• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If your first XI was unavaliable, what would your 2nd XI be?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Cheating a wee bit, considering Ronchi, Anderson and Henry are all on tour at present :P
The thread is "If your first XI was unavailable" not "if your current test squad is unavailable" so I think it's allowed.

Mike5181

International Captain
1. Michael Papps
2. Jeet Raval
3. Michael Bracewell
4. Dean Brownlie
5. Jesse Ryder
6. Corey Anderson
7. Luke Ronchi+
8. Todd Astle
9. Matt Henry
10. Ben Wheeler
11. Adam Milne

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Cheating a wee bit, considering Ronchi, Anderson and Henry are all on tour at present :P
Henry's on the A tour isn't he? Anderson might be close to making the yes side but Ronch is definitely second choice and Henry is like 4th in line.

Actually ill put Dougeh in over Wheeler.

Blocky

Banned
Ah, for some reason I thought it implied selecting players who weren't in the touring squad and weren't likely to make "the first eleven" for the entire season... in which case, guys like Ronchi, Henry, Anderson seem to be cheating.

Athlai

Not Terrible
On the no touring squad mentality.

Papps
Bracewell
Flynn
Ryder
Munro
Franklin
de Boorder (+)
NcCullum at home/Tastle away
Wheeler
Gillespie
Bennett

Wouldn't put Milne in till he actually plays at least half a first class season without breaking. Inb4 Bennett to play without breaking.

Blocky

Banned
On the no touring squad mentality.

Papps
Bracewell
Flynn
Ryder
Munro
Franklin
de Boorder (+)
NcCullum at home/Tastle away
Wheeler
Gillespie
Bennett

Wouldn't put Milne in till he actually plays at least half a first class season without breaking. Inb4 Bennett to play without breaking.
Put that star on Franklin.. you know you want it.

DriveClub

International Regular
Apo's 1st XI:

Root's daddy
Buck
Dooleys/Hughesy/SMarsh
TPC
Pup
Twatto/MMarshy
Whiteman
Mustache Johnson
Rhino
Behrendoff(is there an easier nickname?)
Lyon

Apo's 2nd XI:

Root's daddy
Buck
Dooleys/Hughesy/SMarsh
TPC
Pup
Twatto
MMarshy
Whiteman
Mustache Johnson
Rhino
Lyon

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
1st XI in brackets followed by 2nd XI

(Dimuth) Warnapura
(Silva) Kusal
(Sanga) Mubarak
(Thirimanne) Chandimal
(Matthews) Vithanage
(Tharanga) Priyanjan
(Prasanna) Dickwella +
(Eranga) Kulesakara
(Prasad) Randiv
(Herath) Pradeep
(Lakmal) Welegedara

Probably one or two contentious picks in the 1st XI but the 2nd XI is pretty much the failed test players and upcoming prospects, Kulasekara leads a mediocre pace attack where Welegedara edges out Gamage, if the surface was turning I spose Seekkuge gets the nod over Tharindu Kaushal just, Randiv is our no 2 spinner atm IMO. I'm struggling for openers here so Warnapura moves up the order, Mubarak gets rewarded for a good domestic season and Chandiguns, Vithanage, Priyanjan and Dickwella are in and around the national side with a few retirements coming up

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
(Warner) Hughes
(Rogers) Burns
(Watson) Doolan
(Clarke) Khawaja
(Smith) White
(Marsh) Maxwell
(Haddin) Nevill
(Johnson) O'Keefe
(Pattinson) Siddle
(Harris) Hazlewood
(Lyon) Bird

2nd XI is probably halfway between what I'd pick and what the selectors would pick. 1st XI is bwhat I suspect the selectors would pick for the First Test at the Gabba, with Patto coming in. Joe Burns is a risk as an opener, but I like his style and he's not a retread like most of our other 2nd XI bats; he still has a chance of forging a successful Test career. I'm not even sure if Starc would make my 3rd XI, TBH, but Siddle survives because the other options haven't proven themselves really.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If the first XI were unavailable, then the current second XI would be the first XI, and the current third XI would be the 2nd XI. Duh.

SeamUp

International Coach
Might as well do the whole ladder.

If the test XI is : Deano, Virus, Faf, Hash, AB, JP, QdK, Vern, Dale, Piedt/Tahir, Morras

2nd XI

1. R.Hendricks
2. White
3. van Zyl
4. Rossouw
5. Bavuma
6. Wiese
7. Mosehle (wk)
8. Parnell/McLaren
9. Harmer
10. Abbott
11. de Lange

Reserve 2nd XI batsmen: Puttick, Ontong, Ingram, Smuts, Chetty, Zondo, Miller, van Jaarsveld, Cook, Behardien
Reserve 2nd XI wk: Vilas, Second
Reserve 2nd XI spinners: Peterson, Leie, Phangiso, von Berg, Shamsi
Reserve 2nd XI seamers: Kleinveldt, B.Hendricks, Viljoen, Morris, Tsotsobe

Limited overs players at this stage : Levi, SA Engelbrecht, Delport, Vandiar, Abrahams, Pienaar, Symes, Pretorius, Frylinck, van der Merwe, Shezi

Youthful future XI from recent SA u19 sides. Some could even be SA 2nd XI already.

1. Markram
2. Cloete
3. de Bruyn
4. Price
5. Rosier
6. Fortuin (wk)
7. Savage
8. Subrayen
9. Rabada/ Dry
10. Dupavillon/ Williams
11. Kirsten/ Engelbrecht

Current Schoolboys (SA u19) :

Opening batsman: Rickelton, Breetzke
Middle-order batsman: Roelofsen, Hope
all-rounders: Phehlukwayo, Galiem
Seamer: Glover

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
(Warner) Hughes
(Rogers) Burns
(Watson) Doolan
(Clarke) Khawaja
(Smith) White
(Marsh) Maxwell
(Haddin) Nevill
(Johnson) O'Keefe
(Pattinson) Siddle
(Harris) Hazlewood
(Lyon) Bird

2nd XI is probably halfway between what I'd pick and what the selectors would pick. 1st XI is bwhat I suspect the selectors would pick for the First Test at the Gabba, with Patto coming in. Joe Burns is a risk as an opener, but I like his style and he's not a retread like most of our other 2nd XI bats; he still has a chance of forging a successful Test career. I'm not even sure if Starc would make my 3rd XI, TBH, but Siddle survives because the other options haven't proven themselves really.
Good teams.

Assuming your first XI is the best XI, I think the Aussie think-tank would come up with the following team:

1 Hughes
2 Khawaja
3 Doolan
4 Cooper
5 Maxwell
6 Wade
7 Henriques
8 Siddle
9 O'Keefe
10 Starc
11 Hilfenhaus

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Assuming a First XII of:
1. Warner, 2. Rogers, 3. Watson, 4. Clarke*, 5. Smith, 6. Marsh, 7. Haddin+, 8. Johnson, 9. Harris, 10. Siddle, 11. Lyon (12. Pattinson)

I'd be looking at:

1. Hughes, 2. Cowan*, 3. Cooper, 4. Burns, 5. Lynn, 6. Henriques, 7. Nevill+, 8. O'Keefe, 9. Coulter-Nile, 10. Sayers, 11. Hazlewood. (12. Bird)