• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Australia in India***

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
India aren't the world's best batting lineup on current form. They were laughable in the Lanka tests.

Precambrian

Banned
Only partly down to Mendis, surely, though.
Three quarters Mendis. A quarter bad form. Not that Mendis's greatness, but the ageing reflexes failed to pick his novelty. If you noted, the worst casualty, Dravid started picking him, but it was too little too late.

BTW, Ganguly's definitely on the edge.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Three quarters Mendis. A quarter bad form. Not that Mendis's greatness, but the ageing reflexes failed to pick his novelty. If you noted, the worst casualty, Dravid started picking him, but it was too little too late.

BTW, Ganguly's definitely on the edge.
For the purposes of comparison, i don't think Ganguly's as good as his opposite number, Clarke, anyway. Nor, on recent-ish form, would i have Dravid over Ponting or Tendulkar over Hussey, and Laxman-Symonds is debatable too. I would conclude that only Virender Sehwag (and the wicket keeper, Dhoni) would get in the Australian batting lineup. So no, i really don't think this Indian batting lineup is the best in the world at all.

pup11

International Coach
But does Australia possess the kind of attack to usurp the world's best batting lineup? Even on Australian surfaces, it required some doubty decisions and helpful pitches to get them the series.

Plus, does Australia possess the batting lineup to cope up with the spin twin of Harby and Kumble on a ripping surface like the kotla? Apart from Matt Hayden, which batsman has a proven track record against spin, or in India? ---------> A certain M.Clarke comes to mind!:ph34r:
These have to be addressed.

On the contrary, Australia's biggest weapon will be this surprise element. And that the Indian middle order is showing serious signs of old age, one serious thwack and who knows, they might just go tumbling over the edge. Or, if the push is not strong enough, it could very well bite back, and it could be fatal.
Do you have any idea what you talking about, Australian pitches were flat and dead through the last summer, more or less one can say sub-continent like conditions were on display, expexct for Perth (where Australia lost their marbles due to all the crap that took place leading into the test), most of the series was played on conditions very unlike Australia, and tbt that has been the case with the Aussie wickets for a while now, but champions like McGrath and Warne never really let those conditions hamper them.

Precambrian

Banned
For the purposes of comparison, i don't think Ganguly's as good as his opposite number, Clarke, anyway. Nor, on recent-ish form, would i have Dravid over Ponting or Tendulkar over Hussey, and Laxman-Symonds is debatable too. I would conclude that only Virender Sehwag (and the wicket keeper, Dhoni) would get in the Australian batting lineup. So no, i really don't think this Indian batting lineup is the best in the world at all.
Hussey better than Tendulkar? Lol!! :laugh: Hussey's average in WI was in the 20s. And Hussey has hardly toured anything. Neither on recent form nor on track record such a comparison can be justified.

Dravid Vs Ponting? Ponting's a proven dud on indian pitches. No comparison there too.

Clarke Vs Ganguly? Tough call. But Clarke has the upperhand.

Sehwag? A league of his own. At current form capable of averaging 60-70 per series.

Dhoni Vs Haddin - Dhoni definitely has the upperhand.

So, it's very obvious Indian batting lineup wins hands down atleast on paper.

pup11

International Coach
Agree with this, Indian batting has been on the wobble for a while now, many are saying in Sri lanka Mendis had their number, but in the series against South Africa too they were pretty mediocre in general , so they have a few problems there.
Australian batting definitely has the pedigree to do well against any sort of attack in any condition and they have proven that time and again, but i for one am expecting Ponting to have a great series, he has constantly been targetted for not being good enough against spin, but he has come a long way since 2001 series and gradually he has got better and better at playing spin, so i expect him to lead from the front as always.

Precambrian

Banned
Do you have any idea what you talking about, Australian pitches were flat and dead through the last summer, more or less one can say sub-continent like conditions were on display, expexct for Perth (where Australia lost their marbles due to all the crap that took place leading into the test), most of the series was played on conditions very unlike Australia, and tbt that has been the case with the Aussie wickets for a while now, but champions like McGrath and Warne never really let those conditions hamper them.
:laugh: Crap leading to the test???? If anything, it should have hurt the Indians more!!

pup11

International Coach
Hussey better than Tendulkar? Lol!! :laugh: Hussey's average in WI was in the 20s. And Hussey has hardly toured anything. Neither on recent form nor on track record such a comparison can be justified.

Dravid Vs Ponting? Ponting's a proven dud on indian pitches. No comparison there too.

Clarke Vs Ganguly? Tough call. But Clarke has the upperhand.

Sehwag? A league of his own. At current form capable of averaging 60-70 per series.

Dhoni Vs Haddin - Dhoni definitely has the upperhand.

So, it's very obvious Indian batting lineup wins hands down atleast on paper.
Yeah, they would wish games were played on paper.:ph34r:

pup11

International Coach
:laugh: Crap leading to the test???? If anything, it should have hurt the Indians more!!
Aussies were being bashed from all corners, as time passed on, Indians were painted as victims and got all the sympathy, and they were also pretty pumped up to do well.

Precambrian

Banned
Aussies were being bashed from all corners, as time passed on, Indians were painted as victims and got all the sympathy, and they were also pretty pumped up to do well.
Shouldn't that acted as a pumping up for the Aussies as well? "See there are talks that we took last test with help of umpires, so lets show 'em what we really got"?

And besides, was not Perth the most "Aussie" ground?

And wasn't the most hyped pace bowler returning?

All this ideally should have won the match for Australia.

Lambu

U19 Debutant
And they tell us Indians are overconfident..i'm telling you,indians are a completely different side when they face the Aussies.I would have thought they might have learned their lessons after the what happened down-under but apparantly no.People have very short term memories indeed,if they put Hussey above Sachin esp after what he did last time these 2 teams faced off.

Anyway from an Indian POV,people talk debate about how the middle order might get revamped depending on the result..but what concerns me is if Tendulkar will recover in time for the series?If not who might get a look in?

pup11

International Coach
I know this might be a bit off topic, but I see your location as India. Funny you are die hard Aussie supporter.
Mate, since you are new to CW i want to tell you i am a die-hard Aussie fan, i have been one all my life, and would be one all through rest of my life.

Speersy

U19 Cricketer
I can't wait for this series to start. It has been awhile since Australia have played a test, too long actually. It looks like it will be on at a good time in Aus as well, I think 2pm- around 10 sounds very good to me.

I hope the coverage on Fox 3 is good, anyone know what commentators there will be?

Ohh yeah also do you think that some of the Aussies would want to perform particularly well in India because of the IPL, try and increase their perceived value?