• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If your first XI was unavaliable, what would your 2nd XI be?

bryce

International Regular
Yeah. Even me, quite possibly his biggest fan, wouldn't ever think of him as captaincy material though. He's a bit weird and temperamental, as a cricketer anyway.
There is actually a reson for that, he was named Central Districts captain today:p
Franklin may be a more proven Test bowler than Southee, but the thing that seperates them for mine is Franklin's tendancy to bowl four-balls, aswell as being virtually in-effective against quality batsman when bowling with the old ball.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
There is actually a reson for that, he was named Central Districts captain today:p
Wow, awesome. I think it's a poor decision myself, but it's good news to me anyway as a die-hard fan-boy. :p

Quite possibly just a carrot to make him stay at CD and resist pursuing a career overseas though.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Franklin may be a more proven Test bowler than Southee, but the thing that seperates them for mine is Franklin's tendancy to bowl four-balls, aswell as being virtually in-effective against quality batsman when bowling with the old ball.
Franklin on his day outbowled Bond, I think that sums up my feelings on the matter. Certainly can leak runs, but he's a real wicket taker.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Wow, awesome. I think it's a poor decision myself, but it's good news to me anyway as a die-hard fan-boy. :p

Quite possibly just a carrot to make him stay at CD and resist pursuing a career overseas though.
Whats with your avvie man?

bryce

International Regular
Yeah definately with the new ball, i'm not convinced about his abilities with the old ball though. He is definately an automatic pick for the Test side, once he has proven fitness & form. I hope he can tidy up his bowling accuracy and make a big push for the ODI side because he would bring alot to the ODI team..

bryce

International Regular
Yeah I would say so, it wasn't long ago when the press apparently had confirmed that Sinclair had signed in the South African domestic competition.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah definately with the new ball, i'm not convinced about his abilities with the old ball though. He is definately an automatic pick for the Test side, once he has proven fitness & form. I hope he can tidy up his bowling accuracy and make a big push for the ODI side because he would bring alot to the ODI team..
I've outlined a few times his rapid improvement to the months prior to his injury, no idea where its gone though. When bowling in tandem with Bond he averaged 21 odd or something in ODI's. Really did well in the WC IMO.

bryce

International Regular
Yeah, I think I was a fan of him until that Aussie tour. He averaged 44 with the ball at 4.68 RPO, almost unheard of for a series test match RPO for a frontline bowler. But he should come back stronger, his batting has improved considerably

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Not sure what our first XI is at the minute, too much up for discussion there. Players I'd put in the second XI for sure are Key, Joyce, Shah, Patel, Prior

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Indian second XI?
  • Dhawan
  • Chopra (FC)/Asnodkar (List-A)
  • Badrinath
  • Kaif
  • Mazumdar (FC)/Manhas (List-A)
  • Abhishek Nayar (FC)/Yusuf Pathan (OB?, List-A)
  • Rajesh Pawar (SLA)
  • Rawat (WK)
  • Yo Mahesh (RMF)
  • MS Gony (RM)
  • Dinda (RFM)
  • RESERVE: Chawla (LBG)
Those not in the team are either for the main team or neither.

pup11

International Coach

Good for Sinclair, but seriously i can't get the theory behind not picking in the NZ side, when guys like Flynn can be part of the side, then i can't see Sinclair doing much worse, he is one their few remaining experienced players and he should be playing for the Black caps, rather then making him waste time at domestic cricket and eventually make him join the lucrative ICL.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I think people tend to underrate Franklin greatly. Remember South Africa? One of the few positives. Hopefully he'll play in the tests for us this summer. Excited at the prospect of seeing Mills, Franklin, Vettori and Martin bowling to Chanders, Sarwan et al at University Oval.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Very possible we could see Southee in that attack, if he has a strong start to the domestic season.

I rate Franklin quite highly but I don't think the argument of "he could out-bowl bowler X on his day" means anything, as most bowlers can occassionally perform better than somebody who is superior to them.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Very possible we could see Southee in that attack, if he has a strong start to the domestic season.

I rate Franklin quite highly but I don't think the argument of "he could out-bowl bowler X on his day" means anything, as most bowlers can occassionally perform better than somebody who is superior to them.
Yeah that's true. On his day, Scott Styris has outbowled our main bowlers (in ODIs). Doesn't mean too much.

bryce

International Regular
Good for Sinclair, but seriously i can't get the theory behind not picking in the NZ side, when guys like Flynn can be part of the side, then i can't see Sinclair doing much worse, he is one their few remaining experienced players and he should be playing for the Black caps, rather then making him waste time at domestic cricket and eventually make him join the lucrative ICL.
Sinclair was given what seemed like a fair chance in the home series vs England and mustered only 71 runs in six innings, whilst looking horribly out of form in every innings. Flynn scored rather lightly in his first couple of seasons of domestic cricket which his why his career averages seems low for an international player. In last years State Championship he scored 663 runs@60.27 with three centuries and 374 runs@41.55 in the State Shield one-day competition, with two centuries. Coupled with the fact he is only 23 years old I don't think it was possible for the selectors to resist.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Don't start me. :p

Athlai

Not Terrible

When I say it I mean Franklin at his best could bowl better than Bond at his best, he's that threatening a player. Not a he's sometimes better than Bond at his average.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When I say it I mean Franklin at his best could bowl better than Bond at his best, he's that threatening a player.
Disagree so, so much. I agree that Franklin is under-rated in Test cricket, but I don't beleive there are many modern fast bowlers who could perform better than Bond when he was at his best. The man was an incredible bowler, and if his body wasn't so fragile I think he could've been the best NZ have produced, and better than most from the current era.