• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If your first XI was unavaliable, what would your 2nd XI be?

Polo23

International Debutant
Forgive me regarding Stewart, but hasn't he opened before? Though that may have been in a few limited overs games.

I'm not saying Guptill will always be a poor FC batsman, but you can't deny that he is at the moment and to say he should be picked ahead of Bell, Cumming, Papps and others is ridiculous. He isn't as good as them. Whether he will be remains to be seen.
You disregarded Guptill's List A record when comparing him to other players...so even if Stewart has opened in some OD games it is irrelevant.

Guptill isnt a poor FC batsman, as of yet he hasnt had great succes, that does not make him a poor batsman.

I would definitely pick him ahead of Bell and Papps...they looked completely out of their depth in test cricket and in all honesty were lucky to last as long as they did. Cumming I think is a decent player, and atleast looked capable of scoring international runs.

I don't think anyone would pick Guptill in their first XI at the moment (though given we have so little quality opening batsmen, and Cumming isn't really a long term solution there might not be a lot of choice) but he is definitely one of the best talents we have. I don't have a problem with picking players on potential, Australia did it with Michael Clarke and Shane Warne, look how they turned out.

bryce

International Regular
If Guptill scores runs in the India 'A' Tests he'll more than likely be a shoe-in, though if anyone scores runs in those two three-day matches they'll have a good shot. I think it's safe to say we'll find out who our best players' of spin are in the 'A' side

Flem274*

123/5
Franklin > Southee IMO.
Franklin's a very up and down player and on his up's his spells are amazing, every single ball looks like a wicket taker. Bond's much the same but he bowls higher quality more consistently than Franklin, Franklin's biggest bonus when he's at his best is his sometimes prodigious swing. I rate Bond much higher just so you know.

Barring a great change in his performance I think Franklin will cement his place in the team immediately on comeback.
haha oh man these posts seemed so reasonable back in 2008 but look so cray cray now. did manage to derail the thread into a pedantic argument about what bowling better than someone on your day means though.
Oh yes, the wonderfully talented Martin Guptill. What a prolific batsman. No FC centuries and he's one of our up and coming openers in the longer form of the game? What a joke.
#teamblocky

using the third test against west indies as a guide for the firsts, this is what i think would be picked

guptill
brownlie
macewell
ryder (SOS)
daryl mitchell #teamblocky
corey j
ronchi
sodhi
bracewell
henry
milne

dodgy batting, good allrounder, love the fast bowling

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Heh, I remember this thread, one of the few times I ever got a warning, back in my sometimes tumultuous CW youth.

Raval, Papps, Macewell, Ryder, Crachopa (reckon we could lure him back if their was an NZ spot waiting for him), Anderson, Ronchi, Bracewell, Wheeler, Henry, Jeets

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
2008/09? I seem to remember that he bowled a ripper to get rid of Gambhir later that season, which kept the flame sputtering for a little longer, but I don't remember much about him after that. I'm guessing the hopes were largely gone by the end of the following season.

Spark

Global Moderator
oh man imagine our batting for a side like this. we'd be lucky to get to 200 overseas.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So giving our first XI Cook, Robson, Root, Ballance, Bell, Beard. Jos, Jordan, Plunkett, Anderson, Broad

Lyth
Carberry
Trott
Taylor
Bairstow
Bopara
Rashid
Woakes
Bresnan
Wood (if he stays remotely fit)
Brooks

Bit Yorkshire heavy, but so was the Lions squad.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So giving our first XI Cook, Robson, Root, Ballance, Bell, Beard. Jos, Jordan, Plunkett, Anderson, Broad

Lyth
Carberry
Trott
Taylor
Bairstow
Bopara
Rashid
Woakes
Bresnan
Wood (if he stays remotely fit)
Brooks

Bit Yorkshire heavy, but so was the Lions squad.
No Lees? Have him as opener instead of Carbs.

Howe_zat

Audio File
You could make a case for Lees as well, though I agree that in a first-team-missing-crisis you would be looking for experience anywhere if possible.

If not up to me I expect Finn would make the 2nd XI without much debate.

On a tangential note I wonder how much of our best XI is actually 'unavailable'. Between KP, Tresco and Trott there's a fair chunk of it.

grecian

I knew I'd forget someone obvious, yeah Finn in for Brooks probably.

I don't wish to rehash that debate, but I really can't see how you can pick KP in any xi given his lack of play. I've put Trott in because he had a good run at the end of the season.

Monty possibly hardly done by, but with his behaviour problems, and Adil's great last season, Rashid seems a better fit for the balance of the England team you want. Also forgot Compton, who maybe a better shout as opener then Carbs, and gives you some experience too. I'd quite like Mitchell given a go, but Division 2 and all that.

Gnske

Cowan (c)
Hughes
S.Marsh
Khawaja
White
Faulkner
Hartley
O'keefe
Sayers
Pattinson
Hazlewood
12th man: Bollinger/Burns

Athlai

Not Terrible
2008/09? I seem to remember that he bowled a ripper to get rid of Gambhir later that season, which kept the flame sputtering for a little longer, but I don't remember much about him after that. I'm guessing the hopes were largely gone by the end of the following season.
I think he had a fairly good season with the ball in county cricket around 2009-2010 which got us all excited till we saw they were still the same old 120km thunderbolts we'd had for the last 2-3 years.

Pothas

I knew I'd forget someone obvious, yeah Finn in for Brooks probably.

I don't wish to rehash that debate, but I really can't see how you can pick KP in any xi given his lack of play. I've put Trott in because he had a good run at the end of the season.

Monty possibly hardly done by, but with his behaviour problems, and Adil's great last season, Rashid seems a better fit for the balance of the England team you want. Also forgot Compton, who maybe a better shout as opener then Carbs, and gives you some experience too. I'd quite like Mitchell given a go, but Division 2 and all that.
Sidebottom should be there for me.

Vince as well obviously.

Blocky

Banned
NZ:

1. Redmond
2. Raval
3. Flynn
4. Mitchell
5. Franklin *
6. De Boorder +
7. Santner/Beard