• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia A and New Zealand A in India

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Not a whole lot of chance of him getting a game in the FC matches though is there?
I'd leave Casson out. :p

Not particularly likely though. There's probably more chance of all three spinners playing than Casson being left out.

pup11

International Coach
Looking forward for this series, its a good testing ground for both Australia and India ahead of their big test series in October, both sides look pretty good on paper.
Personally would have liked to see Pomersbach in the Aussie A squad, but i am happy to see guys like Hughes, Forrest and Bailey being given a chance.
Plenty of guys in both squads who would be looking to impress their respective selectors in order to get picked for the Indo-Aus series, so its going to be a closely fought contest.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I am really excited for George Bailey. He just looks like a tremendous batter who I'd love to see perform well on the tour.

adharcric

International Coach
Interestingly enough, the bowling seems to be heavily statistic based - specifically wickets taken last season. Vinay Kumar, Mohnish Parmar and Tyagi's selections have come purely from their performances this season and India 'A' stalwarts like Yo Mahesh and Pankaj Singh have been discarded - while VRV Singh still fails to find a place in the side despite a very strong domestic season - has he simply jumped straight into the Test squad? The inclusion of Uthappa and Kukreja ahead of Chopra is baffling to say the least and perhaps suggest that Chopra's India career is over as the selectors feel that he cannot 'handle' Australia, as shown in his tour to Australia in 2003/4 and that improvement has not been sufficient to warrent changing this opinion - a sad state of affairs. Someone like Uthappa who is only an average FC player should really not be anywhere near the Test team and it is a travesty that he is - heck, he didn't even have a good FC season this year! Dhawal Kulkarni has not even a FC game under his belt and they put him in the squad? On what basis? On his IPL performances?! Please don't say on his U19 performances?!
You're forgetting that this squad has been selected for one-day matches as well.

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
I think you are confusing him with Sangwan.

yes,i have seen tyagi he plays for u.p and is a tall bloke with a high arm action
bowls around 135-140 and gets good bounce ,this is what i saw of him in adoestic match versus bengal.

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
Interestingly enough, the bowling seems to be heavily statistic based - specifically wickets taken last season. Vinay Kumar, Mohnish Parmar and Tyagi's selections have come purely from their performances this season and India 'A' stalwarts like Yo Mahesh and Pankaj Singh have been discarded - while VRV Singh still fails to find a place in the side despite a very strong domestic season - has he simply jumped straight into the Test squad? The inclusion of Uthappa and Kukreja ahead of Chopra is baffling to say the least and perhaps suggest that Chopra's India career is over as the selectors feel that he cannot 'handle' Australia, as shown in his tour to Australia in 2003/4 and that improvement has not been sufficient to warrent changing this opinion - a sad state of affairs. Someone like Uthappa who is only an average FC player should really not be anywhere near the Test team and it is a travesty that he is - heck, he didn't even have a good FC season this year! Dhawal Kulkarni has not even a FC game under his belt and they put him in the squad? On what basis? On his IPL performances?! Please don't say on his U19 performances?!
selectors do have to look at domestic performances,but selcting vinay kumar ahead of
yomahesh is a joke,

also robin Uthappa should not have been dropped he did wel lin the finals in australia
then he was never played as ipl players like yousuf pathan got the nod and the few matches he played he looked good, and e ven though his fc record is not good
he will be a good opener for india i future,

Ahmed_Tariq

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Wow, looks to be a pretty close and exciting series. Both the squads are excellent but what I think is that Australia have that edge over India in this series. Better squad and psychological edge anyways. :huh:

Ahmed_Tariq

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
selectors do have to look at domestic performances,but selcting vinay kumar ahead of
yomahesh is a joke,

also robin Uthappa should not have been dropped he did wel lin the finals in australia
then he was never played as ipl players like yousuf pathan got the nod and the few matches he played he looked good, and e ven though his fc record is not good
he will be a good opener for india i future,
Yeah, thought the selectors would give Yomi a chance after his excellent string of IPL performances.

And yeah, Robin Uthappa remains a quality player for India and India A and certainly should not be dropped.

adharcric

International Coach
I'm under the impression that it isn't. Can anyone confirm one way or the other?
Trust me, it is. The selectors aren't stupid enough to select Dhawal Kulkarni in a form he's never even played at the domestic level.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Still not sure.

Sreesanth, the India fast bowler, has been included in the A team that will play two three-day matches against Australia A in September.

Robin Uthappa and Piyush Chawla, who were dropped from the squad for the tour of Sri Lanka, were included in the 15-member squad. The first match against Australia A will be held in Bangalore from September 3 to 5 and the second game will be held from September 9 to 11 in Hyderabad.
Source: cricinfo

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
VRV Singh: One of those bowlers picked on the promise of pace rather than performance. He's been carrying one injury too many, which is why he often misses out on matches in FC/List-A in India. He hasn't run through teams consistently enough, and his lack of pace and athleticism on the field may have kept him back. If he was express pace, he would have performed like, say, Dale Steyn, not like this.

Pankaj Singh: Wonder what he has done to stand a chance to make this team. He isn't much better than average, except for his height, and he played for IPL winners Rajasthan Royals.

Chopra v/s Uthappa and Kukreja: More a contender for Board XI than India A, Chopra would be ideal for facing visiting international teams. In fact, he's also a good limited-overs opener to choose. However, looking at this Australian team, who have picked several newcomers with a few barely-established internationals, there's no real need to fill the team with rejects or near-rejects from the Indian team. This team should be a development squad for youngsters to learn in. That said, Kukreja is a really strange selection. Uthappa, though, could use such an event to get back in form and stay at his best position- opening the innings.

Yo Mahesh: Maybe he missed out due to lack of experience or a high average over 30. He too is a useful, multi-purpose bowler, and has been an unsung hero in the IPL in that glamorous attack with McGrath, Mohammed Asif and Maharoof- getting wickets regularly. Vinay Kumar isn't too bad a selection, but Yo Mahesh should also have made the cut.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd replace Vinay Kumar, Dhawal Kulkarni, Mohnish Parmar and Sahil Kukreja with VRV Singh, Pankaj Singh, Yusuf Pathan and Akash Chopra.
Fully agree with that, though Yo Mahesh may be considered as an extra pacer. Selecting Kulkarni is a longshot, while Parmar is a mystery- not his bowling, but his selection.

The question is, how do you put in all three of Yusuf, Chawla and Mishra? Yusuf is the best all-round option, though the others are better bowlers. A lower order of Chawla, Mishra and Vinay Kumar at seven, eight and nine, can be effective (thinking of Vaas, Maharoof and Kulasekara) and maybe could be stretched further with Yo Mahesh.

bryce

International Regular
Very strong and well balanced NZ side named, this series will definately be one worth following.