• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A quick question

dan_andersonkro

Cricket Spectator
Hi guys,

My dads team have just had a young Aussie over to play for them in the season that has just finished. He was talking about how he was hoping to make his first grade debut when he gets back to Australia in a couple of days time, and I was wondering what level that is, in regards to how close to the state team.

Thanks.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
First grade is the same as club first XI in British terms.

I presume it's 2 levels below state level as club first XI is in British terms. Over here it's either Minor County or Second XI then county; in Aus it's state Second XI then county, and I've never heard of anything else but our Aussie know-alls can offer absolute confirmation.

dan_andersonkro

Cricket Spectator
Thanks for the reply.

I thought that was what it was, so basically the next step up from playing First Grade cricket for his club is to get into the State 2nd XI?

I know he was selected for the Queensland U19 side last December, but had to pull out due to injury.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Injury problems hey? Not Shane Watson is it?

Richard's pretty spot on.

In Sydney, there's 5 grades. From there state second XI, then Sheffield Shield.

Welcome, BTW.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'm pretty sure they won the First Grade comp last season.

What grade is your mate in? I don't actually play Grade Cricket.

dan_andersonkro

Cricket Spectator
From what I remember him telling people, he played 2nd grade cricket last season, and was selected for the Queensland U19 team, but had to pull out due to injury. He said he was expecting to make his First Grade debut this season, and then I assume after that he'll be hoping for a state contract the following season.

He came over to England this year to play, and absolutely destroyed everyone :laugh:

81 wickets in 15 games, and averaged about 89 as well, including a 150*. Best bowling figures were 7 for 7, off 7 overs, which included 3 in 3 and 4 in 4, and 5 in 6 :laugh:

His name is Cameron Gannon btw, in case the name rings any bells :P

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Division 4A of the Thames Valley League is not exactly tough cricket, though, is it? A parallel level to Cherwell 5, which I've played in this season, and I'm crap.

dan_andersonkro

Cricket Spectator
No it isn't. But it's easy to tell that him and the team as a whole are much much better than that division, seeing as out of the 15 games, they won 14 and drew 1.

bryce

International Regular
Ha, bet the rest of the teams in the comp weren't too impressed he wasn't playing in a higher grade

Last edited: