• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Australia in India***

pup11

International Coach
Fixtures
Australia tour of India, 2008/09 October 2008
Thu 2 - Sun 5
04:00 GMT TBC v Australians
Venue TBC

Thu 9 - Mon 13
09:30 local, 04:00 GMT 1st Test - India v Australia
M Chinnaswamy Stadium, Bangalore

Fri 17 - Tue 21
09:30 local, 04:00 GMT 2nd Test - India v Australia
Punjab Cricket Association Stadium, Mohali, Chandigarh

Wed 29 - Sun 2
09:30 local, 04:00 GMT 3rd Test - India v Australia
Feroz Shah Kotla, Delhi

November 2008
Thu 6 - Mon 10
09:30 local, 04:00 GMT 4th Test - India v Australia
Vidarbha Cricket Association Ground, Nagpur

Well its one test series we have all been waiting for, the rematch between Australia and India, after the two teams locked horns in a contreversy ridden series down-under last year, so would Australia be able to beat India in India and retain the Border-Gavaskar trophy, or would India be able to beat the Aussies in test series again since the epic 2001 series that took place in India.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
Ok so the Australians have a lot of problems atm ,Hayden and Ponting are recovering from injuries, Lee is trying to make his way back from splitsville, Symonds' fishing row has caused some further problems, Australians don't have a spinner of note, Lee, Johnson and Clark are going to play their first test in India, so the experience is definitely not there in this bowling attack, so all in all the odds seem to be pretty heavily stacked against the Aussies, but can they defy the odds and still do well against a formidable Indian test team in their own backyard.

Precambrian

Banned
Just an Edit to the schedule :

One more practise match added : 2 day game Vs Rajasthan Cricket Association's Centre of Excellence at Jaipur from September 27 to 28. Source : Cricinfo.

Precambrian

Banned
I'd say: Bring in Parmar, prepare ripper dustbowls, play 3 spinners and knock 'em out. True pitches? Whats that?

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd say: Bring in Parmar, prepare ripper dustbowls, play 3 spinners and knock 'em out. True pitches? Whats that?
Haha yeah, let's throw a guy that's played 7 first class games into a series against the best team in the world. What could go wrong?

Precambrian

Banned
Haha yeah, let's throw a guy that's played 7 first class games into a series against the best team in the world. What could go wrong?
Reputations are bollocks. Just follow the "Best batsmen Vs Rookie spinner on debut : The Ajanta Mendis story".

Precambrian

Banned
Australia should win this, but it will be very good, entertaining cricket.
I'd say that's optimism at it's best, especially if the tracks are rippers. Because last time when they won, they had the services of all their premier batsmen plus Warne plus McG. This time they are doubtful of Haydos, Symonds and dont have Martyn, Gillespie (yeah underrated batsman) :ph34r: , Langer, Gilly, etc. Plus no spinner, and No proven test quality pace bowler of the calibre of McG.

sanga1337

U19 Captain
I'd say that's optimism at it's best, especially if the tracks are rippers. Because last time when they won, they had the services of all their premier batsmen plus Warne plus McG. This time they are doubtful of Haydos, Symonds and dont have Martyn, Gillespie (yeah underrated batsman) :ph34r: , Langer, Gilly, etc. Plus no spinner, and No proven test quality pace bowler of the calibre of McG.
Yeah this is definitely going to be a much closer series. But I still think we have some quality batsman and if brett lee is playing some good bowlers in lee and clark. Whats going to hurt us is a lack of a decent spinner and possibly injuries.

pup11

International Coach
Just an Edit to the schedule :

One more practise match added : 2 day game Vs Rajasthan Cricket Association's Centre of Excellence at Jaipur from September 27 to 28. Source : Cricinfo.
Yeah will do that once the schedule gets updated on cricinfo.:cool:

pup11

International Coach
Indian journos and fans are more or less certain that India would rip apart the Aussies this time around, as there are too many chinks in the Aussie armour this time around.

Precambrian

Banned
Indian journos and fans are more or less certain that India would rip apart the Aussies this time around, as there are too many chinks in the Aussie armour this time around.
I'd say that is quite overstated. But looking at the strength and weaknesses of the squads, i'd reckon India to start as favorites this time around. However, pitches will have a big big say, like last time.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
India has several problems of its own though..

Shame that the series seems to be happening when both teams have problems than when they were both at their best..

pup11

International Coach
An attack like the South African one caused India serious amount of problems even on pre-dominantly spin friendly tracks, so Australia can take heart from that, Australia have two of the best test bowlers in world cricket atm, in Clark and Lee, so its upto the likes of Johnson, Casson/Bollinger, Clarke to play their part, Australian batting even with all its problems is still pretty strong and capable of playing spin.

masterblaster

International Captain
The key question is will Ricky Ponting get continually owned by Harbhajan Singh on Indian tracks?

Seriously though, I'm anticipating a really tough contest. My instincts tell me that Australia will probably just get over the line. I don't like the shape of our ageing middle order at all. Although you can always count on Tendulkar and Laxman to deliver against Australia.

Can't wait, should be an absolutely amazing series.

Precambrian

Banned
The key question is will Ricky Ponting get continually owned by Harbhajan Singh on Indian tracks?

Seriously though, I'm anticipating a really tough contest. My instincts tell me that Australia will probably just get over the line. I don't like the shape of our ageing middle order at all. Although you can always count on Tendulkar and Laxman to deliver against Australia.

Can't wait, should be an absolutely amazing series.
I think he most likely continue to, unless Ishant gets him early on.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I fancy Australia for this one to be honest. Contrary to popular belief, you don't need a spinner to be successful in India. Indian batsmen excel against spin in all conditions. I'd bring Bracken for his cutters, and play an all-pace attack. If Watson's in the team, then there's room for Casson, but i'd fully expect him to be eaten alive.

Precambrian

Banned
I fancy Australia for this one to be honest. Contrary to popular belief, you don't need a spinner to be successful in India. Indian batsmen excel against spin in all conditions. I'd bring Bracken for his cutters, and play an all-pace attack. If Watson's in the team, then there's room for Casson, but i'd fully expect him to be eaten alive.
But does Australia possess the kind of attack to usurp the world's best batting lineup? Even on Australian surfaces, it required some doubty decisions and helpful pitches to get them the series.

Plus, does Australia possess the batting lineup to cope up with the spin twin of Harby and Kumble on a ripping surface like the kotla? Apart from Matt Hayden, which batsman has a proven track record against spin, or in India?

These have to be addressed.

On the contrary, Australia's biggest weapon will be this surprise element. And that the Indian middle order is showing serious signs of old age, one serious thwack and who knows, they might just go tumbling over the edge. Or, if the push is not strong enough, it could very well bite back, and it could be fatal.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But does Australia possess the kind of attack to usurp the world's best batting lineup? Even on Australian surfaces, it required some doubty decisions and helpful pitches to get them the series.

Plus, does Australia possess the batting lineup to cope up with the spin twin of Harby and Kumble on a ripping surface like the kotla? Apart from Matt Hayden, which batsman has a proven track record against spin, or in India?

These have to be addressed.

On the contrary, Australia's biggest weapon will be this surprise element. And that the Indian middle order is showing serious signs of old age, one serious thwack and who knows, they might just go tumbling over the edge. Or, if the push is not strong enough, it could very well bite back, and it could be fatal.
There's one very serious point that needs to be addressed before worrying about any of that. Australia are far better than India.