Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: *Official* England\UK off-season 2008/09 \ build-up to 2009 season thread

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar

*Official* England\UK off-season 2008/09 \ build-up to 2009 season thread

Martyn called it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Maybe we can end it all here and start an offseason thread like the Aussies and Indians?
    The retirements have already started flowing in; the inter-county movements will start very soon.

Wonder how many counties will try to stagger the departure of their Kolpak-contracted players.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Wonder how many counties will try to stagger the departure of their Kolpak-contracted players.
    My guess will be zero.

All will try and get what they can before they are no longer available.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

International Vice-Captain Anna's Avatar
    Anyway the A-team (or "performance squad" as it's termed for some strange reason) was also announced along with the senior Test party:
    Jonathan Trott - should be playing ODIs, good to see he's still in some form of frame for something.
    Wooooo, go Trotty

Troughton's name is Jamie. How on Earth anyone can suggest there's anything wrong with calling him Jamie is beyond me.
    Except the fact that he goes by Jim... To avoid confusion, just call him Trouts (as most at Warwickshire do...or Jim, as anyone else does).

COME ON YOU BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"One day lad, all this will be yours"
    "What, the curtains?"

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna View Post
    WExcept the fact that he goes by Jim... To avoid confusion, just call him Trouts (as most at Warwickshire do...or Jim, as anyone else does).
    For the love of Bath, leave it.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Sorry, was just about to post it on t'other thread, but it was closed as I typed. That is the last time I will post on the matter

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Wonder if dav will get his wish and Watkinson out
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

So far we have formal announcements that 2008 will be their last season from:
    Graeme Hick, Darren Gough, Kevin Dean and Iain Sutcliffe. Mushtaq Ahmed and Jason Gillespie of the overseas-players as well. And I'd be surprised if we see Deon Kruis again either. Not sure whether it's the last we've seen of Grant Flower, Jason Gallian, Alex Tudor, David Hemp, Craig Spearman, Carl Greenidge, Dominic Cork, Lance Klusener, Matthew Nicholson or Rana Naved-ul-Hasan, but in each's case I hope it might be, for reasons varying from "never any good" to "his time has come" to "he's an ICL player who is very possibly doing his county more harm than good". But with Shaun Udal and Ian Salisbury being tempted out of retirement only to make their retired-from counties regret not trying such a thing themselves, don't count your chickens.

Confirmed overseas-players for 2009:
    Derbyshire: Chris Rogers
    Glamorgan: Herschelle Gibbs
    Hampshire: Imran Tahir
    Know for certain Yorkshire are currently still trying to get Morne Morkel, and presume Somerset are keeping Justin Langer as he hasn't announced his retirement; I guess Essex will be making every effort to re-sign Danish Kaneria, and likewise Lancashire Brad Hodge.

I also presume Middlesex, Warwickshire and Worcestershire will be looking for new ones. Likewise, Leicestershire and Northamptonshire simply don't have just 1 overseas-player so it barely matters who is officially registered as such.

What we do know is that UCCE-vs-county games will soon be no more. And a damn good thing that is too IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    My guess will be zero.

All will try and get what they can before they are no longer available.
    Yeah, that'd be the strategm (strategem?) I'd use TBH.

I wonder if the ECB will allow any new one-year Kolpak contracts to be signed for 2009? I'd hope not.

Graeme Hick, Darren Gough, Kevin Dean and Iain Sutcliffe. Mushtaq Ahmed and Jason Gillespie of the overseas-players as well. And I'd be surprised if we see Deon Kruis again either. Not sure whether it's the last we've seen of Grant Flower, Jason Gallian, Alex Tudor, David Hemp, Craig Spearman, Carl Greenidge, Dominic Cork, Lance Klusener, Matthew Nicholson or Rana Naved-ul-Hasan, but in each's case I hope it might be, for reasons varying from "never any good" to "his time has come" to "he's an ICL player who is very possibly doing his county more harm than good". But with Shaun Udal and Ian Salisbury being tempted out of retirement only to make their retired-from counties regret not trying such a thing themselves, don't count your chickens.

Know for certain Yorkshire are currently still trying to get Morne Morkel, and presume Somerset are keeping Justin Langer as he hasn't announced his retirement; I guess Essex will be making every effort to re-sign Danish Kaneria, and likewise Lancashire Brad Hodge.

I also presume Middlesex, Warwickshire and Worcestershire will be looking for new ones. Likewise, Leicestershire and Northamptonshire simply don't have just 1 overseas-player so it barely matters who is officially registered as such.

What we do know is that UCCE-vs-county games will soon be no more. And a damn good thing that is too IMO.
    I've heard mutterings that Warwickshire are also interested in Morne. I, for one, hope they are successful

I'm pretty sure Langer is playing for Somerset next season, but will miss the start because of the IPL.

Quote Originally Posted by Anna View Post
    I've heard mutterings that Warwickshire are also interested in Morne. I, for one, hope they are successful
    Can't say I'd begrudge it them. They have a tradition of South African seam-bowlers. Yorkshire, on the other hand, have a tradition of Australian batsmen. That in itself doesn't mean much, but these traditions have often grown up for a reason - such players have served such clubs well.

If Mark Cosgrove could sort-out his diet issues I for one would be very happy to see him at the club next season and beyond, and hope it happens. He's highly unlikely to be a Lehmann in run-scoring weight terms, but he's undoubtedly a good player and equally undoubtedly a "Lehmann-esque" character, so should fit-in well.

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar

I know Deon Kruis has been offered a new deal, and Grant Flower has signed on for another season at Essex.

I don't think Gibbs has been confirmed yet has he ?

Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
    I know Deon Kruis has been offered a new deal, and Grant Flower has signed on for another season at Essex.
    Oh no.

Honestly, what more does Grant Flower think he can achieve? This season would've been the perfect time to bow-out. You've got to be pretty exceptional to still do the goods at county level aged 39, and Grant, unlike his brother, was never exceptional, he was merely good.

As for Kruis, if he can remain fit I'd be happy for him to keep playing, but I'm very doubtful that he could. He's really struggled for 2 years now and isn't getting any younger and there's no magic-bullet in sight. I'd much prefer Yorkshire concentrate on getting the Pattersons and Shahzads in the side than always be hoping for fitness from someone who rarely gets it (and paying him a hefty salary to sit on the physio's bench).
    I don't think Gibbs has been confirmed yet has he ?
    Hasn't he? When Gillespie announced his retirement the (short) piece seemed to suggest Glamorgan already knew for certain Gibbs would be coming.
    Last edited by Richard; 29-09-2008 at 03:51 PM.

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Last I heard Maynard was saying they were very interested in Gibbs, and that talks were taking place. Don't think anything has been signed yet though.

Oh, right. Well I hope it is soon, as Gibbs would potentially make an excellent signing. Though knowing him he'd probably have a shocker of a season and it'd confirm his time had come for good.

But Rees-Gibbs is a partnership I like the idea of right now. It's not quite Elliott-James, but it's a start.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Alex Tudor
    Best bowler ever, officially.

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information