• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Australia in India***

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd say Hauritz's of 49.57 is a pretty good one as well, though, and that's what I was replying to. Cullen's average is about 42 as well and that's propped up by a good early run.

Krezja is the best non-McGain spin option available to us for Indian conditions and the way people have reacted to one over is quite ridiculous IMO. You're free to have your opinion on his selection but geez, one over in a tour game proves very little.
Partially correct

Whilst it's true that you cannot judge much from one over, I'd argue that a combination of Clarke, Symonds and Katich bring far more to the spinning table than Krezja and have the added benefit of leaving another spot open for a test quality cricketer

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
CWers back in time to Brisbane 1928-29:

Jeez, this Bradman looks like crap. 18 and 1 on debut, and he's the next big thing. Ha ****ing ha ha

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Nah cribbage look, it's more fun to crucify the bloke now (y)

That way we can all jump on the bandwagon when he carves through the Indian middle order in the first test 8|
TBH I jumped on the bandwagon after I first saw him playing for NSW. I'm quite obviously biased towards him.

I wouldn't be totally against going with four seamers depending on what the pitch looked like, but I would have been against picking Casson, Hauritz, Bailey or Cullen ahead of Krejza for the tour. None of them have demonstrated the consistent performances required to be selected in a Test tour, but Krejza has definitely looked the best fit for Indian conditions when I've seen him.

duffer

Partially correct

Whilst it's true that you cannot judge much from one over, I'd argue that a combination of Clarke, Symonds and Katich bring far more to the spinning table than Krezja and have the added benefit of leaving another spot open for a test quality cricketer
Ouch! Agree with you though.

Burgey

Look at the wicket. There are visible footmarks after less than one session.

If that's the type of wicket that's on for the tests, how can't you pick a spinner? Right now he's the only one we have there who's (supposedly) a front line spinner and who's fit.

Top_Cat

TBH I jumped on the bandwagon after I first saw him playing for NSW. I'm quite obviously biased towards him.

I wouldn't be totally against going with four seamers depending on what the pitch looked like, but I would have been against picking Casson, Hauritz, Bailey or Cullen ahead of Krejza for the tour. None of them have demonstrated the consistent performances required to be selected in a Test tour, but Krejza has definitely looked the best fit for Indian conditions when I've seen him.
It's a weird argument that you're arguing performances (as opposed to raw talent) to put Krejza up when he's performed consistently worse than all of them except Bailey who hasn't been selected. Argue your perception of his raw talent, sure, but on performances, Krejza shouldn't be playing FC cricket right now, let alone about to get picked for a Test.

Johnners

Obviously there's one person we've all overlooked that should have taken the spot, Dan "5 overs" Doran (y)

I wasn't being 100% serious that we should cast Krejza out and not give him a chance after the 1 over, but I certainly do think that if he has an ordinary game here, 4 seamers could (and possibly should) be the preferred option. That said, I can't see it happening.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's a weird argument that you're arguing performances (as opposed to raw talent) to put Krejza up when he's performed consistently worse than all of them except Bailey who hasn't been selected. Argue your perception of his raw talent, sure, but on performances, Krejza shouldn't be playing FC cricket right now, let alone about to get picked for a Test.
I wasn't arguing that Krejza had demonstrated the performances required, at all. I was arguing that none of them (including him) had and hence the best bet was to have a punt on someone who looked like they had the goods when they played.

It's not something I'd usually argue for as I'm generally very much one for applying your trade consistently at First Class level before earning Test selection, but these are unusual circumstances. None of them have actually done that, and you have to pick someone.

social

Look at the wicket. There are visible footmarks after less than one session.

If that's the type of wicket that's on for the tests, how can't you pick a spinner? QUOTE]

Easily - if the guy isnt good enough to land the ball in the right spot consistently then the conditions are irrelevant

Top_Cat

I wasn't arguing that Krejza had demonstrated the performances required, at all. I was arguing that none of them (including him) had and hence the best bet was to have a punt on someone who looked like they had the goods when they played.

It's not something I'd usually argue for as I'm generally very much one for applying your trade consistently at First Class level before earning Test selection, but these are unusual circumstances. None of them have actually done that, and you have to pick someone.
I dont think you do. Picking a young bloke on a tour like India is a low-percentage move. It semi-worked for Robertson because it was always a one-off. If Krezja gets pumelled, could set him back permanently. Would rather see an all-pace attack with part-timers doing the spinning duties.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I dont think you do. Picking a young bloke on a tour like India is a low-percentage move. It semi-worked for Robertson because it was always a one-off. If Krezja gets pumelled, could set him back permanently. Would rather see an all-pace attack with part-timers doing the spinning duties.
Yeah, I wouldn't be totally against that depending on what the pitch looked like. But as far as the tour squad goes, Krejza was the best bet, for mine. If the conditions suggest we're really going to need a spinner (like the Mumbai pitch last time we toured, for example) then Krejza is the best non-McGain option ATM AFAIC.

He doesn't necessarily have to be in the eleven but I'd definitely have had him on tour.

Polo23

International Debutant
I am really struggling to believe that Australia don't have spinners who are averaging less than 45 in FC cricket.

Of course statistics don't tell the whole story, but generally they reflect how good you are.