• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Greatest Cricketer.....

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
NSW
Bradman
Miller
McGrath
Honarble mention to Trumper & Gilchrist.
Chose 1 batsmen, bowler & all-rounder (including keeper).

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
For Queensland:

Greg Chappell
Alan Border
Ray Lindwall

Two caveats:
1. If we're not considering performances for the state but just status as a player, then IMO Viv Richards and Ian Botham are the two greatest cricketers ever to play for Queensland.
2. None of them were actually born there... :(

Last edited:

Precambrian

Banned
He averaged barely 40 and had a terrible year for us and wasnt even our first choice.
Sachin Tendulkar averaged 46.52 scoring 1,070 runs from 16 Championship matches and was second best in terms of average among yorkshire batsmen during that year, and third among highest run aggregators among the Yorkshiremen (the other 2 had played 18 and 22).

So I don't think that was a terrible performance for a 19 year old.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Sachin Tendulkar averaged 46.52 scoring 1,070 runs from 16 Championship matches and was second best in terms of average among yorkshire batsmen during that year, and third among highest run aggregators among the Yorkshiremen (the other 2 had played 18 and 22).

So I don't think that was a terrible performance for a 19 year old.
haha, touch a nerve did I?

19 or not, he was playing as an overseas pro and still had a massive reputation.

He scored 1 century in 16 games for Yorks (a score of exactly 100). That wasnt good enough for a high profile overseas pro (Yorkshires first ever).

He was a massive disappointment. There are no 2 ways about it.

EDIT- A story about Tendulkar. He was living in Bradford whilst at Yorkshire and sharing an apartment with Kambli (I think or was it Jadeja?), who was playing local league cricket.

Yorkshire gave Tendulkar a sponsored car with "Sachin Tendulkar. Yorkshire and India". The car was then proceeded to be stoned everytime he drove it or parked it around Bradford by British Pakistanis. They had to take the stickers off in the end. :laugh:

Last edited:

Precambrian

Banned
haha, touch a nerve did I?

19 or not, he was playing as an overseas pro and still had a massive reputation.

He scored 1 century in 16 games for Yorks (a score of exactly 100). That wasnt good enough for a high profile overseas pro (Yorkshires first ever).

He was a massive disappointment. There are no 2 ways about it.
Trust anything remotely "anti" about Sachin to touch not only one but all nerves of a self-confessed Tendulkar-addict!

I understand he came in with a massive reputation, and that he did not perform upto the extremely huge levels, but he did not perform extremely bad either (I hope you'd remember there were no divisions that time)

His 50s were like - 86, 92, 89, 93, 56, 82, 77 indicating he could have gone and converted atleast 5 of them into 100s.

Also don't forget that his only 100 was a not-out one coming in the 4th innings in a winning cause for the Yorks against Durham.

Overall, a tad disappointment but not by much.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Surely this all further explains why Goughy wouldn't pick him as one of Yorkshire's best cricketers though?

Precambrian

Banned
EDIT- A story about Tendulkar. He was living in Bradford whilst at Yorkshire and sharing an apartment with Kambli (I think or was it Jadeja?), who was playing local league cricket.

Yorkshire gave Tendulkar a sponsored car with "Sachin Tendulkar. Yorkshire and India". The car was then proceeded to be stoned everytime he drove it or parked it around Bradford by British Pakistanis. They had to take the stickers off in the end. :laugh:
:@ Tendulkar was destined to be jinxed as far as gifted cars were concerned. The Ferrari fiasco was such a rubbish non-incident blown to indecent proportions by the media too.

Precambrian

Banned
Surely this all further explains why Goughy wouldn't pick him as one of Yorkshire's best cricketers though?
I agree that Sachin was not the greatest cricketer for Yorkshire. However all I was trying to prove was that while he didn't have the greatest year, he did not scrape the bottom as Goughy was ostensibly suggesting.

bryce

International Regular
Richard Hadlee played for Tasmania aswell, though he did not do too much for them...

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
On the Sachin-for-Yorkshire debate I'm with Goughy. You have to take into account his performances for the club as well as his overall career and reputation. Otherwise I'd add Javed Miandad to my Sussex list.

To be fair, the fact that he was (IIRC) Yorkshire's first non-white player, their first overseas player, and one of the first to play for them who was not born in Yorkshire, and all at the age of 19, is an achievement in itself. However in terms of run-scoring I'd imagine that someone like Richard Blakey has had better seasons than Sachin did for Yorkshire.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Doesn't Tendulkar average like 60+ for Mumbai in Indian domestic cricket? I'm sure he could have dominated County Cricket too, but if he'd done that then perhaps we would have been robbed of his batting these last few years.

Precambrian

Banned
Doesn't Tendulkar average like 60+ for Mumbai in Indian domestic cricket? I'm sure he could have dominated County Cricket too, but if he'd done that then perhaps we would have been robbed of his batting these last few years.
He does. However, Sachin simply didn't have time for any FC cricket once ODI cricket caught fancy of the public and BCCI, and even lean seasons meant travelling to places like Sharjak, Morocco, Toronto etc for imo useless ODI binges.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
You were right BTW perm, I was basically saying the best cricketers to have played for Yorkshire, not the best player for Yorkshire.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The best Yorkshire players (ie, best for the county rather than best players who at one point represented the county) irrefutably played a loooooooong time ago, in the likes of Hirst, Rhodes, Sutcliffe, Hutton, Trueman, Boycott.

What's odd is that while Herbert Sutcliffe was almost certainly a better batsman than Geoffrey Boycott, Boycott's Yorkshire average was actually higher.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
The best Yorkshire players (ie, best for the county rather than best players who at one point represented the county) irrefutably played a loooooooong time ago, in the likes of Hirst, Rhodes, Sutcliffe, Hutton, Trueman, Boycott.

What's odd is that while Herbert Sutcliffe was almost certainly a better batsman than Geoffrey Boycott, Boycott's Yorkshire average was actually higher.
Boycs was a particularly phenomenal runscorer in First Class cricket. I believe that of all the batsmen with more than 100 FC centuries, Boycott's average (56.83 or something close to it off the top of my head) is second only to Bradman's.