• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia and Cricket Tournaments

howardj

International Coach
It really gets up my snoz that Australia, and NZ for that matter, have not hosted a tournament of note since 1992. I loved the 1992 WC when we were joint hosts with NZ. It went off!

I guess some contributing factors for our dry spell have been:

- We're a big, decentralised country, which perhaps does not lend itself to tournament play where ideally teams prefer minimum travel

- The Asian bloc are a bunch of hogs

- We're the best in the world, so we don't need to be propped up with tournaments

- Our spectators, after three beers, are borderline lunatics.

Seriously though, I find it pretty outrageous that, by the time 2015 rolls around, it will be 23 years between drinks. No Champions Trophy, no Pro20 WC, and no World Cup. I think the tournaments should be allocated on a rotational basis and not left to the whim of the ICC.

Thoughts?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I see your point, but until we start regularly keeping our appointments with overseas countries, it's hard to complain.

Although, now we don't have a triangular ODI series each year, I think more people will begin asking about this lack of big cricket tournments down here.

Top_Cat

It really gets up my snoz that Australia, and NZ for that matter, have not hosted a tournament of note since 1992. I loved the 1992 WC when we were joint hosts with NZ. It went off!

I guess some contributing factors for our dry spell have been:

- We're a big, decentralised country, which perhaps does not lend itself to tournament play where ideally teams prefer minimum travel

- The Asian bloc are a bunch of hogs

- We're the best in the world, so we don't need to be propped up with tournaments

- Our spectators, after three beers, are borderline lunatics.

Seriously though, I find it pretty outrageous that, by the time 2015 rolls around, it will be 23 years between drinks. No Champions Trophy, no Pro20 WC, and no World Cup. I think the tournaments should be allocated on a rotational basis and not left to the whim of the ICC.

Thoughts?
Yeah I find it pretty crap, myself. South Africa got both the ODI WC and the 20/20 WC within a couple of years of each other, England have hosted the WC and Champions Trophy within a few years of each other, etc. In 1992, I do remember some complaints about the travel and that NZ didn't travel out of NZ once for the whole WC yet the Aussies only played one game out of Aust (the first-up loss to NZ). The Aussies were looked after in travel too; when they played in Perth, they had a few days beforehand before and after the matches.

The 1992 WC was pretty successful, really. That Pakistan, having been hammered in their earlier games and got lucky in Adelaide with a wash-out they should have lost by heaps, eventually won the whole thing was a bit of a coup. England and NZ just peaked too early.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I see your point, but until we start regularly keeping our appointments with overseas countries, it's hard to complain.

Although, now we don't have a triangular ODI series each year, I think more people will begin asking about this lack of big cricket tournments down here.
Yep.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Its a very valid question to ask, why Australia hasn't hosted a World Cup for so long. I suppose ICC has some logic but it will be highly disputable, one feels.

pup11

International Coach
Its a very valid question to ask, why Australia hasn't hosted a World Cup for so long. I suppose ICC has some logic but it will be highly disputable, one feels.
2011 WC was meant to hosted by both Australia and New Zealand, but the BCCI throwed its weight around and snatched the rights to stage the tournament from AUS and NZ, and now they would stage 2015 WC, but still if find it odd that why they haven't staged any other ICC tournament since 92 WC.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Amazing that we haven't held an international tournament other than the tri-angular series for so long. As Burgey said, with us not having the tri-angular tournament it might give us something to aim for.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Australia did a great job hosting the ’92 WC. I wouldn’t mind it at all to see another big event take place there.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Look, the timezones suck. Maybe shift your island at least six hours here or there in timezone terms and we'll talk.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Purely talking about the WC.

92 was an excellent World Cup. There are however, decent reasons why they have not hosted another since.

First and foremost, they will. It is their time in 2015. Its only a gap of 5 WC and given the number of Test nations that isnt a big deal.

Other points against them would be
- Timezones
- Internal travel
- Small market (compared to India and UK)
- Distance for tourists (Euro POV)
- Desire to give tournaments to different regions (Africa and West Indies)

They (Aus and NZ) may have been harshly treated with Champions Trophy, T20 WCs etc but I dont think so with WC. Its just coming to the end of their cycle and it just feels like an eternity.

Tough on local fans but I think it kind of fits in a fair system.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, but Asia will have hosted two since Aus last hosted it, except for that I agree

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think most people would probably agree that it was a bit rich that Asia usurped Australasia in 2010/11 - it should have been them in 2014/15 and Australasia in 2010/11. Had that happened, there could be no complaints whatsoever about WCs. As far as Twenty20 WCs are concerned, well, there's only been 2 so far. You can say maybe it was rich for SA to be awarded the thing just 5 years after staging the ODI WC - well maybe it was, but SA were one of the first to adopt the Twenty20 format so there's presumably a bigger market for it there than Australia and New Zealand currently. And the Champions Trophy, well, yes maybe they should have had it over India in 2006/07. That's perhaps the most legit of all gripes.

morgieb

I think most people would probably agree that it was a bit rich that Asia usurped Australasia in 2010/11 - it should have been them in 2014/15 and Australasia in 2010/11. Had that happened, there could be no complaints whatsoever about WCs. As far as Twenty20 WCs are concerned, well, there's only been 2 so far. You can say maybe it was rich for SA to be awarded the thing just 5 years after staging the ODI WC - well maybe it was, but SA were one of the first to adopt the Twenty20 format so there's presumably a bigger market for it there than Australia and New Zealand currently. And the Champions Trophy, well, yes maybe they should have had it over India in 2006/07. That's perhaps the most legit of all gripes.
T20WC should come to us next IMO. Asia beat us because of the BCCI's power. I think the reason why we haven't got a Champions Trophy is because it clashes with the NRL & AFL finals.

Precambrian

Banned
Asia also has 4 teams now though..... Thats 2/5ths of the cricketing world. So their logic is that every 3rd or 4th WC should be held in Asia..

And they contribute more than half (Is it 70%?) to the coffers of the ICC. Even though they have only 4 votes. Heck what am I talking, India contributes 70% to ICC, even though it has 1 vote! By popular logic, BCCI should decide where to conduct world cup. :ph34r:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Asia also has 4 teams now though..... Thats 2/5ths of the cricketing world. So their logic is that every 3rd or 4th WC should be held in Asia..
That Bangladesh is considered any more "part of the cricketing World" than Kenya or heck even Ireland if one will insist that Ireland is a separate team is ridiculous though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think the reason why we haven't got a Champions Trophy is because it clashes with the NRL & AFL finals.
That simply means that if it's to be held in Australia, it can't be being staged in September\October time.

Precambrian

Banned
That Bangladesh is considered any more "part of the cricketing World" than Kenya or heck even Ireland if one will insist that Ireland is a separate team is ridiculous though.
Naa, Bangladesh is way above kenya and Ireland. Bangladesh has already beat the top test teams in ODIs.