• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mushtaq retires

Precambrian

Banned
Mushy given England coaching role

http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/cr...d-coaching-role/2008/10/24/1224351495511.html

Mushtaq Ahmed was named as the new England spin bowling coach by the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) here today.

The 38-year-old former Pakistan leg-spinner, a key figure in Sussex's three County Championship winning teams, will work on a consultancy basis with the spinners in England's Test and One-Day squads as well as promising up-and-coming slow bowlers.

Good news indeed for English spinners. Can't get another overseas spinner who had such a prolific career record in English conditions except Warney.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, read that just now, ITSTL.

Remains to be seen how good a communicator Mushtaq is - but he's undoubtedly a lovely guy with a fine knowledge of wristspin.

As has been noted before though - wristspin isn't something you can just coach. Coaching is important but even with maximum coaching almost everyone who tries is ultimately doomed to fail. It's just ridiculously difficult to bowl and unless you're very special you won't be able to however hard you try.

Precambrian

Banned

Remains to be seen how good a communicator Mushtaq is - but he's undoubtedly a lovely guy with a fine knowledge of wristspin.

As has been noted before though - wristspin isn't something you can just coach. Coaching is important but even with maximum coaching almost everyone who tries is ultimately doomed to fail. It's just ridiculously difficult to bowl and unless you're very special you won't be able to however hard you try.
Given his experience, I feel he'll be comfortable with the finger spinners also.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mushy clearly likes a challenge - I hope he is as successful at turning England's spin bowling fortunes round as he was at turning Sussex into a title winning side

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year

I tend to agree with this. I'm not sure how well qualified he is to coach, say, Monty Panesar. Might have some useful tips to pass on to Rashid or Munday I suppose.

As you say, a truly lovely guy.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Mushy was one of my all time favourite bowlers.

Undoubtedly underachieved at test level - I do think partially that was due to the way he was handled by Pakistani captains throughout the nineties.