• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Australia in India***

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Lee to Sehwag, FOUR, 142.3 kmph full delivery on the middle and Sehwag whips it through wide mid-on. The camera pans to Ponting, who shows no emotion.
Are the cricinfo peeps watching this on TV?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The other way to look at it is what's happening to the overall market, is it growing or are the IPL numbers stealing from the Test market? The latter would be a dire situation indeed, but if both markets are growing and the IPL has potential of dragging Test cricket numbers up with it, then it's not all doom and gloom.
That's fair enough and I hope its the latter, but even if they are both increasing (I would guess this is not true), it would still mean Tests are pretty marginalized in terms of importance, no?

pup11

International Coach
Hey Pup you see the bowling from Johnson? and the 7-2 field?

edit:
10.5 Johnson to Sehwag, no run, Sehwag chases another one outside off and again doesn't connect
Yeah wide it, i have got no problems with that, and what gives you the idea that i was only suggesting only Indian bowlers should be penalised for such negative bowling.

shankar

International Debutant
Reg. the tv ratings it has to be kept in mind that the IPL was during prime time. So that's obviously going to skew the comparison.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
is it not "negative"/"dry" tactics?
Its not all about the field settings, its about the bowling as well. Yesterday bowlers were bowling quite far outside off stump, where as today the urgency for Australians is different. Aussie bowlers seem to be attacking the stumps more imo.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
is it not "negative"/"dry" tactics?
It may be defensive bowling, but it's a massive stretch to call this negative. It's not even as though he's bowling the majority of his deliveries well wide of off stump, and it's an orthodox field. This is perfectly ordinary test bowling, maybe a touch wider than the normal corridor but it's not exactly unusual. There's a reason yesterday sparked so much discussion, which is because it was a very defensive field and a consistently wide off-stump line.

Anyway in terms of calling wides, it's an interpretation of intent, there's nothing wrong with bowling wide of off-stump, it's only a problem if you pack the off-side field and bowl very wide consistently for a long period of time. Surely it's not that complex? It's like the Giles to Tendulkar stuff. It wasn't that he bowled the odd ball down the leg-side and got called for a wide. He bowled everything down leg to stop the batsman scoring.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Obviously India will never declare if they can help it, until any hope of any result has passed, but I am wondering if India are bowled out - what would be a competitive score? A safe score?

I'd say anything less than 350 gives Australia a chance, less than 300 a real big chance. 400+ and it starts to look very bleak.