• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

back injury, please help

pnesam07

Cricket Spectator
Back injury, please answer
Hello
im a fourteen year old fast bowler.
four weeks ago i fell hard on my back so hard it cracked on impact.
i went to the doctor and he said keep bowling fast and take painkillers.
i went back 10 days later because it didnt go away and he said come back in a week if it hadnt gone and still train and take painkillers.
i went to a different doctor this time because it still hadnt gone this time they gave me a week of recoverery and 10 days after that it still hasnt gone. i couldnt feel a pain spot on my back till yesterday when i started bowling a few balls now i can feel the pain spot its right next to my shoulder blade how come i can only feel it now its not really bad pain at all its just tweaky. and the pain seem to have calmed down abit.the doctor said i havent broken anything

how long left before it goes, and what do i need to do to get rid of it.
im very upset and fustrated about this because this is the only time all year i get to play cricket because winter is nearly here.

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
Sit out the rest of the season and come back to it in the summer is what I would do. No need to do yourself a major injury, right?

stumpski

International Captain
Surprised the doctor told him to keep bowling fast tbh. You'd think at least he would've suggested switching to spin for a while. But yeah, the season's nearly over anyway, clearly rest is what's needed. Batting and fielding will aggravate an injury too.

pnesam07

Cricket Spectator
problem is im getting district trials in october and i need alot of bowling practice in the nets.

thats my problem

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Hello
i went back 10 days later because it didnt go away and he said come back in a week if it hadnt gone and still train and take painkillers.
i went to a different doctor this time because it still hadnt gone this time they gave me a week of recoverery and 10 days after that it still hasnt gone. i couldnt feel a pain spot on my back till yesterday when i started bowling a few balls now i can feel the pain spot its right next to my shoulder blade how come i can only feel it now its not really bad pain at all its just tweaky. and the pain seem to have calmed down abit.the doctor said i havent broken anything

im very upset and fustrated about this because this is the only time all year i get to play cricket because winter is nearly here.
Do you have any idea what the injury is ?

Were any x-rays, scans etc done ?

If yes, what were the results and if not why not ?

You need to know this and worry about your back more than the season unless the doctors have checked everything and confirmed that the injury is superfluous. In which case you just need to take rest till the niggle goes completely otherwise you wont let it heal.

pup11

International Coach
I can relate to what you going through mate, i used to play club cricket too, but last year i had stress fracture in my lower back, and my doctor advised me take it easy for a while and go through a rehab programme, but i didn't really follow his instructions that seriously, i started playing again after a month of lay-off itself and during one game while bowling i felt excruciating pain in my lower back again, and my doctor told me i have just aggravated my injury further, and its now been almost 15 months since the incident but i am still to fully recover, leave alone playing cricket, sometimes even bending forward or backwards can cause my back to hurt like hell, so mate i would just like to advise you do listen to everything that your doctor says and follow it seriously.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hello

Go to someone who deals with these type of injuries specifically (i.e: Chiropractor, physio, etc etc) as they'll probably do a better job. I would have gone somewhere else as soon as the words 'keep bowling fast' came out of the doctor's mouth. You're 14 and don't want a back injury to become something that causes constant problems.

Chemosit

First Class Debutant
What most of the above have said, but I would add that you need to find someone to show you some specific exercises to stretch and then strengthen the affected area once you are fixed. Stuff your back up now at 14 and you will have serious problems throughout your life.