• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

will Australia pick a full strength team to play Bangladesh?

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Im interested to know wheather you think we will take this chance to rest guys like Waugh, Gilchrist, McGrath and Hayden and let some guys like Maher, Clarke make their test debuts and get some experience and also to see how Brett Lee goes as the number 1 striker bowler.
Personally i think Waugh and McGrath should rest, see how Ponting handles the test captaincy and not get McGrath worn out as i sense he is struggling a bit.

masterblaster

International Captain
Oh, I hope not!!! If Australia has a full strength team, it will be absolute MURDER .

On a serious note, the Australian's looked tired and ragged, and really the enthusiasm wasnt there in the last couple of games. And who can blame them?

I would love to see guys like Clarke, Stuart Clark, Nathan Hauritz, Nathan Bracken, Ashley Noffke, Marcus North, Brad Haddin/Ryan Campbell, Lee Carseldine and other youngsters get the feel of the Aussie Cap.

It can only be good for Australian Cricket to try out some youth at this stage.

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
Don't you think that picking a second string side cheapens the baggy green. Do you think that Clarke or Maher or whoever else will appreciate it as much if the cap is handed to them on a plate. I don't care how ordinary the Bangladesh side is. They deserve to play the best Australia has. It would be patronising them to do otherwise. Sure it will be a flogging but they need to watch the good players to get better.

Steve Waugh will play if only because it will be the first time the teams have played other. Any Aussie player with even a hint of an injury won't play but the rest will. Don't expect Martyn to be rushed back. Gillespie may not be risked either.

Hit them hard and boost the averages. That's what everyone else has done.

Top_Cat

Exactly. Playing a second-string side is ridiculous and does demean the honour of playing for your country by quite a bit. It also patronises the Bangladeshi's. Plus, what if you were Mike Clarke and you scored a double ton against them then had to make way for Damien Martyne coming back. How would you feel?

It would be a backward step for many, many reasons. Guys like Clarke will get their chance just like all the rest did.

Simon

ive been saying that to my mates that the selectors just dont give away baggygreens that easily.
But as argonaut said, anyone with even a little injury wont be risked.
I hope we can beat them in 2 consecutive 2 days tests.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
2 days, I was hoping you'd bat for 2 days in order to break the World record for highest score!

Finally show the ICC what a big mistake they'd made.

Simon

marc71178 said:
2 days, I was hoping you'd bat for 2 days in order to break the World record for highest score!
maybe we will do that in the 2nd test.
but in the first test im sure the aim will be to win inside 2 days and get 3 days of extra time to play golf.
although i doubt the courses in darwin would be up to the aussies standards

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think that it's highly likely that Australia will look to blood 4 or 5 new players in the series.

Go on - give di Venuto a game. Go on, go on, go on. Derbyshire don't need him.

We're crap with him, we'll be crap without him.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
broncoman said:
maybe we will do that in the 2nd test.
but in the first test im sure the aim will be to win inside 2 days and get 3 days of extra time to play golf.
although i doubt the courses in darwin would be up to the aussies standards
Do a "Sri Lanka"? Ie play your best team in the 1st test then let everyone else have a go in the 2nd and actually get a larger winning margin the 2nd time?

Rich2001

International Captain
broncoman said:
I hope we can beat them in 2 consecutive 2 days tests.
I've been watching the Aus vs WI series and alot of the commentators feel that the series could see any number of records broken.

- 1000 runs in a inngs?

- Highest indivaual score?

- 1 Day Test Match - Bangladesh bat all out in say 25 - 30 overs, Australia send Gilly and hayden to knock them about for about 30 overs, dec and bowl the Bangladesh side out again in the remaining 30 or so overs. (a long shot, but you never know, I blieve SA bowled them out a couple of times around the 30 - 40 overs)

Mr Mxyzptlk

That right there is the reason why they should not be playing FC cricket let alone Test cricket....the records will be meaningless. If Ponting smashes 502 not out, I will not be surprised and, although it will be listed as an ICC approved record, I could never consider it so in my mind. Until someone breaks Lara's record against a true "Test team", he will always be the recordholder in my mind.

Mr Mxyzptlk

marc71178 said:
England in 1994 were hardly one of the all-time great Test sides, and neither were Durham!
Relevance? Surely England were a better team than Bangladesh...
Also, when I referred to Ponting 502* not out I was not talking about 501* per say. I'm really referring to Test cricket and I'm trying to say that whatever ridiculous score he will no doubtedly get, will not really count in my mind.

It's the same with Sarwan's hundreds. IMO, his maiden International hundred was against Bangladesh. That said, you play you have to and you deal with what you receive....

Langeveldt

Soutie
I want a full strength team, i want carnage and records broken :cool2: :cool2: And this Aussie team can deliver, i hope the players are fighting for postitions to improve their averages.....

Nobody outside SA raves about Jacques Rudolph and Boeta Dippenaar, and look what they managed to do against Bangladesh... Look what guys like Vaas did in the WC.... The possibilities are endless...

Simon

chris.hinton said:
I would play this:-

Hayden
Maher
Ponting
Clarke
S Waugh
Gilchrist
North
Hogg
Lee
Bracken
McGrath
im interested in some of your selections.
Maher in for Langer??? why rest Langer, he is in good form and is fresher than most as he is not playing 1 dayers.
Gilchrist at 6 for Lehmann, i dont think so in Darwin. Marcus North in there at all. please. He is no where near in line for a test spot. there are 7 or 8 batsmen in front of him at this stage. and hes a top order player for that matter, so why bat him at 8.
Honestly i cant see Australia varying too much from the side that beat england here last summer.

Andre

International Regular
First things first - Australia don't and never will give away baggy green caps, so it will be full strength. It's an insult to the nation and Bangladesh if it is not.

I alswo think one positive will come from this series - Australia will take the Bangladeshis under their wing and teach them some new things.

This is on thing Australian teams do - for example, they did it with Kenya in the tri-series last year.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Andre said:
First things first - Australia don't and never will give away baggy green caps, so it will be full strength. It's an insult to the nation and Bangladesh if it is not.

I alswo think one positive will come from this series - Australia will take the Bangladeshis under their wing and teach them some new things.

This is on thing Australian teams do - for example, they did it with Kenya in the tri-series last year.
I agree, so it may be a strong 11 but Clarke should get his chance