• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

11 Internationals

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I was just randomly looking at the Yorkshire 1997 squad.

There looks to be 13 International players that played for Yorkshire that season (past, current, future).

So for domestic teams, a challenge. Name an XI that all played in the same season for the same team and all played International cricket.

3 pts- All represented same country and all Test cricketers
2 pts- All represented same country but some ODI or T20 players OR all Test but different nationalities
1 pt- Different nationalities and players that played different formats.

My 1997 Yorkshire XI for 3 pts

1. Moxon capt
2. Vaughan
3. McGrath
4. White
5. Blakey wkt
6. Hamilton
7. Gough
8. Silverwood
9. Sidebottom
10. Batty
11. Hoggard

Eligible but left out in order to get full 3 pts- Lehmann (Aus) and Wharf (ODIs)

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Random check of Surrey 2001 reveals 14 Internationls playing that season

My 2001 Surrey XI for 3 pts

1. Stewart wkt capt
2. Butcher
3. Ramprakash
4. Thorpe
5. Ward
6. A. Hollioake
7. B. Hollioake
8. Tudor
9. Salisbury
10. Bicknell
11. Giddins

Eligible but left out in order to get full 3 pts- Saqlain (Pak) and Brown (ODIs), Batty (not selected)

stumpski

International Captain
I happen to know that this was the first time a county side took the field with a full hand of Test players - Middlesex v Essex at Lord's in May 1981. It only scores two though as Thomson and Daniel represented Australia and West Indies respectively.

Brearley (capt)
Downton (w/k)
Radley
Gatting
Butcher
Barlow
Emburey
Edmonds
Selvey
Thomson
Daniel

If these teams were 'weighted' according to what the players did in Tests, I'd be in trouble with the selection of Butcher, Barlow and Selvey.

I like this though, I'll look for a few more. Mid-1980s Leicestershire and Essex spring to mind.

bryce

International Regular
Canterbury 2005-06
1.Papps
2.Stead
3.McMillan
4.Fulton
5.Astle
6.Cairns
7.Harris*
8.B.McCullum+
9.McLean(WI)
10.Wiseman
11.Bond

Last edited:

Precambrian

Banned
3 Points for me too...

Irani Trophy, 2003/04
Mumbai v Rest of India
MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chepauk, Chennai
18,19,20,21 September 2003 (5-day match)

Rest of India Squad

SC Ganguly (Captain)
R Dravid
SB Bangar
V Sehwag
VVS Laxman
Yuvraj Singh
PA Patel (Wicket-keeper)
Z Khan
L Balaji
Harbhajan Singh
A Kumble

The reason I remember it pretty well is because it's the first match (and only one) involving Tendulkar I've been to in my real life. Tendulkar made captain's knocks of 94 and 50 in both innings for Mumbai but despite that RoI won by 3 wickets. Was a good match!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
"Rest Of" teams hardly count though do they? By nature if internationals are all available, they're going to play.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I was just randomly looking at the Yorkshire 1997 squad.

There looks to be 13 International players that played for Yorkshire that season (past, current, future).

So for domestic teams, a challenge. Name an XI that all played in the same season for the same team and all played International cricket.

3 pts- All represented same country and all Test cricketers
2 pts- All represented same country but some ODI or T20 players OR all Test but different nationalities
1 pt- Different nationalities and players that played different formats.

My 1997 Yorkshire XI for 3 pts

1. Moxon capt
2. Vaughan
3. McGrath
4. White
5. Blakey wkt
6. Hamilton
7. Gough
8. Silverwood
9. Sidebottom
10. Batty
11. Hoggard

Eligible but left out in order to get full 3 pts- Lehmann (Aus) and Wharf (ODIs)
That's Gareth Batty who's now at Worcestershire? Didn't know he'd played for Yorkshire.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But "Rest Of" anything isn't a regular team. It's a team for which anyone and everyone can play, unless obviously they're involved with the "not rest". There is no registration.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Random check of Surrey 2001 reveals 14 Internationls playing that season

My 2001 Surrey XI for 3 pts

1. Stewart wkt capt
2. Butcher
3. Ramprakash
4. Thorpe
5. Ward
6. A. Hollioake
7. B. Hollioake
8. Tudor
9. Salisbury
10. Bicknell
11. Giddins

Eligible but left out in order to get full 3 pts- Saqlain (Pak) and Brown (ODIs), Batty (not selected)
I'm trying to remember when Jimmy Ormond joined Surrey. Possibly 2002? if so you could substiture him for Ben Hollioake in the following season.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
CBF doing it, but NSW should clean up, around when they had Taylor, Slater, the Waughs, Bevan, McGrath, the Lees, etc.

bagapath

International Captain
is there any county team or a first class team from which all 11 members represented the country together? it was probably possible in the early days of test cricket. in modern times what could the record be?

i know for a fact that karnataka team mates srinath, prasad, kumble, dravid and joshi played for india around the same time. but not sure if all five were in any one test team. 4 of them in many i am sure.

barbados had the 3Ws and sobers playing for the west indies in the same time, iirc.

Precambrian

Banned
is there any county team or a first class team from which all 11 members represented the country together? it was probably possible in the early days of test cricket. in modern times what could the record be?

i know for a fact that karnataka team mates srinath, prasad, kumble, dravid and joshi played for india around the same time. but not sure if all five were in any one test team. 4 of them in many i am sure.

barbados had the 3Ws and sobers playing for the west indies in the same time, iirc.

That's a problem with India. You have so many teams. And zone based selections ensure that you don't have more than 4 to 5 players from one state representing the national team at a time at best. Plus the turnover in test cricket is lesser as compared to English cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But there is selection required.
If you don't select a team, a team doesn't exist. Selection is required for every single team ever.

The point is which players were registered to play, ideally over a reasonable length of time, for a team. Not in a one-off game.

Precambrian

Banned
It is just the nature of the game that demands that the game is one-off. The team stays forever. However the constituent members change. Same as any other team. Only thing is that while other teams play many matches, RoI plays only 1 match every year. Speciality of Indian domestic structure.

Live with it man!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As recently as 2001 Surrey had Mark Butcher, Ian Ward, Stewart, Thorpe, Ramprakash and Tudor in a Test team - and Martin Bicknell was a tadge unlucky to not be, and Ian Salisbury had been the previous winter, and Alistair Brown and Ben Hollioake were sometimes in the ODI side the same summer. Enough, of course, for southern-bias conspiracy-theorist idiots to bang-on about southern bias.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It is just the nature of the game that demands that the game is one-off. The team stays forever. However the constituent members change. Same as any other team. Only thing is that while other teams play many matches, RoI plays only 1 match every year.
And they are a completely random team, unlike others who have players registered to them on long-term bases and who must be registered to play.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Lancashire 96 fpr 2 points

Atherton
Gallian
Crawley
Fairbrother
Lloyd
Flintoff
Hegg
Chapple
Watkinson