Cricket Player Manager
Page 51 of 761 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151551 ... LastLast

Thread: ***Official Australia in India***

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    Any word on Navjot Sidhu commentating in this series?

Hopefully, Manjrekar, Slater and Blewett are on board.

Greig and Shastri hopefully won't get a start.
    Meh Id much rather listen to Greig or Shastri than have to bear any of the dross that comes out of Slater's mouth.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    Dont get your hopes too high mate..

All you are going to get are Arun Lal, Sivaramakrishnan, maybe Damien Fleming and someone else thrown in there... NEO are covering the series and the likes of Shastri, Gavaskar, Manjrekar are contracted to other channels..
    Great. Lal, Sivaramakrishnan are more than decent and when you throw in the likes of Bruce Yardley (top man), Flem, Ian Bishop (unless his doing Stanford) and maybe Chappelli you’re got a decent crew going on.

Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    Dont get your hopes too high mate..

All you are going to get are Arun Lal, Sivaramakrishnan, maybe Damien Fleming and someone else thrown in there... NEO are covering the series and the likes of Shastri, Gavaskar, Manjrekar are contracted to other channels..
    Haha, Siva will be a riot as always. He is very capable of some pretty insightful stuff though. I've gotten used to Arun Lal's ineptitude so I'm looking forward to him.

Just no Sidhu please. Watching him and Jadeja's "expert" analysis at times during the IPL was horrific. Both so blinkered it's not funny, keep them away from my TV screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    True, a Duffer "heh" is like 50 likes.

Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool View Post
    Watson is basically an unknown quantity at the test match level. Personally, I would be very surprised if he succeeded with the bat in India (assuming they prepare typical Indian conditions) as India is one of the toughest places to tour in the world, especially for someone who just starting his career. With the kind of inexperience that already makes up the large majority of this Australian side in Indian conditions, you'd think they would settle for someone like Katich.
    If he can handle spin well enough then i can see him scoring quite a few runs even in Indian conditions, he averages around 50 with the bat in FC cricket and obviously anyone who averages around 50 in Australian FC cricket would be expected to do well with the bat even in international cricket, on current form leaving Katich out seems unfair but the team managment is showing faith in Watson' ability and if he could perform upto his ability without picking up any injuries than his selection would be justified, but tbh Aussies are taking bit of a punt with him.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    With limited international cricket of late, must say I'm stinging for this series (or any series for that matter) to kick off.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Yea, I think he would be. This might be his last chance, maybe one more after this if he plays into his late thirties.
    Nope. I think this is it for Ponting. This is going to be his last chance to rectify his poor test record in India.

Watson is basically an unknown quantity at the test match level. Personally, I would be very surprised if he succeeded with the bat in India (assuming they prepare typical Indian conditions) as India is one of the toughest places to tour in the world, especially for someone who just starting his career. With the kind of inexperience that already makes up the large majority of this Australian side in Indian conditions, you'd think they would settle for someone like Katich.
    Micheal Clarke?
    Time: "Despite its gentlemanly manner, the sport generates tremendous passion in Britain and its former colonies."

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Speersy View Post
    Micheal Clarke?
    Yeah but he can play spin.....
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar

As far as Im concerned, India will seriously have to mess up to lose this series. Even one of the best Australian sides from 2001 struggled to win in India so I would be very surprised if this one which is a fly compared to the Australian sides that have toured India over the last decade can do any better.
    The outcome of this series is gonna boil down to how well India bat, as John Wright correctly pointed out.

If they can consistently put big runs on the board, they are in with a real shot.

I'm hoping India do bat well for the sake of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Speersy View Post
    Micheal Clarke?
    Clarke has always been good against spin so he obviously had an easier time than most newcomers would have while starting their careers in India, and in Watson' case its very well known that he has a definite weakness against spin bowling as he virtually plays spinners of the back-foot no matter what the length of the ball is, and with that sort of a technique he is a sitting duck against likes of Kumble and Harbhajan, so it would be interesting to see how he negates spin bowling.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pup11 View Post
    Oh God, that is a ****ty idea if I ever heard one. Why court controversy?
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    "He said the umpire review system, recently trialled in the India-Sri Lanka series, would not be in place for the upcoming four-Test contest. "I have heard very good things about it but I believe it won't be used till later this year and likely in our series against South Africa." "

Ugh. Another bad idea. I hope we actually talk about the cricket this time, but if there is no review system, and people start taking fielders words for catches, I don't think that'll happen.

There had been concerns, among both the BCCI and the Indian media, over the extensive arrangements provided by the RCA for the visitors in Jaipur, and Ponting said their practice had been ideal. "It was perfect for us; I know there were lots of speculation in the media whether we should have been allowed to do what we did but as far as the preparation goes it was absolutely perfect for us. We played on different types of wickets and against lots of bowlers."
    I'm glad Ponting found the accommodations perfect, but he shouldn't be saying that in the Indian media. Someone may lose their job.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 30-09-2008 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Oh God, that is a ****ty idea if I ever heard one. Why court controversy?
    Things went sour last time around when this these two teams faced each other, so obviously India won't agree to any pact, so it was obviously needless to say something like this, but tbf to Punter he has been advocating for such pact between teams for a long time now but none of the teams have ever agreed to it, so by now he should have dropped the idea, saying such a thing in front of the Indian media is the worst thing to do, as they are desperately waiting for the Aussies to give them hint of a reason to cook up another controversy, so Ricky should be careful with the kind of words he chooses both on and off field through this tour.

Quote Originally Posted by pup11 View Post
    His moralising about catches and "The Spirit of the Game" wouldn't irritate me so much if he had an unblemished track record. Is this the same man who spat out his dummy when Damien Martyn and Gary Pratt ran him out at Trent Bridge? Is this the same captain who, with his team, physically pushed the presentation party off the podium after winning a trophy? Is this the same man who refuses to walk when out but displays his fury when wrongly given out? Is this the same skipper who has constantly confronted and carped at umpires when decisions went against his team when fielding?

Punter, give it a break. You're a truly great player, but Champion of The Spirit of Cricket you ain't.

Thread Information