• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Australia in India***

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Krejza? WTF are the Australian selectors on :blink: ? At least they picked McGain who definitely deserves to be their. A bit disappointed that Bracken isn't even in the squad IMO. Reckon his slow cutters could be very useful on the Indian pitches.
Agree with this.

While Bracken is bowling towards the number 1 spot in the ODIs rankings Bollinger is taking wickets for his state. I reckon Bracken is better and there is every chance that Bolly just had a great year last year. I reckon he's on the improve, but if I had to chose between the two I would pick Bracken every time, especially in conditions such as India.

The good thing about Siddle/Bollinger/Krejza is there age.

howardj

International Coach
The thing that will count against Noffers is the make up of the attack. I think the selectors see him as a steady as she goes bowler. And Clark already ticks that box, while Lee ticks the pace box and Johnson or Bollinger (both won't play in the same team) tick the left-armer box.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I know what you mean, but if the Australian selectors weren't convinced with his efforts last season, then they shouldn't have picked him in the first place.
Hard to not. Even if you've no intention of putting him in the main XI, they needed him as a fringe player in case of injuries, especially since he was in-form and confident. I doubt they had any intentions of picking him in the Test side, though.

If the logic goes that only players who are either definite starters for the first XI or development players should be picked, then you may as well pick your XI then fill the rest of the spots with U/19 players. Noffke wasn't going to play without a few injuries but picking him wasn't an exercise in uselessness just because he didn't get a game or a spot in the 12, either.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How can you be so sure that Queensland would be too keen to have him in their squad when he is deemed psychologically unfit to play.
If Queensland dont pick him, it will only be because of pressure from CA

In that case, he should go fishing and bank the $200,000 that they're paying him to sit on the sidelines

pasag

RTDAS
In brief:

Pretty upset with no Symonds, but I guess it was to be expected. On the upside, Watto!

Great stuff not seeing Casson there, sorta justifies in retrospect playing him in the WI.

Noffers and Hodge probably feeling a bit meh at this stage, though with the packed schedule over the next year I'm sure they'll get their chance.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hodge looked horrific in India during the ODI's and the IPL, no way in hell he should've got a call up for this. Reckon Katich will score big here.

pasag

RTDAS
Ideally:

Hayden
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Watson
Haddin
Lee
Clark
McGain
Bollinger

But more likely:

Jaques
Hayden
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Watson
Haddin
Lee
Johnson
Clark
McGain

pasag

RTDAS
Hodge looked horrific in India during the ODI's and the IPL, no way in hell he should've got a call up for this. Reckon Katich will score big here.
Don't really think it had much to do with the conditions though, just a bit of a rough trot and plus different format etc. He did well in the WI and has been the 'next man' for a while now so that fact Symonds is out would give him reason enough to feel a tad slighted that he wasn't even in the squad. Doesn't bother me too much though.

sanga1337

U19 Captain
Ideally:

Hayden
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Watson
Haddin
Lee
Clark
McGain
Bollinger

But more likely:

Jaques
Hayden
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Watson
Haddin
Lee
Johnson
Clark
McGain
It would be completely unfair to drop Jaques considering he's done nothing wrong at opener. India would also be a good learning experience for him. Same with Katich who made the most of his opportunities in the West Indies.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
In brief:

Pretty upset with no Symonds, but I guess it was to be expected. On the upside, Watto!

Great stuff not seeing Casson there, sorta justifies in retrospect playing him in the WI.

Noffers and Hodge probably feeling a bit meh at this stage, though with the packed schedule over the next year I'm sure they'll get their chance.
Indeed that is great. :)

Think the Qld Bulls website is going a little far in saying his resurrection is almost complete... I'm not sure he's god just yet.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
It would be completely unfair to drop Jaques considering he's done nothing wrong at opener. India would also be a good learning experience for him. Same with Katich who made the most of his opportunities in the West Indies.
Yep, it's not fair, but I think Katich would score more runs and is in good form and that's the most important thing to me so if I was naming the XI it would be Katich over Jaques.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep, it's not fair, but I think Katich would score more runs and is in good form and that's the most important thing to me so if I was naming the XI it would be Katich over Jaques.
Well you never know what might happen now... there's already been some weirdness in the squad selections.

Jakester1288

International Regular
The squad for the four Test matches to be played is:
Code:
PLAYER	STATE	AGE
Ricky Ponting, Captain	TAS	33
Michael Clarke, Vice-Captain	NSW	26
Doug Bollinger	NSW	27
Stuart Clark	NSW	32
Brad Haddin	NSW	30
Matthew Hayden	QLD	36
Michael Hussey	WA	32
Phil Jaques	NSW	28
Mitchell Johnson	QLD	26
Simon Katich	NSW	32
Jason Krejza	TAS	25
Brett Lee	NSW	31
Bryce McGain	VIC	36
Peter Siddle	VIC	23
Shane Watson	QLD	27
Interesting squad there. Krejza is a decent off spinner who can bat a bit from what I have heard, but I don't see why he should of been selected. He will not get a run while Bryce McGain is there. But as in my report, he may just be this spinner Australia are blooding. I said, "The next topic I wish to cover is Australia's spinner. We need one, who is a front line spinner, not some part timer, like Andrew Symonds or Michael Clarke. Although Clarke has been talking to former leg spin king, Shane Warne, not doing much bowling, just discussing field placements, how to bowl to certain batsmen, where to pitch it, etc.

I think Australia's spinner should be Bryce McGain, even though he is a quick fix. He will be good enough for the tour of India, New Zealand's tour here, and finally the South African tour. However, we may need to blood a spinner, for the 2009 Ashes, because if McGain can't last that long, we will be lost on the spin friendly pitches of England." This is correct, and Australia may just be making the right move in selecting him, so he can hang around the team a bit, and get the feel of things. I can see him sending down a few in the One Dayers as well, where McGain can be rested.

Watson will only be for the One Dayers.

Great to see Bollinger in the side, exactly what we need, so he can play Tests and Johnson can bowl in the ODI's. As I have said many times before, he is a one day player, and he gets the ball to bend back in to the right handers, which is great. It will be interesting to see how much swing any of the Australian bowlers can get from these pitches.

From the squad above, I think we can expect a side looking a little something like this:
1. Matthew Hayden
2. Phil Jaques
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Michael Hussey
5. Michael Clarke
6. Simon Katich/Shane Watson
7. Brad Haddin
8. Brett Lee
9. Stuart Clark
10. Bryce McGain
11. Doug Bollinger

The only position I am unsure about in there is number 6, where we no longer have Andrew Symonds, for this tour at least. I think Simon Katich should be selected over Shane Watson, for 2 main reasons;

1 - Because Katich is better at rebuilding innings after losing a few wickets, where Harbhajan and Kumble will rip through our top order on our pitches.

2 - He offers more spin, which is what you need on Indian, low, spinning pitches. And with Lee, Clark and Bollinger holding up the fast bowling attack, as well as McGain sending down some leggies, another fast bowler is not needed.

One more note, I don't know where McGain bats, so I just slotted him in at number 10. Correct me if he would bat in a different spot.

And yes, that did drag on, and makes no sense at all. :)

Jake's cricket posts are great value IMO. One of the best young CC posters we've had on here in my time I reckon. Has been overlooked somewhat due to the unnecessary stuff with spinksy, that isn't really going on now.

Jake, hope you stick with us here at CW as I reckon you might well turn out to be an awesome poster.
Thanks mate. I have really been trying to improve my foruming of late, and I think it has been going alright. I love my Cricket, and have a good knowledge, for someone my age at least. Also, thanks to everyone who commented on my preview, it was a bit washed up and fast, but it was good enough to post up imo.

Jakester1288

International Regular
It's just tests on this tour, no ODI's :)
Ok. I just got home, and jumped on the computer, and opened www.cricket.com.au and say this, which said:

Squad for VB Tour of India Announced
Cricket Australia’s National Selection Panel (NSP) today announced a 15-man Test and a 14-man one-day international squad to take part in Australia’s tour of India beginning in October.
And had the squad mentioned under it. ITSTL...

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Krejza is such an odd selection - and a **** one. Why not pick Cullen, Heal or Doherty if you weren't going to pick Casson. It's so confusing.

Hope Katich plays instead of Watson - would be much more comfortable with him in the side.