• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If your first XI was unavaliable, what would your 2nd XI be?

bryce

International Regular
Yeah pretty hard to sell me to that aswell. I cannot remember ever seeing anything remotely resembling evidence that Franklin's best is better than Bonds best - Bonds best was tearing through Aussie top orders...

Athlai

Not Terrible
Franklin's a very up and down player and on his up's his spells are amazing, every single ball looks like a wicket taker. Bond's much the same but he bowls higher quality more consistently than Franklin, Franklin's biggest bonus when he's at his best is his sometimes prodigious swing. I rate Bond much higher just so you know.

Barring a great change in his performance I think Franklin will cement his place in the team immediately on comeback.

bryce

International Regular
Franklin>Southee @ tests (easily)
It is very easy to say this, Southee has only played two Tests, not to mention Franklin's last Test match was December '06. We're bound to see a few green-tops this season, and Southee is going to be absolutely deadly on them. As I said above raise the point in six months and you might/might not have a point

adharcric

International Coach
Once you get rid of Sehwag, Gambhir, Dravid, Tendulkar, Ganguly, Laxman, Dhoni, Kumble, Harbhajan, Zaheer and Ishant, I'd go for ...

Chopra
Jaffer
Badrinath
Raina
Kaif
Karthik
Yusuf
Chawla/Mishra
Praveen
Sreesanth
RPS/Munaf

Flem274*

123/5
Well our last preffered first team was something like..

How
Redmond
Marshall
Taylor
McCullum
Flynn
Oram
Vettori
Mills
O'Brien
Martin

So..

Watling
Guptill (I've skipped the no hopers like Bell, cbf trying them again until they're better)
Todd (Sinclairs form is too dodgy, unfair to expect him to lead a pack of rookies)
Fulton (Showing signs of regaining form, preffered him to Sinclair. Don't hurt me PEWY)
Broom
Elliott
Hopkins
Southee
Mason
Gillespie
Arnel

They'd get smashed tbh. There'd be a few individuals who'd stand up but collectively could they put it together? Doubt it. Two debutant openers with class (more than Redmond tbh) but lack experience, debutant number three, Fulton has little form, Broom is another classy bat but he'd be a debutant. The bowling would be very hit and miss with only Mason and Elliott probably being able to hit the right spots consistently all day (which is where Southee and especially Gillespie lack). Arnel is a debutant.

Flem274*

123/5
It is very easy to say this, Southee has only played two Tests, not to mention Franklin's last Test match was December '06. We're bound to see a few green-tops this season, and Southee is going to be absolutely deadly on them. As I said above raise the point in six months and you might/might not have a point
Both will be deadly on them. Show a kiwi a greentop and even the medium pacers can take bagfulls.

Southee>line and length

Franklin>swing

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh yes, the wonderfully talented Martin Guptill. What a prolific batsman. No FC centuries and he's one of our up and coming openers in the longer form of the game? What a joke.

Polo23

International Debutant
Oh yes, the wonderfully talented Martin Guptill. What a prolific batsman. No FC centuries and he's one of our up and coming openers in the longer form of the game? What a joke.
Christ, go easy.

He is only 21, and has only played 16 FC matches. While his FC career isnt great, his List A career is.

He is talked up because he has a very tight technique, and he times the ball probably better than anyone else in NZ.

Statistics never tell the whole story.

Perm

Statistics never tell the whole story.
8-)

No, but they tell you that Matthew Bell, Michael Papps, Craig Cumming, Shanan Stewart, BJ Watling and one or two others are better FC batsmen than Martin Guptill.

bryce

International Regular
This opening arguement should wait 'til after the 'A' tour haha because it is so hard to tell. Pretty sure it will be either Guptill or Watling to partner How, though James Marshall is also a distinct possibility. Would hate to see them use Fulton there and for some reason can't see Redmond doing much with the bat in India. I reckon Papps is a quality one-day opener, but don't rate him against the red cherry. He's pretty unlucky not to have got a fair chance in ODI's, given he still has an ODI average over 50

Flem274*

123/5
8-)

No, but they tell you that Matthew Bell, Michael Papps, Craig Cumming, Shanan Stewart, BJ Watling and one or two others are better FC batsmen than Martin Guptill.
I know who I'd back to have the technique and natural ability to last in internationals long term though. Besides, do you really think any of those named bar Stewart has a realistic chance of averaging >35 in tests? Thank God we've stopped using that lot and picked Redmond, whose stats are lesser and may not be a success, but he doesn't look like a rabbit in the headlights unlike the others.

Anyway, Stewart is a middle order bat, whats he doing named as an opener?

Flem274*

123/5
Have taken the novelty of editing this
From what I've seen, Franklin swings the ball more than Southee. I don't dispute the fact that Southee is highly likely to end up the better test bowler, but to suggest he's better than Franklin now? I respectfully disagree.

bryce

International Regular
Based on what they have achieved so far in cricket Franklin would be judged the better bowler, i'm just basing my opinion on having seeing them both bowl and regarding Southee higher

Polo23

International Debutant
8-)

Some very poor comparisons there.

All of those players have played many more FC games than Guptill (Bell 150+, Papps 90+, Cumming 100+) and Stewart bats in the middle order!

Watling is probably the best to compare with from that list, and he has played double the amount of FC games Guptill has.

Any player can be a dud after a handful of games, you need to give someone so young a decent chance before labelling them crap by their average...it is an incredibly naive way to judge a cricketers ability.

It is like you are upset that NZ has an up and coming batsman who actually looks like he could be decent at test level. Whats your problem?

Perm

Forgive me regarding Stewart, but hasn't he opened before? Though that may have been in a few limited overs games.

I'm not saying Guptill will always be a poor FC batsman, but you can't deny that he is at the moment and to say he should be picked ahead of Bell, Cumming, Papps and others is ridiculous. He isn't as good as them. Whether he will be remains to be seen.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Haha, some ridiculous statements being thrown about on this and the last page re: NZ players. I'm not even going to bother.