially waived for a particular game.

Gibbs being half the player he was and the complete lack of ability of the other non-white players in the squad made 4 impossible (unless Duminy was picked and who would you drop Kallis?)

SA will struggle to meet quotas whilst there is not a strong non-white bowling candidate. Ntini will be bowled into the ground to compensate. One or 2 names may factor in the future but are not ready right now.
    I see.

I suppose they'll end up playing someone who isn't test standard currently but could well grow to be. But typically batsmen have more to gain from playing at the higher level than bowlers, so i can't see much good in throwing someone like Zondeki into the mix when Ntini retires..

positive discrimination is still racism - and yet i see very few people up in arms about it

talk about turning a blind eye

Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    I played a lot of cricket with him and he was impressive with both bat and gloves.

One of those guys that is full of self-confidence and can try (and succeed at) anything (eg scoop shot over his shoulder when on one knee against the quicks).

A really talented and cocky (not in a bad way) player. To succeed he will need to keep those energy levels high whilst being a tad more circumspect.

Attitude wise he is full of bravado and a natural keeper in chirping and keeping things moving.

I dont know if he will make it.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beleg View Post
    positive discrimination is still racism - and yet i see very few people up in arms about it

talk about turning a blind eye
    Indeed..

to an extent, I understand giving quotas to these guys in the lower levels, but once it comes down to provincial, A level and national selections, merit and ONLY merit should be the criteria...

If you think certain sections have been deprived in the past, then sure, by all means, give them a bit of a reservation or quotas or affirmative action or whatever u want to call it, at the lower levels.. Help them out in getting better coaching facilities and stuff.. But dont end up making the selection of your national team based on color or caste or whatever, for God's sakes...
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information