• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

B.Desh V Zim V Ken V I.Land V S.Land

Fastest to Rank 8 & Up?

• Total voters

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
Lets say If Kenya, Zimbabwe, Ireland & Scotland get Test Status by 2010, Which of these nations could be better cricketing nation & could soon be among the top 8? Y?

alvarez

First Class Debutant
Judging by the ICC Intercontinental Cup competition that is underway at the moment, Kenya are looking the goods in the longer form of the game, with Namibia also travelling along nicely. Although, I think Ireland and Scotland will be the fastest two to rise up the rankings.

pup11

International Coach
Lets say If Kenya, Zimbabwe, Ireland & Scotland get Test Status by 2010, Which of these nations could be better cricketing nation & could soon be among the top 8? Y?
If that were to happen i would stop watching test cricket, but anyways out of all those teams i think Ireland has the best chance of being competitive, as they seem to have a slightly more organised cricketing set-up as compared to other associates, but i would be years before they could even be able to compete the top cricketing nations.

alvarez

First Class Debutant
If Kenya's admin didnt go to **** for a few years there, they may well have already been there. If im not mistaken there was a fair push for them after the 03 World Cup?

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
If Kenya's admin didnt go to **** for a few years there, they may well have already been there. If im not mistaken there was a fair push for them after the 03 World Cup?
I pity Them... Sould have been great to see Kenya as Test team...

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep they formally applied but got turned down. The new admin seems to have got over these issues but the cricketers (esp the batsmen have to start showing some steel)

On the topic my heart says Kenya given they are the furtthest along laying the faoundations, but my head says Ireland cos they have the best preapred first XI right now

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
I feel Ireland & Kenya If given Test status right now could overcome Bangladesh by 2011... Don't know wat's wrong with Bangladesh, they keep repeating the same mistakes again & again & again. They are in the same standard as they were in 1999. No Improvement at all... They only imp they could show was during Dav Watmore's Coaching...

Chemosit

First Class Debutant
I dont see any of the Associates being ready for this by 2010.

After the next WC, if a team shows it has significantly improved and has developed a FC domestic set up, this might become a reality.

Any of the top 3 in the current IC could get there in terms of standard, at least to compete with teams in the lower spots. If Ireland win a third successive title, they will be in the best position to lobby for this.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bangladesh batsmen are still absolutely clueless when it comes to constructing proper innings, they can hit flash boundaries and score brisk cameos but that's it.

As Bangladesh's talent is in the batting they have to make a hell of a lot more of what they have.

Anyway really is hard to say for the poll. I think probably Kenya because of being more naturally gifted physically. You'd think some day they'll produce some big menacing bowlers.

Last edited:

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
Bangladesh batsmen are still absolutely clueless when it comes to constructing proper innings, they can hit flash boundaries and score brisk cameos but that's it.

As Bangladesh's talent is in the batting they have to make a hell of a lot more of what they have.

Anyway really is hard to say for the poll. I think probably Kenya because of being more naturally gifted physically. You'd think some day they'll produce some big menacing bowlers.
Wish to see that soon. But the recent tour by Kenya was utter disaster... In terms of improvement i feel Namibia could be the second best African Nation... They are doing very well in wat ever opportunity they have got. I would love to see a one day match between Namibia & Kenya or Zimbabwe now... Should be very interesting....

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member

Not sure what the bolded part means.

However, from recent watching, it isnt just that the Bangladesh batsmen lack concentraton but that they lack good technique. It is every one of them. Ashraful is often mentoned as the present and future of Bangladesh batting but his technique is all over the place. He can never be more than an inconsistent player at the higher level.

pup11

International Coach
Not sure what the bolded part means.

However, from recent watching, it isnt just that the Bangladesh batsmen lack concentraton but that they lack good technique. It is every one of them. Ashraful is often mentoned as the present and future of Bangladesh batting but his technique is all over the place. He can never be more than an inconsistent player at the higher level.
I think Scaly was talking about their stamina and strength, lot of champion marathon runners tend to come from Kenya, so they seem to naturally gifted in that regard, but given the state of cricket in Kenya, i don't think too many young lads there would be too keen on taking cricket as a profession.
Anyways i think giving test status to any of the associates atm would be a joke, as now of them are ready or experienced enough.

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
Wat changes can we expect from the top Associates with the increased funding which was promised by ICC from next year???

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Scaly was talking about their stamina and strength, lot of champion marathon runners tend to come from Kenya, so they seem to naturally gifted in that regard, but given the state of cricket in Kenya, i don't think too many young lads there would be too keen on taking cricket as a profession.
Anyways i think giving test status to any of the associates atm would be a joke, as now of them are ready or experienced enough.
Actually next to athletics cricket is perceived to be the most money spinning career if you can get going in it given the relatively healthy remunerations centrally contracted players get from Cricket Kenya. TRoublr is the schools and clubs where cricket is played regularly are so concentrated to certain estates in , Mombasa Nairobi, Nakutu and kisumu that it seen as quite an alien beast to the rest of the country.

Chemosit

First Class Debutant
Aside to Andruid's reply on this, the physical make-up of the long distance runners does not necessarily lend itself to cricket. Most of the top cricket players roots are in Western Kenya and are from a tribal grouping that tends to provide more of our sprinters, football players and rugby players. Their physique is more consistent with the image of the big fast bowler.

That said, it is mainly only one tribal grouping that provide Kenya's cricketers. I would love to see the game truly take of nationally as then there would be real potential in terms of natural talent. I reckon tall players from the Maasai/Samburu tribes would make ferocious bowlers and some of the smaller framed tribes could produce great batsmen. Unfortunately, this is still a long way away...

andmark

International Captain
Bangladesh already have test status. The only other contender of getting the number 8 spot is Zimbabwe because of cricketing experience.

Last edited: