Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Imran Tahir is white apparently

U19 Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    *Shrug*. On the whole Harris is from Zimbabwe, Tahir from Pakistan. If Harris has more right to play for SA it's not by a huge margin. Not by as big a margin as Tahir is the better cricketer.
    I'm not arguing with you over the "right" to play for SA, just that you can't say that Tahir is as South African as Harris. Its like saying Pietersen is as English as Strauss, even though Strauss grew up in England, and Pietersen went over when he was about 20.

That said, I hope the selectors show some mettle and give Tahir a call-up when he qualifies to play for SA next year.

Any chance we'll see any other Pakistanis trying their luck in qulifying for SA, England, etc. with the current dearth of international cricket for that country?

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Well in Imran's case it hasn't been due to Pakistan's lack of cricket but just that he was never good enough to play for them while he was available. Until pretty recently he was a decidely moderate bowler.

In the case of those who are or would be Pakistani first-teamers, you do have to hope not.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Marius View Post
    I'm not arguing with you over the "right" to play for SA, just that you can't say that Tahir is as South African as Harris. Its like saying Pietersen is as English as Strauss, even though Strauss grew up in England, and Pietersen went over when he was about 20.

That said, I hope the selectors show some mettle and give Tahir a call-up when he qualifies to play for SA next year.

Any chance we'll see any other Pakistanis trying their luck in qulifying for SA, England, etc. with the current dearth of international cricket for that country?
    Yeah, might cause some controversy initially but if Tahir performed- and i have every belief that he would- it'd soon be forgotten by all but the fans of the teams he skittles. Really i'd just love to see him get a good shot at test cricket, and for anyone from Pakistan at the moment that isn't overly likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Well in Imran's case it hasn't been due to Pakistan's lack of cricket but just that he was never good enough to play for them while he was available. Until pretty recently he was a decidely moderate bowler.

In the case of those who are or would be Pakistani first-teamers, you do have to hope not.
    Wouldn't even begin to think about picking Kaneria over him though tbh.

And Tahir is no less South African than Harris really, so there's not really an excuse to pick Harris, presuming Tahir wants to play for SA. With Tahir, SA are probably the best team in the world on a player-by-player basis.
    As a selector, you're mad if you refuse to pick someone available to you who'd improve the quality of your team just because he's an import.

Even though Imran is not South African, if he's available for SA, as the current rules say he soon will be, then he has to play, as there's almost no doubt these days he's a very fine bowler indeed.

Wouldn't even begin to think about picking Kaneria over him though tbh.
    Not these days maybe, but Kaneria was a very promising bowler for a long time, and as I say - until maybe a couple of years ago Imran was very moderate indeed. Did nothing much in his previous county stint(s?) UIMM. It's only since he's been playing in SA regularly that he's started to make the step up.

As a selector, you're mad if you refuse to pick someone available to you who'd improve the quality of your team just because he's an import.

Even though Imran is not South African, if he's available for SA, as the current rules say he soon will be, then he has to play, as there's almost no doubt these days he's a very fine bowler indeed.
    Indeedy. The next question is, with Tahir, would SA become the best cricket team in the world? They'd be the only without an obvious weak department...

Indeedy. The next question is, with Tahir, would SA become the best cricket team in the world? They'd be the only without an obvious weak department...
    I still think the fast bowling needs more improvement. If Parnell succeeds in the SSS, I hope the side would be the following:

Smith (c)
    McKenzie
    Amla
    Kallis
    Duminy
    Prince
    De Villiers (wk)
    Parnell
    M Morkel
    Tahir
    Steyn/Tsotsobe
    Last edited by popepouri; 03-10-2008 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by popepouri View Post
    I still think the fast bowling needs more improvement. Steyn and Morkel are not consistent enough to convince me especially with them bowling terribly in the latter part of the Eng tour.
    Be fair to Steyn, it's hard to bowl well in tests when you don't get picked due to injury.

Not these days maybe, but Kaneria was a very promising bowler for a long time, and as I say - until maybe a couple of years ago Imran was very moderate indeed. Did nothing much in his previous county stint(s?) UIMM. It's only since he's been playing in SA regularly that he's started to make the step up.
    I'd forgotten just how dreadful he was last time he played county cricket actually - in 3 games for Middlesex in 2003 and 1 for Yorkshire in 2007, he took a sum-total of 1 for 337!

And truth be told he barely played First-Class cricket most of his career at home - in 1996/97, 1997/98, 1998/99, 2001/02, 2002/03, 2003/04 and 2006/07 (that's 7 seasons) he never played more than 3 games. He played 6 each in 2000/01 and 2005/06 and played plenty in 1999/2000 and 2004/05 (not surprisingly these two were his best seasons - he took 117 wickets at under 22 in them). Presumably a mix of his often moderate performances and politics.

But since going to SA (ie, for Titans and for Hants), he's played 13 games and taken 75 wickets at 19.63. Impressive indeed, and I don't see any particular reason to think he won't continue that in 2008/09.

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by popepouri View Post
    I still think the fast bowling needs more improvement. Steyn and Morkel are not consistent enough to convince me especially with them bowling terribly in the latter part of the Eng tour.
    He is the 3rd best bowler in the world at the moment, and the second best pace bowler. According to this list.

Morkel comes in at number 44.

Tahir apparently qualifies for South Africa in April, so whilst he will miss the home tests against Australia he could/should be available for the one day series. Mickey Arthur has also just recently spoken about Tahir playing for the Proteas.

I'd forgotten just how dreadful he was last time he played county cricket actually - in 3 games for Middlesex in 2003 and 1 for Yorkshire in 2007, he took a sum-total of 1 for 337!

And truth be told he barely played First-Class cricket most of his career at home - in 1996/97, 1997/98, 1998/99, 2001/02, 2002/03, 2003/04 and 2006/07 (that's 7 seasons) he never played more than 3 games. He played 6 each in 2000/01 and 2005/06 and played plenty in 1999/2000 and 2004/05 (not surprisingly these two were his best seasons - he took 117 wickets at under 22 in them). Presumably a mix of his often moderate performances and politics.

But since going to SA (ie, for Titans and for Hants), he's played 13 games and taken 75 wickets at 19.63. Impressive indeed, and I don't see any particular reason to think he won't continue that in 2008/09.
    Yeah, shouldn't ever have been picked before, but he should be now. Would like it to be SA just because they'll play more than Pakistan. He's always been a journeyman, fair play to those who continued to recognise his talent and potential despite some aforementioned awful performances.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakester1288 View Post
    He is the 3rd best bowler in the world at the moment, and the second best pace bowler. According to this list.

Morkel comes in at number 44.
    Morkel hasn't had enough series to accumulate any points for those ratings.

Would probably have Clark and Lee before him as quicks go, but that's it.

Pace attack looks a bit iffy for Aus. Steyn, Morkel if 100% fit are fine but Ntini is on his last legs, Nel is rendered useless when his bowling 125kph, Zondeki was Cackdeki for Warwickshire, no pace, did nothing with the ball and the only other alternatives are medium pacers it would seem. So itís not looking that rosy.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information