• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Quick question

Were you happy to see Ireland defeat Pakistan in the 2007 ODI World Cup?

• Total voters

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I'm sure if anyone votes no, and does not support Pakistan, of course, they'll admit to not be able to supress irrational thought.
Not sure I agree with that.. I was happy for Ireland that they managed to pull off the upset but at the same time, I was not happy that a strong team like Pakistan were kicked out of the WC so early.. Don't think my feelings would have been any diff. had it been any other team which got knocked out by Ireland.. I voted NO because as happy as I was for Ireland, I felt very bad about Pakistan not being in the tournament too....

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Had this random idea whilst blogging some time ago. If all the 10 test teams commited to just two ODIs per annum against whichever World Cup going Associates were around in the 4 years cycle leading up to each World Cup it would collextivelly give these 4 or 6 associates 80 ODIs worth of preperation in tems of exposure to the big guns before the main eventr. Just a thought.
There's economic reasons why that isn't likely. Don't forget, a lot of assosciate cricket is non-professional. The only time enough interest is generated to make it feasible to undertake a long, distant tour is- of course- the world cup.

Another thing- why is the viewing quality of the cricket considered to be the main concern? Surely there are plenty of other reasons why the cricket world cup should involve more than eight teams.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It'd take some nerve to keep calling it the World Cup with a system like that. It's once every four years and the sub-standard sides don't play test sides much in between. If not for the world cup, noone will ever know how close or how far assosciate nations are from the top level. And seriously, one tiny chance of the slightest bit of glory every four years. You have to give us something.
Dicko's set things up so Associates can't win either way in the bit you quoted. If one wins a game against their supposed betters it ruins the tournament; if they're thrashed out of sight it's proof they didn't deserve to be there in the first place.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It'd take some nerve to keep calling it the World Cup with a system like that.
Why? Cricket's World is, whether anyone likes it or not, comprised of 8 teams of note. You're not going to expand the game by pretending it's bigger than it is. The World Cup was conducted with 9 teams in 1992 and no-one complained; the network of serious teams has gotten smaller, not larger, since that time. Only difference is the smaller teams get much more exposure now. But none have reached ODI-standard, and Zimbabwe (due to the political situation of their country) has declined massively.
It's once every four years and the sub-standard sides don't play test sides much in between. If not for the world cup, noone will ever know how close or how far assosciate nations are from the top level.
That's not strictly true - but yes, of course there comes a time when games between associates and full members need to be conducted to test the waters. I've no objection to such things (don't like them being classed as ODIs but to stage the odd one now and then is absolutely fine) provided they're not overdone as if so it just provides copious amounts of cricket no-one wants to watch. And I certainly don't think the World Cup should be a place for so much as one single game that is of little or no interest.
And seriously, one tiny chance of the slightest bit of glory every four years. You have to give us something.
TBH, cricket is and works best for those in the elite (which is the vast, vast majority) as an elitist sport. The best way for my money is for lesser teams to work their way up and if and when they're ready they get regular competition; until such a time, no nothing, apart from the mentioned-above trial games.

Chemosit

First Class Debutant
Yep, that's a very fair point, and one I'd subscribe to entirely. I don't think the World Cup is the place for such teams. I think I$C$C is trying to achieve the creation of the illusion of expansion by having them involved. I see no benefit to anyone by such teams being involved (and normally being thrashed out of sight).

What I'd much prefer is some sort of qualifying round comprising of the preliminary group-stage from the previous Cup, though in a more foolproof manner. Then the Super Eight being the start of the tournament. That'd also achieve the cut-down in time that so many people are apparently so keen on.
They pretty much do this already. Its called the champions trophy as is about as much fun as sticking your head in a bucket of prawns that have been in the sun for a week. FFS why not just get a computer to generate all the results based on current rankings and remove any semblance of competition and the 'wrong' team winning.

Sport is about playing and competing, it should not be about $. The romance of big events like the WC is that the smaller teams get to take on and on occasion beat the bigger teams and it makes it all the more interesting. Take out the romance and you make it a very boring event.

Uppercut

TBH, cricket is and works best for those in the elite (which is the vast, vast majority) as an elitist sport. The best way for my money is for lesser teams to work their way up and if and when they're ready they get regular competition; until such a time, no nothing, apart from the mentioned-above trial games.
Why favour the elite majority? The elite majority have no wish to be favoured, indeed, with regards to this discussion, you're very much in the minority. This isn't, as you stated above, "cricket that noone wants to watch", the reaction on this forum alone suggests that what you really mean is "cricket that i don't want to watch". As for the world cup not being the place, i completely disagree. The world cup is cricket's showpiece, it's what the outside world has an interest in. But it isn't sacrosanct. The fanatical cricket-watching minority, to which we both belong, all know that test matches and series are where it's at. I don't care if a lot of minnows undermine the quality of the world cup, it's when they want a look into the Ashes that i'll object. It's a rare opportunity for assosciate nations to make an impact on the world stage, while keeping the cricket that really matters top-quality.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
They pretty much do this already. Its called the champions trophy as is about as much fun as sticking your head in a bucket of prawns that have been in the sun for a week.
Simply not true. On the one occasion when the Champions Trophy worked like that (ie, India 2006/07) it produced a tournament everyone praised greatly.
FFS why not just get a computer to generate all the results based on current rankings and remove any semblance of competition and the 'wrong' team winning.
Because then you don't watch it happen. Cricket is about more than just the result anyway - it's about style and panache.
Sport is about playing and competing, it should not be about $.
Yet whether we like it or not the sport will not survive without the $ and anyone trying to take the $s out of things would be doing the game a disservice.
The romance of big events like the WC is that the smaller teams get to take on and on occasion beat the bigger teams and it makes it all the more interesting. Take out the romance and you make it a very boring event.
I don't think so, as I say above. Many World Cups have been excellent events without such things happening - as was the Champions Trophy in 2006/07. Obviously, though, if you support a smaller team then a major upset would be the biggest thing you'd have to enjoy in a tournament.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why favour the elite majority? The elite majority have no wish to be favoured, indeed, with regards to this discussion, you're very much in the minority. This isn't, as you stated above, "cricket that noone wants to watch", the reaction on this forum alone suggests that what you really mean is "cricket that i don't want to watch".
Nah. Look at almost any ODI-standard-side-vs-substandard side game. TV audience will be minimal; the ground will almost certainly be mostly empty. Many noted writers, besides myself, have noted that apathy caused by mismatches is one of the biggest dangers to cricket at the current time.

Of course on the exceptionally rare occasion you get a major upset people will be talking about it for years, but when those don't happen (which is the vast majority) the game'll be forgotten the following day.
As for the world cup not being the place, i completely disagree. The world cup is cricket's showpiece, it's what the outside world has an interest in. But it isn't sacrosanct. The fanatical cricket-watching minority, to which we both belong, all know that test matches and series are where it's at. I don't care if a lot of minnows undermine the quality of the world cup, it's when they want a look into the Ashes that i'll object. It's a rare opportunity for assosciate nations to make an impact on the world stage, while keeping the cricket that really matters top-quality.
If ODIs are treated with disdain, that's what people will start to give them. ODIs need sacrosanction, same way Tests need it, because the format is not strong where it once was. There have long been those who've held disdain for it since pre-Twenty20 who are now clamouring for it to be lanced completely in favour of Twenty20.

As to the outside World having interest in the cricket World Cup - even in the UK, mainstream audience for the thing is small. I'd be interested to see how many major newspapers and TV stations from the non-cricketing World give the tournament so much as brief coverage.

Uppercut

Nah. Look at almost any ODI-standard-side-vs-substandard side game. TV audience will be minimal; the ground will almost certainly be mostly empty. Many noted writers, besides myself, have noted that apathy caused by mismatches is one of the biggest dangers to cricket at the current time.

Of course on the exceptionally rare occasion you get a major upset people will be talking about it for years, but when those don't happen (which is the vast majority) the game'll be forgotten the following day.

If ODIs are treated with disdain, that's what people will start to give them. ODIs need sacrosanction, same way Tests need it, because the format is not strong where it once was. There have long been those who've held disdain for it since pre-Twenty20 who are now clamouring for it to be lanced completely in favour of Twenty20.

As to the outside World having interest in the cricket World Cup - even in the UK, mainstream audience for the thing is small. I'd be interested to see how many major newspapers and TV stations from the non-cricketing World give the tournament so much as brief coverage.
I'm perfectly happy to treat ODIs with disdain. I've asked many before: have you ever met anyone who passionately loves LO cricket? I'm yet to find anyone. Maybe there's a few in India. Generally those who find the long form boring think ODIs are "less boring than the tests" or "alright". Is there anyone who would miss it much if it was gone?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think most (not all, but most) of those of us who've grown-up from the 1990s onwards probably would. I don't think I'd enjoy Test and First-Class cricket anywhere near as much as I do if it were the only thing, if there was no one-day cricket to break the rhythm up.

Some people of an older generation, who remember the time when limited-overs cricket was sparse or even non-existant, would probably be able to do without more easily.

haroon510

International 12th Man
i am a fan of pakistani team.. but that isn't the reason why i voted no.. i believe when bangladish and iraland defeated india and pakistan.. they suck the fun out of world cup 07 as well.. as result we saw alot of one sided matches which made the world cup dire and boring.. when cricket or any game is one sided it is never fun to watch.. this world cup was dominated by Aus.. maybe for aussie fans it was good thing but one sided matches are never fun to watch...and maybe the present of pakistan and india could have changed it alittle bit.. but overall it was dire and bad and it started going down ward from 23th of march when irland and bangladish dereated pakistani and india..

Uppercut

i am a fan of pakistani team.. but that isn't the reason why i voted no.. i believe when bangladish and iraland defeated india and pakistan.. they suck the fun out of world cup 07 as well.. as result we saw alot of one sided matches which made the world cup dire and boring.. when cricket or any game is one sided it is never fun to watch.. this world cup was dominated by Aus.. maybe for aussie fans it was good thing but one sided matches are never fun to watch...and maybe the present of pakistan and india could have changed it alittle bit.. but overall it was dire and bad and it started going down ward from 23th of march when irland and bangladish dereated pakistani and india..
It wouldn't have made it any better. Pakistan would have been destroyed by everyone even moreso than Ireland because Ireland are better at cricket than Pakistan. They proved it on March 17th.

haroon510

International 12th Man
It wouldn't have made it any better. Pakistan would have been destroyed by everyone even moreso than Ireland because Ireland are better at cricket than Pakistan. They proved it on March 17th.
:-O i didn't see that one coming.. ya whatever you say.. i mean there is no point of discussing this cuz you totally got my post the wrong way.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:laugh:

He's gained notoriety, and caused much anxiety in the autobahn society with his games.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I arrived home to a powercut tonight, so sans tv or t'interweb, I took the opportunity to read a few chapters of My Spin on Cricket by Sir Richie himself.

I immediately thought of this thread when I read this passage (chapter 18, p 257 hardback edition):

There is no doubt the World Cup competition has been the catalyst for the financial well-being of the game around the world, and, apart from producing some excellent cricket, it has taken cricket to countries and people who might never otherwise have been part of the game.

My highlights, obv. One man's opinion proves nothing, but it is nice to see that (arguably) the most repsected voice in cricket sees the WC as having a proselytizing role amongst the non-test nations.