• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Funny Interviews

V Reddy

International Debutant
It's already there in the commentary quotes thread but it deserves a seperate thread. You can't stop laughing :D . New members have to read it . It's a classic :lol: :lol:

Harsha Bhogle Interviewing Navjot Singh Siddhu on his life and times

HB : Sherry, let us start from the beginning. Tell us about your early life.

NS : I was born in patiala on 29th October in1969. My earliest memories are of my father telling me ''Son, never be a Xerox''. So I always believe in being original. I speak English like a native, a native Indian villager. My father was a lawyer by profession, who used to gobble his rivals like sausages with his smart phrases. I used to watch him at court cross-examine witnesses and learnt the fine art of commentary from him. All I do, is translate those phrases and proverbs from Hindi to English

HB : You made your debut in 1983 against the Windies, but made it big-time only four years later..

NS : My big break came in 1987 world cup, when I bamboozled and mesmerized all opposition, scoring four half-centuries in five innings.

HB : Just when you were all set for bigger things, you got involved in a police case.

NS : Yes, it was the most unfortunate incident of my life. Punjab police booked me and my close friend for culpable homicide. I was accused of killing one Gurmit Singh. I am telling you I was innocent, as innocent as a freshly laid egg.

HB : But you did beat up that guy...

NS : But then I am a Sikh, a born fighter, someone who will fight with a rattlesnake and give him the first two bites. Believe me, that guy was asking for it. How can you kill anyone who is hell-bent on committing suicide?

HB : Do you regret that incident?

NS : Oh, yes Harsha I do, If only on that fateful day I had been able to check my emotions, which flew like the fare in Indian Taxi - but ifs and buts were pots and pans, there would be no tinkers After that my cricket career went in downward spiral. I became like kumbhakarna - six months in the team, then for another six months resting behind bars. My fortunes were swinging like a rubber ball in a tidal wave. Earlier I was traveling on a German autobahn, but now I was on an Indian road. For about five years I was in and out of the Indian cricket team, and my performance became as erratic as electricity supply in most Indian cities

HB : After Sunny's retirement, you had several opening partners. Tell us about your experiences with them.

NS : Yes, there were several. There was Srikanth,completely unorthodox. The gap between his bat and pad used to be so much that I would have driven a car through it...and our fellow commentator Ravi,who was his exact opposite, very slow like Indian Three-wheeler which will suck a lot of diesel but cannot go beyond 30.

HB : What would you regard as the high point of your career ?

NS : When the Australians toured India with Shane Warne. Along with Sachin, I took Warne apart like a child tearing up the wrapping paper from his birthday present! I made mincemeat of the mighty Aussies and ate them with Tomato sauce. I was on rampage, just like an Indian elephant I trampled them like the elephant tramples the paddy fields.

HB : What is your opinion of current Indian team ?

NS : Indian team's performance is like current hindi movies, too many flops and too few hits. It is too dependent on Sachin, Dravid, Srinath and Harbajan. Indian team without these four is like CHICKEN BIRYANI without Chicken,Rice,Muttor, Biryani-Masala. It's an empty plate. you can not eat it nor throw it away.Our cricketers are very volatile like the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE). You never know how they perform on a given day. They are like bicycles in a cycle stand - one falls down and the complete row will be down !

HB : ... and skipper Saurav ?

NS : Saurav Ganguly is too open-minded. If you leave a soda! bottle open the gas will vanish! You have to close it times. As a captain he sets a bad example for his team by his poor fielding. He moves so slowly on the field like jack of jack n jill who goes to fetch pail of runs for the opposition

HB : Sherry, you have made a dramatic comeback as a commentator. But don't you feel embarrassed by the constant ridicule heaped on you for your flowery style of commentary?

NS : You can take the tiger out of the jungle, but u can't take the jungle out of the tiger. Why should I be embarrassed about it? In fact, at present there are only two super stars in Indian cricket - the two S's -Sachin & Sidhu. Let me tell you a secret. Star sports-ESPN need me, as they can no longer rely on the performances of Indian cricket team. After Sachin gets out, they need someone to keep the viewers entertained. That is why they are now bringing that Bakra-guy Cyrus to commentate. I am telling you Harsha, your job is in danger, not mine. Soon the focus will be less on the game, more on us. It is going to become Sidhu-Cyrus show. The world is all about mind and matter, I don't mind and you don't matter

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
<quack> Guy thinks he's a duck. Even brought an egg into his argument.

Right, you buggers. Coming soon - DD interviews Sidhu. We'll see who the funny man of cricket is.

Done it on purpose, haven't you? Goaded me into it!

esgallindeion

U19 12th Man
marc71178 said:
Probably yes, he's not so much witty as just downright wierd!
To that, I agree.

When I'm watching cricket, I prefer to know what's going on and not about some fat lady or a china egg. Its ok at times when the game is going a bit dull. But overshadowing wickets and boundaries by these flowery phrases is not something I like.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
marc71178 said:
Probably yes, he's not so much witty as just downright wierd!
haha, yeah, he's good at talking in cliches though - which gets annoying after a while.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I thought a Man of the Match interview with Darren Lehman quite a few years back was quite amusing. The rest of the team gave him two stupid words he had to use in his acceptance speech, and the look on his face as he got them both in was priceless.

Thankfully they weren't the same words he used when he was fined for racial abuse a few years later!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Buddhmaster said:
Surely that guy would get annoying after a couple of minutes?
He is ridiculous. I cant stand the guy.

Okay so he wants to be a stand up comedian. Great let him just be that at least we will choose between him and other comedians. I dont want to have to choose between cricket commentators and stand up comedians :-O

ESPN and Starplus seem to think that all cricket fans are idiots and cricket discussion with its own wit and humour (and there is plenty of it without Sidhu) is not going to be enough for them so they bring this joker.

What can you expect from them if they think that bringing Mandira Bedi's and getting something like a Shaz and Waz show :puke: is a substitute for a proper cricket discussion with the Boycotts, Chappells, Benauds.

Its like the Indian film industry, every year 90% of the films they make are cr** and they get away by saying this is what the public wants.

I dont know what came first. Sidhu and Mandira or a stupid cricket fan who dotes on them :sleep: