• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England\UK off-season 2008/09 \ build-up to 2009 season thread

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Martyn called it.
Maybe we can end it all here and start an offseason thread like the Aussies and Indians?
The retirements have already started flowing in; the inter-county movements will start very soon.

Wonder how many counties will try to stagger the departure of their Kolpak-contracted players.

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Anyway the A-team (or "performance squad" as it's termed for some strange reason) was also announced along with the senior Test party:
Jonathan Trott - should be playing ODIs, good to see he's still in some form of frame for something.
Wooooo, go Trotty :D

Troughton's name is Jamie. How on Earth anyone can suggest there's anything wrong with calling him Jamie is beyond me.
Except the fact that he goes by Jim... To avoid confusion, just call him Trouts (as most at Warwickshire do...or Jim, as anyone else does).

Anna

Sorry, was just about to post it on t'other thread, but it was closed as I typed. That is the last time I will post on the matter :D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So far we have formal announcements that 2008 will be their last season from:
Graeme Hick, Darren Gough, Kevin Dean and Iain Sutcliffe. Mushtaq Ahmed and Jason Gillespie of the overseas-players as well. And I'd be surprised if we see Deon Kruis again either. Not sure whether it's the last we've seen of Grant Flower, Jason Gallian, Alex Tudor, David Hemp, Craig Spearman, Carl Greenidge, Dominic Cork, Lance Klusener, Matthew Nicholson or Rana Naved-ul-Hasan, but in each's case I hope it might be, for reasons varying from "never any good" to "his time has come" to "he's an ICL player who is very possibly doing his county more harm than good". But with Shaun Udal and Ian Salisbury being tempted out of retirement only to make their retired-from counties regret not trying such a thing themselves, don't count your chickens.

Confirmed overseas-players for 2009:
Derbyshire: Chris Rogers
Glamorgan: Herschelle Gibbs
Hampshire: Imran Tahir
Know for certain Yorkshire are currently still trying to get Morne Morkel, and presume Somerset are keeping Justin Langer as he hasn't announced his retirement; I guess Essex will be making every effort to re-sign Danish Kaneria, and likewise Lancashire Brad Hodge.

I also presume Middlesex, Warwickshire and Worcestershire will be looking for new ones. Likewise, Leicestershire and Northamptonshire simply don't have just 1 overseas-player so it barely matters who is officially registered as such.

What we do know is that UCCE-vs-county games will soon be no more. And a damn good thing that is too IMO.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
My guess will be zero.

All will try and get what they can before they are no longer available.
Yeah, that'd be the strategm (strategem?) I'd use TBH.

I wonder if the ECB will allow any new one-year Kolpak contracts to be signed for 2009? I'd hope not.

Anna

Graeme Hick, Darren Gough, Kevin Dean and Iain Sutcliffe. Mushtaq Ahmed and Jason Gillespie of the overseas-players as well. And I'd be surprised if we see Deon Kruis again either. Not sure whether it's the last we've seen of Grant Flower, Jason Gallian, Alex Tudor, David Hemp, Craig Spearman, Carl Greenidge, Dominic Cork, Lance Klusener, Matthew Nicholson or Rana Naved-ul-Hasan, but in each's case I hope it might be, for reasons varying from "never any good" to "his time has come" to "he's an ICL player who is very possibly doing his county more harm than good". But with Shaun Udal and Ian Salisbury being tempted out of retirement only to make their retired-from counties regret not trying such a thing themselves, don't count your chickens.

Know for certain Yorkshire are currently still trying to get Morne Morkel, and presume Somerset are keeping Justin Langer as he hasn't announced his retirement; I guess Essex will be making every effort to re-sign Danish Kaneria, and likewise Lancashire Brad Hodge.

I also presume Middlesex, Warwickshire and Worcestershire will be looking for new ones. Likewise, Leicestershire and Northamptonshire simply don't have just 1 overseas-player so it barely matters who is officially registered as such.

What we do know is that UCCE-vs-county games will soon be no more. And a damn good thing that is too IMO.
I've heard mutterings that Warwickshire are also interested in Morne. I, for one, hope they are successful :D

I'm pretty sure Langer is playing for Somerset next season, but will miss the start because of the IPL.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've heard mutterings that Warwickshire are also interested in Morne. I, for one, hope they are successful :D
Can't say I'd begrudge it them. They have a tradition of South African seam-bowlers. Yorkshire, on the other hand, have a tradition of Australian batsmen. That in itself doesn't mean much, but these traditions have often grown up for a reason - such players have served such clubs well.

If Mark Cosgrove could sort-out his diet issues I for one would be very happy to see him at the club next season and beyond, and hope it happens. He's highly unlikely to be a Lehmann in run-scoring weight terms, but he's undoubtedly a good player and equally undoubtedly a "Lehmann-esque" character, so should fit-in well.

Woodster

International Captain

I know Deon Kruis has been offered a new deal, and Grant Flower has signed on for another season at Essex.

I don't think Gibbs has been confirmed yet has he ?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I know Deon Kruis has been offered a new deal, and Grant Flower has signed on for another season at Essex.
Oh no. :no:

Honestly, what more does Grant Flower think he can achieve? This season would've been the perfect time to bow-out. You've got to be pretty exceptional to still do the goods at county level aged 39, and Grant, unlike his brother, was never exceptional, he was merely good.

As for Kruis, if he can remain fit I'd be happy for him to keep playing, but I'm very doubtful that he could. He's really struggled for 2 years now and isn't getting any younger and there's no magic-bullet in sight. I'd much prefer Yorkshire concentrate on getting the Pattersons and Shahzads in the side than always be hoping for fitness from someone who rarely gets it (and paying him a hefty salary to sit on the physio's bench).
I don't think Gibbs has been confirmed yet has he ?
Hasn't he? When Gillespie announced his retirement the (short) piece seemed to suggest Glamorgan already knew for certain Gibbs would be coming.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
Last I heard Maynard was saying they were very interested in Gibbs, and that talks were taking place. Don't think anything has been signed yet though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh, right. Well I hope it is soon, as Gibbs would potentially make an excellent signing. Though knowing him he'd probably have a shocker of a season and it'd confirm his time had come for good.

But Rees-Gibbs is a partnership I like the idea of right now. It's not quite Elliott-James, but it's a start.

FBU

International Debutant

Why would we want Hodge after he messed us about. He played two CC matches, got 44 runs and decided he wanted to play in the IPL and we ended up with Vincent. :@

We should be going for Laxman or Mendis.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Garnett Kruger has thrown in the towel with Leicestershire despite having another year left on his contract. Kruger thinks his body can not withstand twelve months of cricket and the decision was to either chuck it in with the Lions/South Africa or England.