• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Great Dhoni

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's not a problem until he gets selected in the test team as a batsman only :) ...
I'm still to be convinced he's a better Test batsman than Karthik, and given Karthik is at least as good a wicketkeeper, that would mean that if Dhoni wasn't such a massive star (though obviously that's mainly important for ODIs) there'd be a case for questioning how much of a Test future he has.

Precambrian

Banned
I'm still to be convinced he's a better Test batsman than Karthik, and given Karthik is at least as good a wicketkeeper, that would mean that if Dhoni wasn't such a massive star (though obviously that's mainly important for ODIs) there'd be a case for questioning how much of a Test future he has.
Kartik has deteriorated both as keep and bat. His keeping was ultra shoddy in Sri Lanka and he dropped at least 3 or 4 catches and was replaced by P Patel. Dhoni has improved his keeping immensely, and the proof of this is that he has hardly been in news for keeping badly. Yep, no news is good news as far as keeping goes.

As far as his batting goes, he had tough time in Australia, but i would suggest him playing his natural game rather than adopt the ODI game in tests.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Kartik has deteriorated both as keep and bat. His keeping was ultra shoddy in Sri Lanka and he dropped at least 3 or 4 catches and was replaced by P Patel.
Well I did wonder, being replaced by Patel is never exactly encouraging. Patel in his previous stint had to be one of the worst wicketkeepers of those who apparently were supposed to be good (ie, excluding the likes of Deep Dasgupta) that I've ever seen.
As far as his batting goes, he had tough time in Australia, but i would suggest him playing his natural game rather than adopt the ODI game in tests.
That sounds well and good on paper, but it doesn't often work on the park. You have to play the ball on its merits. Fact is the likes of Clark and, last summer, Lee, don't offer you many scoring shots and if you try to manufacture them you'll likely not last long. You can only score when the bowler offers you the chance.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thought Dhoni's keeping out here last summer was absolutely 1st class. A real hihglight IMO.

pup11

International Coach
Even if one discounts the fact that Dhoni is still to prove himself as a test cricketer, but to ask him to keep, bat and lead the side in the longer form of the game could be a lot more than he could handle atm.