• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mushtaq retires

pup11

International Coach
C'mon hasn't he played enough cricket already, but surely he wasn't able to do justice with his talent at international level, but as you said ECB should involve him in spin coaching role.

Xuhaib

International Coach
C'mon hasn't he played enough cricket already, but surely he wasn't able to do justice with his talent at international level, but as you said ECB should involve him in spin coaching role.
he was never that talented, his int record is just about right for him one feels.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Had to happen eventually, he's not been getting any younger in recent times. Always a shame when injury ruins the end of a player's career, but at least that's one more ICL player out of county cricket, with hopefully no more to come in.

I presume Mushtaq's going to continue playing in the ICL BTW?

As far as international cricket is concerned, an excellent ODI bowler who it's criminal didn't play more, and very briefly a superb Test bowler, but in the end someone who took too long to get to grips with international cricket and who lost that grip again too quickly. A real shame, as Danish Kaneria is clearly a class below him in terms of basic ability.

stumpski

International Captain
He hasn't played much this season anyway, which is why Sussex won't win the Championship again this year, and maybe not for a long time. Still, three titles in five years (I think he took at least 80 wickets each time) - makes him one of the county's greats. I'll miss him, he was always fun to watch.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Possibly the most under-rated spinner from the subcontinent. A pity he missed out on an extended international career.

Ahmed_Tariq

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I'll surely miss Mushy. He was a truly fantastic bowler at county level.

Oh, well. Think I'll just support Hampshire now. :dry:

Precambrian

Banned
What a bowler he's been in the county for Sussex! A true Championship winner. 438 wickets at 25 in 5 years is jus amazing. And he's brought Sussex's only 3 titles during this period, plus being highest wicket taker in all 5 years. Wonder England missed out on putting him in national team, or he was not qualified?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
What a bowler he's been in the county for Sussex! A true Championship winner. 438 wickets at 25 in 5 years is jus amazing. And he's brought Sussex's only 3 titles during this period, plus being highest wicket taker in all 5 years.
Yes his impact has been absolutely phenomenal, both as a bowler and as an inspirational presence. Everyone who's come into contact with him at Sussex says he's one of the nicest people they've ever met. Humble, generous, funny. And leading wicket taker in the country - while playing in the 1st Division - for 5 years running.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Absolute legend.. Inspired me to bowl legspin when he was Somerset's overseas player.. Although his stats may not suggest it (not that they are at all bad), in my opinion he was the second best post-war legspinner.. At his best he was absolutely mesmerising, and unplayable..

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
No, even this season he was playing as an overseas player.
I doubt he would've ever wanted to play for England so I hardly think England missed out on his services in their national side.

Will be disappointing not to see him on the county scene next season and beyond, seemed to just keep getting better and better.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Absolute legend.. Inspired me to bowl legspin when he was Somerset's overseas player.. Although his stats may not suggest it (not that they are at all bad), in my opinion he was the second best post-war legspinner.. At his best he was absolutely mesmerising, and unplayable..
A poor man's Abdul Qadir at best.