• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in Bangladesh

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
First time I've started a tour thread! Don't think there's one already...

7 October - Tour Game - TBC
9 October - 1st ODI - Mirpur
11 October - 2nd ODI - Mirpur
14 October - 3rd ODI - Chittagong
17-21 October - 1st Test - Chittagong
25-29 October - 2nd Test - Mirpur

NZ Squads

Test: Jamie How, Aaron Redmond, Ross Taylor, Daniel Flynn, Jesse Ryder, Jacob Oram, Brendon McCullum (wk), Gareth Hopkins (wk), Grant Elliott, Daniel Vettori (capt), Kyle Mills, Tim Southee, Iain O'Brien, Jeetan Patel, Chris Martin.

ODI: Jamie How, Brendon McCullum (wk), Scott Styris, Ross Taylor, Daniel Flynn, Jesse Ryder, Jacob Oram, Gareth Hopkins (wk), Grant Elliott, Daniel Vettori (capt), Kyle Mills, Tim Southee, Mark Gillespie, Jeetan Patel, Chris Martin.

The biggest talking point in these squads is probably Jesse Ryder in the Test squad. Interesting. Also it's goodbye to James Marshall and poor Peter Fulton.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Fulton's omission is a mystery - must be a personality thing
Not really, he was hopelessly out of form last season, and you can't really pick him on the back of one 100 in a warm up match against Queensland. He's better served on the A tour, where he'll get much more competitive cricket anyway, and where the selectors can get a better idea of where he's at.

No Franklin either, obviously still not fit yet.

Last edited:

bryce

International Regular
Typical selections those ones, interesting that they see Redmond as a Test player but not an ODI player... Personally I wouldn't see him as either

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Test: Jamie How, Aaron Redmond, Ross Taylor, Daniel Flynn, Jesse Ryder, Jacob Oram, Brendon McCullum (wk), Gareth Hopkins (wk), Grant Elliott, Daniel Vettori (capt), Kyle Mills, Tim Southee, Iain O'Brien, Jeetan Patel, Chris Martin.

ODI: Jamie How, Brendon McCullum (wk), Scott Styris, Ross Taylor, Daniel Flynn, Jesse Ryder, Jacob Oram, Gareth Hopkins (wk), Grant Elliott, Daniel Vettori (capt), Kyle Mills, Tim Southee, Mark Gillespie, Jeetan Patel, Chris Martin.
Looks like they're keeping the faith with Redmond, something I'm actually pleased about. Not happy to see Hopkins there in both squads, though. I suspect Patel and Vettori will both play, since the tracks should be turners.

Hope Flynn gets some runs as well, like the look of him. Still dumbfounded by Gillespie being in the ODI squad and not the test squad, considering he's better at the latter than the former.

_Ed_

Yeah it is good to see Redmond given a chance. 3 Tests is not enough to prove whether a player is good enough to succeed at this level, and it's good to see the selectors finally acknowledge that.

He'll probably be in trouble if he doesn't get runs against Bangladesh though.

Burgey

Yeah it is good to see Redmond given a chance. 3 Tests is not enough to prove whether a player is good enough to succeed at this level, and it's good to see the selectors finally acknowledge that.

He'll probably be in trouble if he doesn't get runs against Bangladesh though.
Agreed, although for some on these forums, 3 or 4 tests is enough to prove some players incapable of performing on the subcontinent :ph34r:

bryce

International Regular
Sometimes 3 or 4 Tests is too much and they shouldn't have been there in the first place ha

bryce

International Regular
No clear answer i guess and I suppose Redmond still could prove me wrong and score runs for NZ. Would have went with Cumming or McIntosh for the England tour. Easy for me to say that now though, they did really have to show faith in their selections for the England tour and pick him again

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Because a) he has no form, thank you selectors for killing him by playing him at no.6 in ODIs

b) He told the selectors to stop shuffling him around the batting line up.

Bangladesh is the perfect chance for Fulton to find some form surely, because as we have Australia next up if we want him we need to pick him now. He's better than Hopkins, Flynn, and Elliott in tests and ODIs.

Fairly solid teams though. I commend the selectors for persistence with Redmond and dumping James Marshall.

bryce

International Regular
I think if they reckon Redmond is good enough for Tests then they should have him in the ODI squad, it's not like he's a slow scorer or anything he's even more suited to one-dayers imo

NZTailender

We don't need him in the one day squad, though. And he's definitely more of a test player, for mine.

bryce

International Regular
Your right we don't exactly need him but having him in the Test side and not the ODI squad may mean he neglects his one-day game somewhat, whereas if he was in the ODI squad he could work on it with the NZ coaching staff. Maybe even working on his one-day bowling. Plus this and this are only from last years State Shield

Last edited:

NZTailender

But there's not really anyone in the ODI squad he could replace. It'd be unfair to have him in the ODI squad purely to improve his skills, when people who are in the squad generally will play or are on the fringes. Redmond would be quite a way down the ODI pecking order, considering we have How and McCullum, plus Ryder, at the top of the order, and guys like Guptill waiting in the wings.

I'm not sure how being in a ODI squad would make a difference either. I'm pretty sure they all train the same. Maybe he'd be learning to do mroe attacking strokeplay, but considering his ODD average is about 10 lower than his FC, I'd rather he concentrate on his stronger form so he can be a successful NZ opener.

Flem274*

123/5
Test: Jamie How, Aaron Redmond, Ross Taylor, Daniel Flynn, Jesse Ryder, Jacob Oram, Brendon McCullum (wk), Gareth Hopkins (wk), Grant Elliott, Daniel Vettori (capt), Kyle Mills, Tim Southee, Iain O'Brien, Jeetan Patel, Chris Martin.QUOTE]

What worries me about that squad is that there is no FC number three in there. The paper speculated Taylor would play at three, but I doubt the selectors would push him up there. Ryder, McCullum and Flynn would be my bets, and I don't want any of them at three really. They (the selectors) have been pushed into this position somewhat by Marshall being rubbish, Fleming retiring, Sinclair being rubbish, Fultons form gone etc. The only other test option I can think of is for number three is Todd, who hasn't played any cricket for a few months and isn't hammering down the door either. Broom maybe but he's 4/5 material imo.

Personally would have shown faith in Fulton as he's the only sane option, but seeing as he's been neglected I'll show faith in Flynn, who hasn't convinced me but hell, he's probably the best option sadly, as Taylor would get owned and Ryder iirc has no form coming into this match.

The irony is Aaron Redmond was a number three two seasons ago, but he's now our opener. Makes you want to cry doesn't it?

Anyway, my shaky looking test side:

How
Redmond
Flynn
Ryder
Taylor
McCullum
Oram
Vettori
Mills
O'Brien
Martin

Bowling>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>batting for that team.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
It will good opportunity for all the New Zealand players to get some runs & wickets for theem against Bangladesh.

Redmond must be lucky for finding the place after a poor series in England. Feel bad for Fulton! After scoring lot of runs against Australia, its been poor form after that.. Would have beeen good opportunity for him to get back to International form.. Unfortuntely, it has not been.

Martin against Bangladeshi batsman would be the bowler for the tour IMO

Woodster

International Captain
In theory it should be a confidence building series for NZ, and I am surprised they haven't gone with Fulton at 3, rather than any of the current squad. An ideal opportunity to find some form ahead of an Australian series.

That said, it gives Flynn an opportunity to build on some promise he showed over here in England. I would hope they make Ryder fight hard and be patient for his Test place considering his recent misdemeanours.