cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: will Australia pick a full strength team to play Bangladesh?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar

will Australia pick a full strength team to play Bangladesh?

Im interested to know wheather you think we will take this chance to rest guys like Waugh, Gilchrist, McGrath and Hayden and let some guys like Maher, Clarke make their test debuts and get some experience and also to see how Brett Lee goes as the number 1 striker bowler.
    Personally i think Waugh and McGrath should rest, see how Ponting handles the test captaincy and not get McGrath worn out as i sense he is struggling a bit.

International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!
    Oh, I hope not!!! If Australia has a full strength team, it will be absolute MURDER .

On a serious note, the Australian's looked tired and ragged, and really the enthusiasm wasnt there in the last couple of games. And who can blame them?

I would love to see guys like Clarke, Stuart Clark, Nathan Hauritz, Nathan Bracken, Ashley Noffke, Marcus North, Brad Haddin/Ryan Campbell, Lee Carseldine and other youngsters get the feel of the Aussie Cap.

It can only be good for Australian Cricket to try out some youth at this stage.
    Self Elected Vice-President of AAAS
    (Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society)

"Uniting Ajit Agarkar Fans World Wide"

Always Live Life With: Intensity, Integrity and Intelligence

State Vice-Captain The Argonaut's Avatar
    Don't you think that picking a second string side cheapens the baggy green. Do you think that Clarke or Maher or whoever else will appreciate it as much if the cap is handed to them on a plate. I don't care how ordinary the Bangladesh side is. They deserve to play the best Australia has. It would be patronising them to do otherwise. Sure it will be a flogging but they need to watch the good players to get better.

Steve Waugh will play if only because it will be the first time the teams have played other. Any Aussie player with even a hint of an injury won't play but the rest will. Don't expect Martyn to be rushed back. Gillespie may not be risked either.

Hit them hard and boost the averages. That's what everyone else has done.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Exactly. Playing a second-string side is ridiculous and does demean the honour of playing for your country by quite a bit. It also patronises the Bangladeshi's. Plus, what if you were Mike Clarke and you scored a double ton against them then had to make way for Damien Martyne coming back. How would you feel?

It would be a backward step for many, many reasons. Guys like Clarke will get their chance just like all the rest did.

All Time Legend Paid The Umpire's Avatar
    No way of seeing a second string side play here!

ive been saying that to my mates that the selectors just dont give away baggygreens that easily.
    But as argonaut said, anyone with even a little injury wont be risked.
    I hope we can beat them in 2 consecutive 2 days tests.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    2 days, I was hoping you'd bat for 2 days in order to break the World record for highest score!

Finally show the ICC what a big mistake they'd made.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

International Vice-Captain Slats4ever's Avatar
    maybe they should make a new cap
    like a black and green cap
    WCC - Manager of Warwickshire

Originally posted by marc71178
    2 days, I was hoping you'd bat for 2 days in order to break the World record for highest score!
    maybe we will do that in the 2nd test.
    but in the first test im sure the aim will be to win inside 2 days and get 3 days of extra time to play golf.
    although i doubt the courses in darwin would be up to the aussies standards

Cricket Web Staff Member luckyeddie's Avatar
    Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    I think that it's highly likely that Australia will look to blood 4 or 5 new players in the series.

Go on - give di Venuto a game. Go on, go on, go on. Derbyshire don't need him.

We're crap with him, we'll be crap without him.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Rik
    Originally posted by broncoman
    maybe we will do that in the 2nd test.
    but in the first test im sure the aim will be to win inside 2 days and get 3 days of extra time to play golf.
    although i doubt the courses in darwin would be up to the aussies standards
    Do a "Sri Lanka"? Ie play your best team in the 1st test then let everyone else have a go in the 2nd and actually get a larger winning margin the 2nd time?
    "Age is just a stupid number"

20...that's a rather big number :(:(:(

International Captain
    Originally posted by broncoman
    I hope we can beat them in 2 consecutive 2 days tests.
    I've been watching the Aus vs WI series and alot of the commentators feel that the series could see any number of records broken.

- 1000 runs in a inngs?

- Highest indivaual score?

- 1 Day Test Match - Bangladesh bat all out in say 25 - 30 overs, Australia send Gilly and hayden to knock them about for about 30 overs, dec and bowl the Bangladesh side out again in the remaining 30 or so overs. (a long shot, but you never know, I blieve SA bowled them out a couple of times around the 30 - 40 overs)

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    That right there is the reason why they should not be playing FC cricket let alone Test cricket....the records will be meaningless. If Ponting smashes 502 not out, I will not be surprised and, although it will be listed as an ICC approved record, I could never consider it so in my mind. Until someone breaks Lara's record against a true "Test team", he will always be the recordholder in my mind.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

The...er...Twitter[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    England in 1994 were hardly one of the all-time great Test sides, and neither were Durham!

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Originally posted by marc71178
    England in 1994 were hardly one of the all-time great Test sides, and neither were Durham!
    Relevance? Surely England were a better team than Bangladesh...
    Also, when I referred to Ponting 502* not out I was not talking about 501* per say. I'm really referring to Test cricket and I'm trying to say that whatever ridiculous score he will no doubtedly get, will not really count in my mind.

It's the same with Sarwan's hundreds. IMO, his maiden International hundred was against Bangladesh. That said, you play you have to and you deal with what you receive....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information