Cricket Player Manager
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Twenty20 Cup in England

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    I think I was about right about scoring

I reckon 180 ought to win games, that 140-150's par, and we'll see a couple of 200+.
    Maybe even an under-estimate
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Pinball Champion!
    Originally posted by Neil Pickup
    I think I was about right about scoring

Maybe even an under-estimate

Very heavily weighted depending on which ground... For Example a number of sweeps went for six in Taunton which is tiny which probably would have been caught elsewhere..

I think the scores will be restricted once the opposition learn that two class bowlers can really dry the runs up... For Example Waqar Younis was impossible to get away tonight, especially as it was very dark towards the end...
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Cricket Web Vice Administrator
    Originally posted by Langeveldt
    Very heavily weighted depending on which ground... For Example a number of sweeps went for six in Taunton which is tiny which probably would have been caught elsewhere..

I think the scores will be restricted once the opposition learn that two class bowlers can really dry the runs up... For Example Waqar Younis was impossible to get away tonight, especially as it was very dark towards the end...
    I totally agree, there are so many factors that could sway one of these games.

As you say ground size, today at The Rose Bowl and in the Surrey match a combined total of 4 6's were hit, yet in the Somerset game there were loads.

Again like you say the weather could prove a big factor for a team batting 2nd in the setting sun and fading light etc. However the light was fantastic in sunny Hampshire and play could have easy have gone on for at least another 30 mins.

I think like you say about Waqar being hard to get away, I think there will always be at least one or two bowlers who keep things rather tight, in the Hampshire game 4 bowlers (both inngs) who conceded less runs than balls bowled, yet a total of 150+ was still achieved... and like I say that was without having to hit loads of 6's - in fact just under half of the final total of both sides (301 runs) only 146 runs come in boundaries, which shows hard running and finding the gaps still are a massive part of the game, it's not trying to hit the ball out the ground on every shot like alot of people thought it would be.
    Last edited by Rich2001; 13-06-2003 at 05:09 PM.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Ahh, condensed cricket...
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Rik
    Originally posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
    And like the milk it will probably end up with a nasty taste in the mouth...
    "Age is just a stupid number"

20...that's a rather big number :(:(:(

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Originally posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
    Dead right. The early blast with the fielding restrictions blends nicely in to the frantic flaying at the end.

My first impression was that it was hectic fun (and the players seemed to be enjoying themselves too - a bit).

Bouncy Castles and cricket - what more do you want?
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    How elegantly stated.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Originally posted by Rich2001
    In other games though I notice Warwicks are using I Bell to open the bowling, why?
    I think the idea was take the pace off the ball? I notice Burns opened for Somerset.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

I should like to congratulate Worcestershire on a performance of glorious ineptitude today - 122 all out.

Hurriedly checks Derbyshire's score, sees that Yorkshire have made 186, shuts mouth quickly

Rik
    Twenty20 looks a decent idea...just too short. You can't value your wicket and players are often out quickly because they have to score straight off. Also a run a ball often isn't good enough! I'm watching Worcestershire vs Gloustershire and the number of poor shots being played because of the pressure of scoring reminds me of watching bowling pins just as the bowler releases the bowling ball. They really don't have much of a chance...

Originally posted by Rik
    Twenty20 looks a decent idea...just too short. You can't value your wicket and players are often out quickly because they have to score straight off. Also a run a ball often isn't good enough! I'm watching Worcestershire vs Gloustershire and the number of poor shots being played because of the pressure of scoring reminds me of watching bowling pins just as the bowler releases the bowling ball. They really don't have much of a chance...
    Give it time. The most important aspect at present is the fact that the games are being played in front of huge crowds - 3 or 4 times as many as B&H group games. Now that's not going to leave a nasty taste in anyone's mouth.

Face it, the biggest problem from an England perspective in ODI's has always been the last 20 overs. What better way of practicing that than to have games where you JUST have the last 20 overs?

Me, I just can't wait for Thursday when I'm going to watch Derbyshire against Notts. Bouncy castle here I come!

PY
    Originally posted by Rik
    the number of poor shots being played because of the pressure of scoring reminds me of watching bowling pins just as the bowler releases the bowling ball.
    I think that's what makes this competition good, with time people will improve under this pressure (though not the people who count i.e. the England ODI side) and being able to cope with pressure will stand them in good stead for all other forms of the game as all involve pressure.

Can't for the life of me explain why it's been done so none of the international side gets to play in this. Just hope the potential younger players get used to pressure and bring that through in future.
    A True Champion - Bob. Rest in peace. 15/04/06
    "People today have too big a devil and too small a God"

- Stephen Currie

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    From what I've heard it has been a great success, with lots of people going - I guess the weather has helped!

Just looking to see whether Essex are going to be penalised over bowling rate - I reckon their time's up with an over and 2 balls to go (Azhar's peppering the car park, so maybe there'll be an allowance for that)

Originally posted by Rich2001
    To be fair the above could happen, but theres two things you need to remember here

1/ It's not a new Comp, it's replacing the B&H Cup so players would be playing anyway therfore could have got injuries.

2/ With the need to score quickly and consistantly, therefore the English players will qain much needed pratcie in uping the scoring rate which they struggle in the ODI and it was said England had one of the worse 4/6's % in the game, so this will help. But probley the major point is that the guys will lean new shots / deliveries (in effort to score / prevent runs) which can only be a good thing if they take them onto International level.
    I never supported the B & H Cup. I could not imagine a competition supported by a ciggerette company that promotes cardiovascular disease and yet is supporting a cricket which is always trying to get people into the sport???
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information