• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Greatest Cricketer.....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
WoW, only 100 centuries - no tough qualification there then!

Boycott's average for Yorkshire, incidentally, was just short of 58 - 57.85. His record for MCC and England touring XIs was rather more impressive though - in the mid-60s. Did rather well in his games for TN Pearce's, DH Robins' and Brian Close's XIs too, which these days would rightly be considered dubious for First-Class status.

Flem274*

123/5
Most of Central Districts greats will be from the modern era, as iirc we weren't too flash before we knicked Martin Crowe from Auckland for a bit.

Matthew Sinclair
Jacob Oram

Drafted players: Martin Crowe, Ian Smith

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
For Queensland:

Greg Chappell
Alan Border
Ray Lindwall

Two caveats:
1. If we're not considering performances for the state but just status as a player, then IMO Viv Richards and Ian Botham are the two greatest cricketers ever to play for Queensland.
2. None of them were actually born there... :(
Odd that when you started producing local talent, you finally won comps! :ph34r:

morgieb

Really, didn't know that. Do OS players count? If so, perhaps Imran Khan for NSW.
Indeed. I mentioned Khan as an honarble mention. If I didn't, add him. NSW have had HUGE talent in the past 30-odd years, and bought over only 2 imports. Impressive.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Otago

Jack Alabaster
Bert Sutcliffe
Glenn Turner
Yeah, hard to argue with that. Maybe Bazza McCullum will take Alabaster's spot in a year or two?

Really, didn't know that. Do OS players count? If so, perhaps Imran Khan for NSW.
Paddles spent the 1979/80 season in the Apple Isles but it was a rather acrimonous time, apparently - it was on his next tour of Aussie, after (I think) an interview with a radio station where his comments about his season in Tassie were taken the wrong way, that the "Hadlee is a wanker" chant started. And never stopped...

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Most of Central Districts greats will be from the modern era, as iirc we weren't too flash before we knicked Martin Crowe from Auckland for a bit.

Matthew Sinclair
Jacob Oram

Drafted players: Martin Crowe, Ian Smith
Carl Bulfin, Stu Duff, Scott Briasco, Mark Douglas and Glen Sulzberger all genuine contenders for that list. :ph34r:

Zinzan

Please nominate three of the greatest cricketers ever to have played in your domestic cricket team.

My county team is Somerset and I nominate;
Ian Botham
Viv Richards
Marcus Trescothick
You mention Marcus Trescothick before Martin Crowe and Joel Garner :wacko: You really need to check on their respective county records