Cricket Player Manager
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Imran Tahir is white apparently

Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy View Post
    To be fair I think people are just excited that South Africa could have a spinner who is a genuine match winner. Also, it is a fair effort on the part of Tahir to take five wickets (would have had six if not for a drop catch) in less than ten overs on a green wicket in overcast/cold conditions in Durban and to take so many wickets in the county championship when that to was played in conditions not conducive to spin bowling. I don’t think anyone is proclaiming him to be the second coming but the simple question is, his Tahir a better spinner than Paul Harris, yes or no?
    Yeah, no-brainer, obviously.

Saw him bowl against Notts in the CC game Sky carried & he's definitely got more about him than Harris. Not an absolutely massive turner of the ball, but great control and a googly that the Notts tail couldn't pick for love nor money.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Interesting how this thread has gone from "Imran Tahir is white apparently" to almost "Imran Tahir walks on water"

He is certainly a good addition to the South African talent pool but I dont think he is going to put them over the edge.
    It's not so much that he's incredible, it's just that this is a team that has won a good seven of their last eight test series while playing a jokespinner. And suddenly they have a very good one. The quality leap's pretty huge, in a team that was already very good to begin with.

Pinball Champion!
    Turns out the Dolphins turned him down ( ) and what the article doesn’t go onto to say was that Goolam Bodi of the Titans and formally of Natal cricket was the guy who recommended him to the Pretoria franchise, who then asked for a second opinion on Tahir and Mohammed Yousuf was the man who gave Imran a glowing reference and urged the franchise to sign him up. So fair play to both Bodi and Yousuf!
    Bodi was also the guy who forced out Kevin Pietersen.. So he owes us a quality cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

International Captain kingkallis's Avatar
    Can he bat as well? If yes then he surely will be very handy for the Proteas!
    CricZo XI - 3 Draft Winner

Scorecard Draft (2010) V Sehwag, D Amiss, D Bradman (c), C Cowdrey, P Umrigar, A Faulkner, R Marsh +, M Marshall, W Hall, M Hughes, B O'Reilly
    Alphabetical Draft (2011) S Watson, G Kirsten, D Bradman (c), K Sangakkara +, C Cowdrey, K Pietersen, A Flintoff, M Marshall, B O'Reilly, F Trueman, T Alderman
    The Eras Draft (2014) V Trumper, A Morris, N Harvey, J Kallis, S McCabe, F Woolley, Imran Khan (c), J Dujon +, J Briggs, D Steyn, J Snow

U19 Cricketer
    This would be a team that could play a bit I reckon:

Smith
    McKenzie
    Amla
    Kallis
    Prince
    De Villiers
    Boucher
    McLaren
    Tahir
    M Morkel
    Steyn

If you're counting Tahir as 'white' though, the team's only got two non-whites in it, which could be a problem.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    If ABdeV is going to bat down the order you might as well give him the gloves, drop Boucher and play another Cape Coloured batsman. Can't think of anyone right now mind.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

U19 Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    If ABdeV is going to bat down the order you might as well give him the gloves, drop Boucher and play another Cape Coloured batsman. Can't think of anyone right now mind.
    JP Duminy.

Alviro Petersen is also in good form so far this season, he just made a hundred in each innings for the Lions against the Warriors, and had a good A series against Sri Lanka A.

That's not a bad suggestion, but dropping Bouch would be a hard thing to do, he hasn't done much wrong since he was recalled in 2005.

Haha, good grief, how on Earth did I forget Duminy is a Cape Coloured? Been a fan of his for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Marius View Post
    JP Duminy.

Alviro Petersen is also in good form so far this season, he just made a hundred in each innings for the Lions against the Warriors, and had a good A series against Sri Lanka A.

That's not a bad suggestion, but dropping Bouch would be a hard thing to do, he hasn't done much wrong since he was recalled in 2005.
    Score runs?

I like Bouch, really do and I doubt any other South African would have supported captain Smith like he did at Birmingham but I definitely think in regard to the one day team he should be given the axe. He worked when South Africa had the likes of Kempie, Hall and Polly in the ODI set-up for the team batted extremely low but given that South Africa don’t have such depth anymore, the more recognised and proficient batsman in the top order the better.
    Last edited by TT Boy; 06-10-2008 at 05:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Haha, good grief, how on Earth did I forget Duminy is a Cape Coloured? Been a fan of his for years.
    Had a shocker against England in the one day series but hopefully that was a blip and not an indication he couldn’t stand the heat. Really talented batsman but he needs to score some runs against ‘big’ sides soon.

U19 Cricketer
    Scored runs?

I like Bouch, really do and I doubt any other South African would have supported captain Smith like he did at Birmingham but I definitely think in regard to the one day team he should be given the axe. He worked when South Africa had the likes of Kempie, Hall and Polly in the ODI set-up for the team batted extremely low but given that South Africa don’t have such depth anymore, the more recognised and proficient batsman in the top order the better.
    Yeah, you do have a point.

Do you think AB could be a Gilchristesque keeper, coming in at 7, but being good enough to bat anywhere in the Top 6, or will keeping full-time affect his batting?

That could be a power team, having Duminy or Petersen at 6, with AB coming in at 7.

Had a shocker against England in the one day series but hopefully that was a blip and not an indication he couldn’t stand the heat. Really talented batsman but he needs to score some runs against ‘big’ sides soon.
    First-Class rather than one-day cricket has always been his strength though. About the only time he ever scored ODI runs was in 2007/08. He's quite a bit younger than Owais Shah so there's currently little danger of him becoming SA's version of Shah, but his career so far has mirrored Shah's in a big way.

Quote Originally Posted by Marius View Post
    Yeah, you do have a point.

Do you think AB could be a Gilchristesque keeper, coming in at 7, but being good enough to bat anywhere in the Top 6, or will keeping full-time affect his batting?
    That could be a power team, having Duminy or Petersen at 6, with AB coming in at 7.
    He bats well with the tail, so seven could be an option especially as he wouldn't mind facing the second new ball as well. Don't think the gloves will affect his batting for he was once a full time keeper and got into the national side whilst keeping domestically.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    The days of SA playing 2 keepers in the XI must be drawing to the close.

People are right here, with quotas, the obvious choice is to get rid of Boucher.

If that doesnt happen then 1 of the seamers or McKenzie would be the most likely to make way.

Though, despite having 3 during the England tour, the target is 4 quota players, so with Tahir as white, that would start making things interesting.
    Last edited by Goughy; 06-10-2008 at 05:59 AM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    It's more to do with how many are in the squad, 7 out of 15 i think is the target, maybe 8. Something like that.

According to Shaun Pollock, the plan is that Kallis and Boucher will leave the team together, with AB taking up the gloves (without changing his batting position, i presume) so SA can retain a 5-man attack. The team would then become something like:

Smith
    McKenzie
    Amla
    (Kallis's replacement, probably Duminy)
    Prince
    De Villiers
    (Any bits-and-pieces all-rounder, i presume)
    Tahir
    Morkel
    Steyn
    Ntini

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information