• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC Awards 2008

pup11

International Coach
Nominations for the LG ICC Awards 2008
Cricketer of the Year: Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Dale Steyn, Mahela Jayawardene, Graeme Smith
Test Player of the Year: Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Dale Steyn, Mahela Jayawardene, Jacques Kallis
ODI Player of the Year: Nathan Bracken, Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Sachin Tendulkar, Mohammad Yousuf
Emerging Player of the Year: Stuart Broad, Ajantha Mendis, Ishant Sharma, Morne Morkel
Associate Player of the Year: Ryan ten Doeschate, Alex Obanda, Niall O'Brien, Thomas Odoyo
Twenty20 International Performance of the Year: Chris Gayle, Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Brett Lee, Yuvraj Singh
Women's Player of the Year: Lisa Sthalekar, Charlotte Edwards, Claire Taylor, Nicola Browne
Spirit of Cricket: Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, New Zealand, West Indies
Umpire of the Year: Simon Taufel, Mark Benson, Aleem Dar, Steve Davis, Rudi Koertzen

pup11

International Coach
My picks out of the guys who have been nominated would be:
Cricketer of the year: Shivnarine Chanderpaul
Test player of the year: Shivnarine Chanderpaul
Emerging player of the year: Ajantha Mendis
Assosiate player of the year: RTD (he's gun)
Twenty20 international performance of the year: Yuvraj Singh
Women's player of the year: ????
Spirit of cricket: Bangladesh
Umpire of the year: Simon Taufel
ODI player of the year: MSD (would love to see Bracks win this one, because since his return to Odi cricket he has consistently been one of the best Odi bowlers in the world and last year was no different, but tbh can't see anyone else other than Dhoni winning this one)

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
My predictions
Cricketer of the Year: Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Runner up: Mahela Jayawardane
Test Player of the Year: Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Runner up: Jacques Kallis
ODI Player of the Year: Mahendra Singh Dhoni Runner up: Sachin Tendulkar
Emerging Player of the Year: Ajantha Mendis Runner up: Ishant Sharma
Associate Player of the Year: Ryan ten Doeschate Runner up: Thomas Odoyo
Twenty20 International Performance of the Year: Yuvraj Singh Runner up: Brett Lee
Spirit of Cricket: Sri Lanka Runner up: New Zealand
Umpire of the Year: Aleem Dar Runner up: Simon Taufel

masterblaster

International Captain
My Picks:

Cricketer of the Year: Shiv Chanderpaul
Test Player of the Year: Shiv Chanderpaul
ODI Player of the Year: MS Dhoni
Emerging Player of the Year: Ajantha Mendis
Associate Player of the Year: Ryan ten Doeschate
Twenty20 International Performance of the Year: Yuvraj Singh
Spirit of Cricket: New Zealand
Umprie of the Year: Simon Taufel

Most of the awards are real certainties except for Spirit of Cricket. That award can go either way. Sachin Tendulkar might pull of the ODI Player of the Year as well but for me it has to go to MS Dhoni. As much as I dislike Yuvraj Singh, he has to win the Twenty20 International Performance of the Year award. As for umpires, there are none better than Simon Taufel.

pasag

RTDAS
Would have had Lee in the Test player of the year category for sure, not sure if Mahela necessarily deserves to be there over Symonds or Sehwag either. And RTD ftw.

Not sure how NZ get nominated for the spirit of cricket award either, the Murali run out and Vettori pavilion incident come to mind as reasons why they shouldn't be nominated. Neither of those incidents bother me that much if at all, but you'd think it'd be enough to not be nominated. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with them, but they're just like every other team really.And Sri Lanka? Their practice of hiding players from the opposition - robbing crowds and viewers of the full enjoyment of matches, not to mention their players threatening to boycott a Test series to play in the IPL. Pointless award tbh.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
Would have had Lee in the Test player of the year category for sure, not sure if Mahela necessarily deserves to be there over Symonds or Sehwag either. And RTD ftw.

Not sure how NZ get nominated for the spirit of cricket award either, the Murali run out and Vettori pavilion incident come to mind as reasons why they shouldn't be nominated. Neither of those incidents bother me that much if at all, but you'd think it'd be enough to not be nominated. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with them, but they're just like every other team really. Pointless award tbh.
I can't understand how they can miss out on Lee, he has been awesome all through the last season virtually carrying the whole bowling attack on his shoulders and working on tirelessly wit great results, Sehwag should have also been there, but not so sure about Symmo, he definitely has the stats to be in there, but we all know he was lucky more than anything else, there is no way he was as good as his stats over the last year in test cricket suggest.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
What's the period they're looking at for performances? If it's just 2008 itself Kallis is maybe a bit fortunate to be nominated in test player of the year. Could hardly buy a run in England.

jammay123

State 12th Man
[

Cricketer of the Year: steyn
Test Player of the Year: steyn
ODI Player of the Year: MS Dhoni
Emerging Player of the Year: Ajantha Mendis
Associate Player of the Year: Ryan ten Doeschate
Twenty20 International Performance of the Year: MS dhoni
Spirit of Cricket: New Zealand
Umprie of the Year: Simon Taufel

]