• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Stanford Super Series

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ha, amazing that you'd say that as I was going to type that, honestly!
Haha, it always comes to mind when i think of pre-test-series excitement, because that was the series i looked forward to more than any other ever. Then he went and performed the stereotypical anti-climax for me.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I was pumped up on caffeine, was so excited, remember posting on CW up until the KO (had computer in a different room then) and, bang, there go the Ashes

It's funny all I really remember about CW during the Ashes is dav constantly predicting what scores we would get out for correctly, and andyc telling me that if he could be arsed he'd find all my 5-0 prediction posts :laugh:

Uppercut

I was pumped up on caffeine, was so excited, remember posting on CW up until the KO (had computer in a different room then) and, bang, there go the Ashes

It's funny all I really remember about CW during the Ashes is dav constantly predicting what scores we would get out for correctly, and andyc telling me that if he could be arsed he'd find all my 5-0 prediction posts :laugh:
Yeah, sometimes i blank out painful things too.

I loved digging up David Lloyd's predictions. I finally had hard proof that the man is an idiot.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Oh I haven't blanked the cricket out, just the posting :( Wish I could.

My main memories are getting out of bed two mornings. The first one was the end of day one, got up for work at 5, would normally get up at 6 but this way I got to watch pretty much a session before work, thought we might have them 6 or 7 down, **** me I nearly cried when I saw the scorecard.

The second was getting up on day 5 of Adelaide. Don't think I got up particularly early as I assumed the game would be petering out. Saw that the Aussies were batting, I was still waking up, I was like "has Flintoff declared here, what's going on?" Took me a while to realise that we had ****ed up.

Uppercut

Oh I haven't blanked the cricket out, just the posting :( Wish I could.

My main memories are getting out of bed two mornings. The first one was the end of day one, got up for work at 5, would normally get up at 6 but this way I got to watch pretty much a session before work, thought we might have them 6 or 7 down, **** me I nearly cried when I saw the scorecard.

The second was getting up on day 5 of Adelaide. Don't think I got up particularly early as I assumed the game would be petering out. Saw that the Aussies were batting, I was still waking up, I was like "has Flintoff declared here, what's going on?" Took me a while to realise that we had ****ed up.
My memories of the whole thing are really fuzzy, as they are of most late-night cricket i watch (and i am a fan of late-night cricket). Also nothing good ever seemed to happen while i was awake, most infuriatingly the time i fell asleep moments before Adam Gilchrist arrived at the crease for THAT century. It's a nice series for me to look back on, but at the time i didn't get much enjoyment out of it.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Think I saw pretty much all of Gilchrist's innings. Could be wrong, but think it was a weekend and a not too unreasonable hour here. Was probably up with the little 'un, the missus was heavily pregnant with twins at the time so we left her to it, my eldest was like 3 then, will never forgive her for supporting the Aussies during the series. She said she wanted them to win because "he's got a 3 on his shirt and I'm 3. I want them to win" :@

Uppercut

Think I saw pretty much all of Gilchrist's innings. Could be wrong, but think it was a weekend and a not too unreasonable hour here. Was probably up with the little 'un, the missus was heavily pregnant with twins at the time so we left her to it, my eldest was like 3 then, will never forgive her for supporting the Aussies during the series. She said she wanted them to win because "he's got a 3 on his shirt and I'm 3. I want them to win" :@
:laugh: That's too cute.

I'm sure the reason i support Manyoo is something similar which I've long since forgotten though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, I had that with some rugby player in the 1991 WC - I forget who it was. Though Rory Underwood became my favourite not long after, mainly because he never seemed to stop scoring tries. Might possibly have been Jonathan Webb.

As for the late-night stuff, agree with it being hazy - the one and only time I've been kept enthralled enough for my memories to be clear-as-day during a night of cricket-watching was in March 2002, on day-four of an extraordinary Test between England and New Zealand, best remembered for Nathan Astle going berserk (and that was by no means the sole attraction of the day's play either).

As for Harmison in 2006/07 - wouldn't have been such an anticlimax if he'd had Langer caught at slip the next ball would it? The impact of that delivery is overrated - it only seems symbolic because what followed was often so similar.

And finally, yeah, I prefer to have something to follow ATT TBH, but whenever there isn't it reminds me how great it is to have the appetite whetted. A bit like the ch00ns you hardly ever listen to but remember how good they are on the rare-ish occasions you do.

Uppercut

Haha, I had that with some rugby player in the 1991 WC - I forget who it was. Though Rory Underwood became my favourite not long after, mainly because he never seemed to stop scoring tries. Might possibly have been Jonathan Webb.

As for the late-night stuff, agree with it being hazy - the one and only time I've been kept enthralled enough for my memories to be clear-as-day during a night of cricket-watching was in March 2002, on day-four of an extraordinary Test between England and New Zealand, best remembered for Nathan Astle going berserk (and that was by no means the sole attraction of the day's play either).

As for Harmison in 2006/07 - wouldn't have been such an anticlimax if he'd had Langer caught at slip the next ball would it? The impact of that delivery is overrated - it only seems symbolic because what followed was often so similar.
Yeah, noone's saying seriously it cost England the Ashes, or even that it had any real impact on the series. It was just a symbolic moment, as though the gods were mocking my prolonged anticipation. And i love symbolic moments, they may be the main reason i watch cricket.

bryce

International Regular
Would be alright if they left out Chanderpaul & Sarwan as they both are not very good 20/20 batsman imo, i'd like to see a XI something like

1.Gayle
2.Fletcher
3.Marshall
4.Joseph
5.Bravo
6.Pollard
7.Cush
8.Emrit
9.Mohammad
10.Powell
11.Taylor

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
Would be alright if they left out Chanderpaul & Sarwan as they both are not very good 20/20 batsman imo, i'd like to see a XI something like

1.Gayle
2.Fletcher
3.Marshall
4.Joseph
5.Bravo
6.Pollard
7.Cush
8.Emrit
9.Mohammad
10.Powell
11.Taylor
I think its safe to say that English players can start counting their millions if this is the team they are going to face, btw where is this tournament going to be held.

Uppercut

1.Gayle
2.Fletcher
3.Marshall
4.Joseph
5.Bravo
6.Pollard
7.Cush
8.Emrit
9.Mohammad
10.Powell
11.Taylor
Chanderpaul has to play if that's what the team looks like. It's not like he can't hit the ball far, you just don't see it often. And look what he's up against...

Rickripper

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
On his day, Chanderpaul is an excellent one-day batsman, but in 20/20, he takes too long to get going, especially if he's coming in at 4 or 5. I'd like to see him open the batting with Gayle, and be given the liberty to accelerate through the innings. He is one of my favourite international cricketers at the moment, and he played one of the most remarkable shots I've seen all season.

Saying that, it really is England's money to lose.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've seen Chanderpaul smash the ball all over everywhere virtually from ball one before now, and he could very easily play some of the best Twenty20 innings you could see if the cookie crumbled right, innings virtually no batsman would be able to play under any circumstances. However it doesn't particularly seem to be a conscious thing with him - it's just whatever mood takes him.

Rickripper

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Funny, Shiv doesn't strike me as a particularly moody player. Actually, I remember during the Twenty20 cup, Sky Sports had him as one of their on-the-mic players, but they didn't speak to him once.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Has a pretty thick Guyanese accent IIRR. When you're out-of-breath, as batsmen invariably are in Twenty20, such things mean it's often difficult to hear properly what people are saying.

I had enough trouble understanding Jonty Rhodes in 2003 - when I for some reason found myself watching a Twenty20 match.

FBU

International Debutant
I presume Owais Shah would play for England in this instance?

Shah’s county Middlesex will also be in the Stanford Series, taking on the All Stars and England before their own winner-takes-all showdown with Trinidad & Tobago.

And having propelled them to victory in the Twenty20 Cup, Shah was desperate to play for both his teams in Antigua.

He added: “I did enquire about playing for Middlesex in the games that didn’t involve England but they said no.

“Playing against my county team-mates will be very weird — they know my game well but it should be good fun.”