• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Greatest Cricketer.....

Rebecca

School Boy/Girl Captain
Please nominate three of the greatest cricketers ever to have played in your domestic cricket team.

My county team is Somerset and I nominate;
Ian Botham
Viv Richards
Marcus Trescothick

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Sussex

Post-war:

Mushy
Imran Khan
Ted Dexter

Pre-war:

Maurice Tate
Ranji
CB Fry

Near-misses

John Snow
Ian Thomson
Garth le Roux

stumpski

International Captain
For Surrey I'll nominate:

Jack Hobbs
Alec Bedser
Jim Laker

Near-misses:

Alec Stewart
Tom Richardson

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lancashire

Syd Barnes
Archie Mac
Reg Spooner

(too much Cardus as a child)

Reading!!!!

Alec Bedser
Ken Barrington
Peter May

Rebecca

School Boy/Girl Captain
Who would you say was the greatest England cricketer to play in an overseas domestic team?

pskov

International 12th Man
Essex CCC

Graham Gooch
Trevor Bailey
Keith Fletcher

Near misses:

Andy Flower
Nasser Hussain
Jack Russell (the pre-war batsman)

I included only players who made a significant contribution to Essex CCC for a number of seasons, not just the most talented ever to have played for the county, which is one of the reasons for Fletcher edging out Flower.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hussain > Fletcher for mine. Though whether he'd agree (as Fletcher was one of his heroes) I'm not sure.

Though the edited-in qualification makes some impact I suppose, but I'm not sure the original question was aimed at that. If so, Tendulkar certainly shouldn't be in the Yorkshire list as he played 1 season and did no more than decently by his standards.

stumpski

International Captain
Who would you say was the greatest England cricketer to play in an overseas domestic team?
There haven't been that many, but Botham played briefly for Queensland, and Denis Compton appeared in the Duleep Trophy during WW2.

Rebecca

School Boy/Girl Captain
So I'm wondering if any of the overseas posters will choose an Englnd player......

Can anyone please direct me to the thread that used to be here about the domestic set ups in all the different cricketing countries. I can't find it.

Rebecca

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hussain > Fletcher for mine. Though whether he'd agree (as Fletcher was one of his heroes) I'm not sure.

Though the edited-in qualification makes some impact I suppose, but I'm not sure the original question was aimed at that. If so, Tendulkar certainly shouldn't be in the Yorkshire list as he played 1 season and did no more than decently by his standards.
No, even if they only played one FC game as Allan Border did for Gloucestershire for example, you can still nominate them if you think they were the greatest cricketer to have ever played for your domestic team!

stumpski

International Captain
Keith Miller appeared in one match for Nottinghamshire, and Ian Chappell one for Lancashire. I only learned of the latter when we had a 'Best players who never played county cricket' thread a year or two back.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Cambridge University is my local FC entity. I'd go for:

Duleepsinhji
Peter May
Ted Dexter

The Hon Stanley Jackson just misses out