• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Australia in India***

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I am really struggling to believe that Australia don't have spinners who are averaging less than 45 in FC cricket.

Of course statistics don't tell the whole story, but generally they reflect how good you are.
It's no surprise, its the cycles of any sport.

Before Warne the last really top spinner Australia had was Benaud. There were others in between who did a serviceable job, but they weren't that flash.

A lot of the spinners we have haven't played that much FC cricket - Warne's FC record before he played for Australia wasn't great (not as bad as these blokes, granted). Had to give one of them a go on the subcontinent.

Polo23

International Debutant
It's no surprise, its the cycles of any sport.

Before Warne the last really top spinner Australia had was Benaud. There were others in between who did a serviceable job, but they weren't that flash.

A lot of the spinners we have haven't played that much FC cricket - Warne's FC record before he played for Australia wasn't great (not as bad as these blokes, granted). Had to give one of them a go on the subcontinent.
I'm not saying Australia should have someone brilliant, i'm saying that must have someone who has a credible FC record. Perhaps McGain was that man.

But seriously, I find it hard to believe guys with averages of 40 (Casson) and 45 (Krejza) are going to cut it in test match cricket, or even do a respectable job.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm not saying Australia should have someone brilliant, i'm saying that must have someone who has a credible FC record. Perhaps McGain was that man.

But seriously, I find it hard to believe guys with averages of 40 (Casson) and 45 (Krejza) are going to cut it in test match cricket, or even do a respectable job.
You're probably right. UNfortunately they're all we have right now. Guys like Hauritz and Cullen were obviously thought of pretty highly a few years ago, but haven't kicked on.
Also, bowling finger spin in Australia is a damn hard task which doesn't help development. The records of even good international finger spinners who come to Australia has been pretty ordinary in recent years.

Edit: one thing you have to give Johnson - he still bowls as fast at the end of the day as he does at the start. Yuvraj - that was woeful.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
You're probably right. UNfortunately they're all we have right now. Guys like Hauritz and Cullen were obviously thought of pretty highly a few years ago, but haven't kicked on.
Also, bowling finger spin in Australia is a damn hard task which doesn't help development. The records of even good international finger spinners who come to Australia has been pretty ordinary in recent years.

Edit: one thing you have to give Johnson - he still bowls as fast at the end of the day as he does at the start. Yuvraj - that was woeful.
Guy has some tank, his been bowling express for nigh on one hour now and still getting good bounce and troubling all the batsman.

Julian87

State Captain
Hasn't always been the case, certainly wasn't when Krejza was in the NSW squad. Even there, with his competition comprising such spinning luminaries as Nathan Hauritz and Casson himself, he couldn't make a go of it. He's a talented bowler, sure, but it's a risky move hoping he'll come good in a Test series against India. Anyway, there's a lot to suggest the Indian decks for this series will be roads too.
And MacGill which was obv why he moved.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Although it's an incredibly slow wicket, it's a good workout for the bowlers

Thought Johnson and Siddle were the pick whilst Lee has looked ok despite getting no assistance whatsoever

Indian commentators appraisal of Krezja

"Off spinners are generally treated with disdain in the subcontinent and unless he improves a lot, he'll be no different."

TBH, I dont know where this theory about fingerspinners being an attacking option in India came from - from what I've seen over the years, that's nothing more than a crock dreamt up by some PR hack to put a positive light on Krezja's selection

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I think Martyn used a similar tactic against Harbhajan during the last Indian tour and he was pretty successful too, so it can work for Punter also, but the only thing here that can work against Punter is that unlike Martyn he mostly doesn't play the ball soft hands, so he if works on that then he may be able to negate Harbhajan pretty successfully and finally get the monkey off his back.
Watch your words, you racist!

pup11

International Coach
Lee and Clark have looked ordinary tbh, there hasn't been much consistency in their bowling, Siddle and Johnson have been the pick of the bowlers, i am been pretty impressed by their effort, and of course slow nature of the pitch has made it tougher for the bowlers, but these are the conditions they are gonna encounter through the series, so they better prepare themselves for these sort of pitches.