• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Stanford Super Series

Precambrian

Banned
Can't believe the hype surrounding an invitational match, where one side is hopelessly at the mercy of the billionaire's whims and fancies. What precedent does this set for international cricket except it's become an excuse for money-flaunting. It serves nothing to popularise or globalise the game, and actually much worse than IPL.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've said it before now, but for someone whose intentions are undoubtedly good, Allen Stanford sure has a strange idea of what'd be most helpful.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Can't believe the hype surrounding an invitational match, where one side is hopelessly at the mercy of the billionaire's whims and fancies. What precedent does this set for international cricket except it's become an excuse for money-flaunting. It serves nothing to popularise or globalise the game, and actually much worse than IPL.
Fantastic post, totally agreed

pup11

International Coach
Very well said mate, i mean seriously if Stanford is a shrewd business man why would he waste his money on a worthless tournament like this obviously he has too much money about all that, but still where is the profit in a tournament like this.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I dont mind it too much but I can see where those that dont like it are coming from.

Its an exhibition game so its not a big deal, though Im sure people dont like England cricket being pimped out like Harlem Globetrotters for exhibition games.

I would prefer this to be a T20I for Eng vs WI. It has less value as it isnt. But it is still a profile raiser and and payday and if viewed as a PR spectacle then the ECB cant lose.

It isnt a serious athletic or sporting competition though

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I dont mind it too much but I can see where those that dont like it are coming from.

Its an exhibition game so its not a big deal, though Im sure people dont like England cricket being pimped out like Harlem Globetrotters for exhibition games.

I would prefer this to be a T20I for Eng vs WI. It has less value as it isnt. But it is still a profile raiser and and payday and if viewed as a PR spectacle then the ECB cant lose.

AWTA

pup11

International Coach

Yeah that would be a lot more sensible thing to do, but my point is England v West Indies (which is what this whole mickey mouse tournament is basically all about) is hardly an eye-catching contest, is it, so what is making Stanford shell this kind of money on such a worthless tournament, or is it simply a case of him having way too much money too handle, and not knowing what really to do with it.:ph34r:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's either that or, as I say, he is honestly trying to help but going about it in completely the wrong way - exactly the same as he did with that regional Twenty20 competition he was\is holding yearly.

pup11

International Coach
It's either that or, as I say, he is honestly trying to help but going about it in completely the wrong way - exactly the same as he did with that regional Twenty20 competition he was\is holding yearly.
If he really wants to help then he should start some cricket academy or something on those lines throughout the Caribbean, but by holding such worthless tournaments he is just making a bunch of players rich, nothing more nothing less.

From where i look at this Stanford doesn't seem to know a **** about the game, neither does he seem to care much about it, i guess all he seems to want is some attention and publicity, which was somewhat evident from him making a larger than life entry at Lord's in a chopper.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, can't he do like a reality TV show with an academy and a spot in one of the Stanford sides or something like that? Seriously, if he wants to do something for the future he should be putting money into youth. He can still do it in a really cheesy horrible publicity-filled way if he wants. 'Strictly come cricket'.