• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Australia in India***

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Wasn't talking about yesterday at all, but commenting on the leg stump line from Giles, which SS described as good cricket.
I think it is - any tactic that benefits your team which is within the rules is good cricket. Now, that doesn't mean its exciting cricket. But many people say neither is Kallis or Dravid - I don't think that makes them players who don't play 'good' cricket.

Dravid and Kallis help their team reach a favorable result, as what Giles did.

Last edited:

quick4mindia

School Boy/Girl Captain
For the purposes of comparison, i don't think Ganguly's as good as his opposite number, Clarke, anyway. Nor, on recent-ish form, would i have Dravid over Ponting or Tendulkar over Hussey, and Laxman-Symonds is debatable too. I would conclude that only Virender Sehwag (and the wicket keeper, Dhoni) would get in the Australian batting lineup. So no, i really don't think this Indian batting lineup is the best in the world at all.
You seem to have unrealistic high opinion about Australian team.......They are very ordinary in this series......and will remain to be so (exception Bangladesh/Keya/Zimbabwe)

Their batting is absolutely ordinary and bowling sucks....IMHO

inbox24

International Debutant
You seem to have unrealistic high opinion about Australian team.......They are very ordinary in this series......and will remain to be so (exception Bangladesh/Keya/Zimbabwe)

Their batting is absolutely ordinary and bowling sucks....IMHO
You can come back and say that when India have dominated world cricket for the next decade. Until then keep it shut.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Let's not get childish here people. This thread better not denigrate into some India vs. Australia pot calling crap, or I'm out.

Anyway, Ishant Sharma player of the day yesterday for mine. Bowled his heart out, and did what the captain asked of him!

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I think it is - any tactic that benefits your team which is within the rules is good cricket. Now, that doesn't mean its exciting cricket. But many people say neither is Kallis or Dravid - I don't think that makes them players who don't play 'good' cricket.

I think negative cricket which is designed neither to take wickets or score runs is "bad cricket" so to speak. That doesn't mean defensive cricket though. Setting a defensive field and bowling defensively is fine. Bowling in a way to ensure that it's more or less impossible for a batsman to score runs and also almost impossible to get them out (ie: way outside off or consistently outside leg, especially for a spinner), is bad for the game IMO and the umpire can and should call wides if it's done consistently.

pasag

RTDAS
Yesterday really hurts, we were in such a good position. Couldn't have asked for things to go better. Bowled India out for the first time in ages, top order started well and then that :(

howardj

International Coach
Pretty negative yesterday from India, however let's as Australians not get too precious about it. After all, Warne did exactly the same thing in Adelaide in the last Ashes series and a couple of times previous to that, whereby he bowled around the wicket with no intention of dismissing the batsman. Anyway, I think Australia, given what is at stake in this Test, could have perhaps forced things along a little more yesterday. Yes, it would have involved risk, but I think the biggest risk in this Test for Australia is not to take risks!

IndGunner

First Class Debutant
I really have to disagree here. How can you say Australia was defensive, when India was the team bowling 2 feet outside off stump? Personally, I have no problem with you guys using the tactic because nowhere in the rule book does it say that you can't and it certainly worked.

But if you do use it, don't turn around and call the other team defensive, because that's just hypocrisy.
Hey man i never called the Australian team defensive i was just showing what some crazy journo said im sorry if u didn;t get what i was saying

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think negative cricket which is designed neither to take wickets or score runs is "bad cricket" so to speak. That doesn't mean defensive cricket though. Setting a defensive field and bowling defensively is fine. Bowling in a way to ensure that it's more or less impossible for a batsman to score runs and also almost impossible to get them out (ie: way outside off or consistently outside leg, especially for a spinner), is bad for the game IMO and the umpire can and should call wides if it's done consistently.
I understand the reasoning for calling it wide. However, how do you separate doing it with the intention of carrying on forever, or doing it for a session to try to suffocate the other team and getting them to make mistakes and thus lose wickets that way? The latter is a strategy to force a result, the prior is purposefully killing the time.

This goes for both leg side and off side, by the way. I'm not sure if you should legislate this. With that said, I agree that if a team just starts doing it and doesn't ever stop, it's certainly a problem and definitely bad for the game, as you say.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

I didn't say it had to be exciting cricket for it to be good. But spinners bowling outside leg continuously is neither exciting, or good cricket. It's a negative tactic, that does nothing to advance the game as the bowling team clearly are not trying to take wickets, nor can the batting team score runs.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I didn't say it had to be exciting cricket for it to be good. But spinners bowling outside leg continuously is neither exciting, or good cricket. It's a negative tactic, that does nothing to advance the game as the bowling team clearly are not trying to take wickets, nor can the batting team score runs.
But Giles for example, stifled the scoring from one end while the other guys from the other end might have a better chance at taking a wicket. I'm not sure if that is considered not advancing the game. It's hardly having six slips of course, but I don't think its proper to legislate against.

But, with Test cricket the state that it is in, I would be fine with giving the umpires the option to wide. I don't think you should automatically legislate against the field setting though (not that someone has suggested that).

IndGunner

First Class Debutant
can someone shoot mr roebuck already...

http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport...ll-test-cricket/2008/11/08/1225561205437.html

"As the balls flew past almost out of reach they had every right to echo Anil Kumble's withering remark after the SCG Test match that only one team had played in the spirit of the game. It was desultory fare to put before a thin weekend crowd."

He seems to think that the Indian fans will be saddened if india win the series here with these tactics.

howardj

International Coach
Just as a general question, do people think the bowling yesterday is as hard to score off as coming around the wicket and bowling outside leg? For mine, there is a real difference in degree. Yesterday's bowling, whilst negative, is far easier to score off and should not be pulled up by the umpire quite so quickly as the outside leg stump line.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If the first session yesterday was actually the last on day 5, and Australia needed 100 runs to win the match and level the series, I reckon Katich and Hussey, with 8 wickets in hand, would have been able to get the runs, so it wasn't exactly impossible to score of, compared to a leg side field.

As a poster earlier suggested, play the Laxman flick on the legside :p

Precambrian

Banned
can someone shoot mr roebuck already...

http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport...ll-test-cricket/2008/11/08/1225561205437.html

"As the balls flew past almost out of reach they had every right to echo Anil Kumble's withering remark after the SCG Test match that only one team had played in the spirit of the game. It was desultory fare to put before a thin weekend crowd."

He seems to think that the Indian fans will be saddened if india win the series here with these tactics.
Bull crap, how does one side get the other all out playing defensively? India got Aus all out, whether thy used outside off stump line or not, and to be frank not one guy in Australia got out chasing a wide one. Absolute hypocrisy.

IndGunner

First Class Debutant
Why does cricinfo keep bringing up all that crap from the indian tour earliar this year?
Everyweek there seems to be someother players article on Cricinfo about it...Seriously LET IT GO.