Page 2 of 761 FirstFirst 12341252102502 ... LastLast

Thread: ***Official Australia in India***

International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!
    The key question is will Ricky Ponting get continually owned by Harbhajan Singh on Indian tracks?

Seriously though, I'm anticipating a really tough contest. My instincts tell me that Australia will probably just get over the line. I don't like the shape of our ageing middle order at all. Although you can always count on Tendulkar and Laxman to deliver against Australia.

Can't wait, should be an absolutely amazing series.
    Self Elected Vice-President of AAAS
    (Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society)

"Uniting Ajit Agarkar Fans World Wide"

Always Live Life With: Intensity, Integrity and Intelligence

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    The key question is will Ricky Ponting get continually owned by Harbhajan Singh on Indian tracks?

Seriously though, I'm anticipating a really tough contest. My instincts tell me that Australia will probably just get over the line. I don't like the shape of our ageing middle order at all. Although you can always count on Tendulkar and Laxman to deliver against Australia.

Can't wait, should be an absolutely amazing series.
    I think he most likely continue to, unless Ishant gets him early on.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    I fancy Australia for this one to be honest. Contrary to popular belief, you don't need a spinner to be successful in India. Indian batsmen excel against spin in all conditions. I'd bring Bracken for his cutters, and play an all-pace attack. If Watson's in the team, then there's room for Casson, but i'd fully expect him to be eaten alive.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I fancy Australia for this one to be honest. Contrary to popular belief, you don't need a spinner to be successful in India. Indian batsmen excel against spin in all conditions. I'd bring Bracken for his cutters, and play an all-pace attack. If Watson's in the team, then there's room for Casson, but i'd fully expect him to be eaten alive.
    But does Australia possess the kind of attack to usurp the world's best batting lineup? Even on Australian surfaces, it required some doubty decisions and helpful pitches to get them the series.

Plus, does Australia possess the batting lineup to cope up with the spin twin of Harby and Kumble on a ripping surface like the kotla? Apart from Matt Hayden, which batsman has a proven track record against spin, or in India?

These have to be addressed.

On the contrary, Australia's biggest weapon will be this surprise element. And that the Indian middle order is showing serious signs of old age, one serious thwack and who knows, they might just go tumbling over the edge. Or, if the push is not strong enough, it could very well bite back, and it could be fatal.

Quote Originally Posted by Pnottath View Post
    But does Australia possess the kind of attack to usurp the world's best batting lineup? Even on Australian surfaces, it required some doubty decisions and helpful pitches to get them the series.

Plus, does Australia possess the batting lineup to cope up with the spin twin of Harby and Kumble on a ripping surface like the kotla? Apart from Matt Hayden, which batsman has a proven track record against spin, or in India?

On the contrary, Australia's biggest weapon will be this surprise element. And that the Indian middle order is showing serious signs of old age, one serious thwack and who knows, they might just go tumbling over the edge. Or, if the push is not strong enough, it could very well bite back, and it could be fatal.
    There's one very serious point that needs to be addressed before worrying about any of that. Australia are far better than India.

India aren't the world's best batting lineup on current form. They were laughable in the Lanka tests.

Channel 9 coverage?

No chance dude. Fox Sports nailed on.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by duffer View Post
    India aren't the world's best batting lineup on current form. They were laughable in the Lanka tests.
    Duh, mate, T'was Mendis. Anyone could have been done in by him.

Duh, mate, T'was Mendis. Anyone could have been done in by him.
    Only partly down to Mendis, surely, though.

Banned
    Only partly down to Mendis, surely, though.
    Three quarters Mendis. A quarter bad form. Not that Mendis's greatness, but the ageing reflexes failed to pick his novelty. If you noted, the worst casualty, Dravid started picking him, but it was too little too late.

BTW, Ganguly's definitely on the edge.

Three quarters Mendis. A quarter bad form. Not that Mendis's greatness, but the ageing reflexes failed to pick his novelty. If you noted, the worst casualty, Dravid started picking him, but it was too little too late.

BTW, Ganguly's definitely on the edge.
    For the purposes of comparison, i don't think Ganguly's as good as his opposite number, Clarke, anyway. Nor, on recent-ish form, would i have Dravid over Ponting or Tendulkar over Hussey, and Laxman-Symonds is debatable too. I would conclude that only Virender Sehwag (and the wicket keeper, Dhoni) would get in the Australian batting lineup. So no, i really don't think this Indian batting lineup is the best in the world at all.

Plus, does Australia possess the batting lineup to cope up with the spin twin of Harby and Kumble on a ripping surface like the kotla? Apart from Matt Hayden, which batsman has a proven track record against spin, or in India? ---------> A certain M.Clarke comes to mind!

Do you have any idea what you talking about, Australian pitches were flat and dead through the last summer, more or less one can say sub-continent like conditions were on display, expexct for Perth (where Australia lost their marbles due to all the crap that took place leading into the test), most of the series was played on conditions very unlike Australia, and tbt that has been the case with the Aussie wickets for a while now, but champions like McGrath and Warne never really let those conditions hamper them.

Banned
    For the purposes of comparison, i don't think Ganguly's as good as his opposite number, Clarke, anyway. Nor, on recent-ish form, would i have Dravid over Ponting or Tendulkar over Hussey, and Laxman-Symonds is debatable too. I would conclude that only Virender Sehwag (and the wicket keeper, Dhoni) would get in the Australian batting lineup. So no, i really don't think this Indian batting lineup is the best in the world at all.
    Hussey better than Tendulkar? Lol!! Hussey's average in WI was in the 20s. And Hussey has hardly toured anything. Neither on recent form nor on track record such a comparison can be justified.

Dravid Vs Ponting? Ponting's a proven dud on indian pitches. No comparison there too.

Clarke Vs Ganguly? Tough call. But Clarke has the upperhand.

Sehwag? A league of his own. At current form capable of averaging 60-70 per series.

Dhoni Vs Haddin - Dhoni definitely has the upperhand.

So, it's very obvious Indian batting lineup wins hands down atleast on paper.

Agree with this, Indian batting has been on the wobble for a while now, many are saying in Sri lanka Mendis had their number, but in the series against South Africa too they were pretty mediocre in general , so they have a few problems there.
    Australian batting definitely has the pedigree to do well against any sort of attack in any condition and they have proven that time and again, but i for one am expecting Ponting to have a great series, he has constantly been targetted for not being good enough against spin, but he has come a long way since 2001 series and gradually he has got better and better at playing spin, so i expect him to lead from the front as always.

Thread Information