• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

No Old Trafford test this year

Sulphate

Cricket Spectator
Has there been a reason given by the ECB why there is no Old Trafford test this year?

It is certainly one of the best grounds in England, with a good pitch, one of the bigger capacaties, and a good history and tradition.

It seems to have scrapped for the Durham test which means there are now two tests in North-East England which is hardly the strongest area for cricket in England.

I've also been to Durham and it is a much inferior ground to Old Trafford which confuses as to why it has been picked in favour of OT. :(

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Part of the deal of allowing Durham into the county championship in the first place (and boy, did they deserve it) was that they had to develop a test match standard ground.

1996 was the last time Old Trafford missed out

Other test grounds - last time they staged no test in a year (ignoring 1970, of course)

Trent Bridge 1999
Edgbaston 1994
Headingley 1999
AMP Oval 1932
Lord's 1927

Allowing for the fact that The Oval and Lord's will ALWAYS stage one (and Lord's now tend to stage two when there are twin series), the only ground that Old Trafford would seriously have a case of replacing is Headingley geographically and Edgbaston on 'turns'.

Sorry, no case to answer regarding Durham.

Sulphate

Cricket Spectator
Ok, thanks for clarifying that for me. So does this mean that Old Trafford are certain to have a test next year then?

And if the Durham test match is a huge success then I presume the ECB will want to keep The chester-le-street test next year.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I went to Old Trafford to see the 'boks in 1998, the one where Gus Fraser blocked out AD's last over :!(

I have to admit, while it wasnt too bad, Chester Le Street has far more going for it, and the majority of Old Trafford was old and run down, and the facilities werent brilliant....

CLS is an outstanding ground, on the outside of town, in a lovely setting, although it doesnt have a big capacity, there is soo much going for it, i hope it is a regular fixture.....

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I had a day there last year, and was hoping to go up again this year, but instead have to settle for the First ODI in fortnight's time - The dawn of the new era of English ODI Cricket?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've never visited Chester-le-Street yet, but I hope to soon (can't make the test, bowling for my county this weekend).

I feel as though I know the ground so well already because of all the correspondence I've received from Durham CCC in the past regarding, oh, just about anything relating to cricket in the area. They are a really helpful bunch and have kept me in articles this summer.

On behalf of Cricket Web, I should like to wish everyone at Durham CCC and The Riverside Ground, Chester-le-Street all the very best for this week.

Oh, and well done Durham for making it two wins in a row - even if one of them was against Derbyshire.

Langeveldt

Soutie
luckyeddie said:
I've never visited Chester-le-Street yet, but I hope to soon (can't make the test, bowling for my county this weekend).

Go whenever you get the chance, i went there last year and can safely say its one of the nicest grounds ive been to..