• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mushtaq retires

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I doubt he would've ever wanted to play for England so I hardly think England missed out on his services in their national side.
I think there was a time when he was certainly considering it. Saqlain and Azhar Mahmood are both now England-qualified (though unlikely to play, for obvious reasons - neither are that good, Azhar never was).

Xuhaib

International Coach
I think there was a time when he was certainly considering it. Saqlain and Azhar Mahmood are both now England-qualified (though unlikely to play, for obvious reasons - neither are that good, Azhar never was).
In 97-98 he was better then your Mark Ealham's ,Ian Austin's and all the other piss poor all-rounders you guys tried out.

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Qadir was an enigma many a times his off-field antics took his focus away from the game and he suffered from form slumps, talent wise he was miles ahead of mush.
That may be but your description of Mushy as "a poor man's Qadir at best" is pretty misleading. He didn't even play for Pakistan in what were (as he says himself) his best years. His impact in England has been phenomenal.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Didn't Jesse Ryder "consider" the same thing? Obviously it was never going to happen (and so it proved to be) and I'd imagine Mushtaq Ahmed would be a similar enough case.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Does Ryder actually think about anything? Or does he just act impulsively? Evidence to date suggests the latter, and his "move" to Ireland strikes me as one such example.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Does Ryder actually think about anything? Or does he just act impulsively? Evidence to date suggests the latter, and his "move" to Ireland strikes me as one such example.
To be fair, we haven't heard of any further incidents surrounding Ryder since the night out that resulted in him injuring his hand in early March. Effectively that caused him to miss the tour of England, a highlight of any player's career for sure, so hopefully that'll make him think a little harder about his decisions off the field from now on - wouldn't exactly bet on it though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He's 23 (or is it 24?) now - I usually give-up hope on people by that age. If he was going to change you'd think it'd have happened by now.

You always continue to hope though, and sometimes people are, well, late learners.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
He's 23 (or is it 24?) now - I usually give-up hope on people by that age. If he was going to change you'd think it'd have happened by now.

You always continue to hope though, and sometimes people are, well, late learners.
He turned 24 earlier in the month so a pretty good guess there. ;)

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He's 23 (or is it 24?) now - I usually give-up hope on people by that age. If he was going to change you'd think it'd have happened by now..
Disagree very strongly with the above comment.

See Cowan, Jimmy.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Strauss a maverick?

I haven't read any of his autobios, sure, but that just sounds so out-of-place if true.

And Ponting may have been a little errant, but nowhere near as bad as Ryder to date.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah. Dunno how much experience you have of self-destructive types?
I've got plenty, just ftr, and 'writing people off' at 23/24 is absolute lunacy, as well as completely ignorant and uninformed.