• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Saeed Anwar vs Inzamam

subshakerz

International Coach
Saeed Anwar was Pakistan's best batsman in the 90s while Inzi was the best in the 2000s. But in a head-to-head, I always favored Anwar, given his tendency to score more when it mattered and impressive record against the Aussies. Inzi has always been touted as great against pace but never seemed that assured when batting. Any thoughts?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's a damn difficult one. Both were technically proficient far above the level you often see in Pakistani batsmen, but by no means faultless. Inzamam's record against South Africa and to an extent Australia was poor - but it was inexplicably so to me, it wasn't like he was worked-out in any such series, he just didn't play as well as he could at the times it mattered most. Saeed, though, I rarely saw him look anything other than superlative but in the end his career ended prematurely as personal tragedies and lack of fitness impacted. This ended-up meaning my memories of him were far more sporadic than those of Inzamam, who was seemingly always there whenever I looked at Pakistan.

I think I'd need to look deeper than I already have before I could come to a fair judgement.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh yeah - Saeed for ODIs easily, should say that. No question there. I presumed the question pertained purely to Tests - surely no-one would argue that Inzy > Saeed in ODIs?

Beleg

International Regular
Oh yeah - Saeed for ODIs easily, should say that. No question there. I presumed the question pertained purely to Tests - surely no-one would argue that Inzy > Saeed in ODIs?
I will. Inzy won us more matches.

edit: propotionally speaking.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
My favourite Saeed moment was the World Cup final when he changed bats.

Saeed obv for ODIs, Inzi for Tests obv.

Xuhaib

International Coach
In terms of sheer natural talent i feel Saeed was the most talented leftie after Lara.

P.S I am only talking 1990 onwards

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why so easily?

Inzamam being the best is quite conceivable, but I don't think it's a done-deal scenario the way it would be with, say, Javed Miandad and Mohammad Yousuf.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Why so easily?

Inzamam being the best is quite conceivable, but I don't think it's a done-deal scenario the way it would be with, say, Javed Miandad and Mohammad Yousuf.
inzy is the 2nd best batsman ever for pakistan behind miandad...anwar has been one of their best openers and he has probably performed better in odis but as a test batsman, no way was he as good...

haroon510

International 12th Man
Why so easily?

inzi better than yousuf any day. based on my personal choice i would go with inzi rather than miandad anytime if i were to choose an XI..

i would rate anwar better than yousuf at his peak..

i see it this way

inzi
miandad
anwar
yousuf
younis

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd put Younis Khan above Mohammad Yousuf myself and have done for the last 4 years or so but apart from that I'd go for the same sort of order. I really can't split Javed and Inzy though - they're level at the top of the pile for mine.